Found GNX #3

Greetings.

I am new here. I think that I have found GNX #3. A coworker and I were talking. Said that the lady next door has a GNX. I asked him "do you know the difference between a GNX and GN". He said yeah. It has a plaque that states that it is #3 as well as all the differences of them compaired to the gn's. Ok. Sounds good so far.

Then learn that the original owner has a bunch of REAL rare cars. Cobra, GNX and others. Find out that this guy has been investigated by the irs, the guy apparently said that he sells magazines, but bought this house cash, all these cars (real) and then when something is about to happen (irs) he rolls a tractor on himself, killing himself.

So, the wife, apparently cannot sell the house, or the cars because of the IRS, waiting for the statute of limitation to run out before she can get rid of some of this stuff, otherwise taking a big hit financially.

But my co-worker was taken on a ride in this car. Remembers the #3 plaque. Knows the difference between a GN and GNX.

What do you all think? I am planning on going out to take a look, and see if a deal can be had.

If it turns out to be the real deal, What is the worth of #3?

Any help seriously appreciated. And I mean Seriously.

Thanks in advance

Is the car in Nigeria ??? Sorry I wouldn't believe a word untill I saw it with my own eyes :eek:

I guess what I am asking is does anyone know where #3 is? Has anyone ever come across it? Because if the answer is yes, we know where it is then I wont bother wasting my time and chalk it up to a co-worker who doesnt know his stuff.

But if #3 is out there, somewhere and no one knows where, then it might be worth checking out.

What do you think?

hmmm

Might be like those stories about the new TA/Z28/Vette someone died in and it only has 100 miles but it stinks and you can get it for $50.
It might be true,but who commits suicide by tractor? But if the IRS has a lean on it would it have a statute of limitation? If it is true and you can get it from her I would check into the IRS crap fully.

If it truely is GNX#3 and you can get a hold of it then I would , because GNX#3 is the first GNX that could be owned privatley as #'s 1 and 2 are owned by Buick. #'s 3 thru 10 were originally given to top ranking Buick and GM officials, most have since been sold to private individuals. #11 was the first available for public sell.

Well that is why I am asking questions here.

itsav6, I dont think he commited suicide by tractor. From what I understand, he had the irs investigating him, and he just happened to have a freak accident with a tractor.

And yes, as far as I know, there is a statute of limitations. Which is why his wife still has everything. She cant sell the house or anything he owned, because then the irs would get a big chunk of it.

So #3 is the first one in private hands huh? What would be the value of it, depending on mileage and condition of course?

I am still trying to set up a look at it. My co-worker has been on vacation.

We shall see.

some times too good to be true is TRUE.
will your hand fall of if you take some time to check it out or will it make you go broke.
if no
check it out you might end up on top of the GNX food chain.

BTW my uncle only works with 350 chevys but he knows so much about every other car/engine its crazy. i mean he set the timing on my RX2.
that said.
your co-worker may know a little about GNs and GNXs even if he doesen't dream about buicks all day like some of us.
Wish you luck with that find.
Dave.

I was on the verge of buying a GNX in 89-90 and kept track of ads with GNX's and their numbers and asking prices during that time. I found the list (of about 100 GNX's) the other day and have a notation that GNX#3 was advertised for sale in the May 1989 Hemmings for $39,500. I wonder if that is when they bought it? In that same issue of Hemmings, #11 is for sale for $38,500. Paul

I am no GNX expert by a long shot but I have to disagree with my85grandnational as my buddy owned number 5 GNX and he bought it from a BIG GM dealer in CA. owned by Lou Webb. Lou bought it for his kid and it just sat in storage for years. I was driving it when it turned 500 miles and when my buddy sold it it had 965 miles on it. I have the spare number 5 dash plaque number that was purchased with the car. :eek: :biggrin:

I would most definately check it out. I actually know where a Boss 429 mustang engine is in a truck. An old friend of mine dad bought it new and totaled it out dui. It was pulled out of the car and put in a 3/4 ton farm truck,and yes I have seen it back in the 80's when we were in highschool. They wouldn't sell it. Haven't saw it in many years though.

m233roller said:
I am no GNX expert by a long shot but I have to disagree with my85grandnational as my buddy owned number 5 GNX and he bought it from a BIG GM dealer in CA. owned by Lou Webb. Lou bought it for his kid and it just sat in storage for years. I was driving it when it turned 500 miles and when my buddy sold it it had 965 miles on it. I have the spare number 5 dash plaque number that was purchased with the car. :eek: :biggrin:
That is just always what I have been told about the first 10 GNX's and what I have read as well.

I mentioned earlier, I compiled in 88-90, a listing of GNX for sale ads. On my list is #007 ( a very cool number don't you think) which had 5982 miles and was advertised for sale at $40,000 in 90 in Turbotunes' newsletter. Interesting... but useless... information :) Paul

OK, I just talked to the co-worker. He is going to try to set up a meeting with the widow who owns it. Had a good chat with the co-worker. He said that it hasnt seen the light of day in 15 years. Ever since the owner accidentally flipped a tractor over on himself. He said that the only reason he knows that she still has it was because they were at a picnic and she was talking about it and how she still owns it.

So hopefully this pans out.

I dont or would never be able to own this car. I dont have that kind of scratch. I can dream though. :) (maybe if I take a loan out against the house, sell everything I own, then maybe.)

take a camera for proof.
no one heres wants too just read about it. all you'll get is ridicule!

be a cool find tho.

reminds me of the story about the widow who owned one of the original 4 (i think was the #) Shelby Daytona coupes.

I beleive that if you owe the IRS, then they can come seize anything that was in your name, whether you are dead or alive....maybe I'm wrong, but it does not have to be cash, if its an item they can prove was bought with unreported earned money, they can take it.

Yeah, I will be sure to take a camera. You kidding me. A find like that and not be able to show proof? lol If that were the case, I would expect to be ridiculed.

As far as the IRS thing. That is just what I am told. Could be that they were looking into him and then he died, dropped it, and the wife is just holding onto it for a retirement fund. Who knows.

I will keep everyone here posted as to my findings.

Interesting Story Keep us posted

Hopefully this can be like the one I heard. And you get it for a real good deal.
A wife got really mad that she caught her husband cheating on her and long story short she sold the car for a realllll cheap price just to piss him off after she won it in the divorce. Sold it for like 500 bucks and this was a brand new corvette about 6 years ago..

EGOKILR said:
Hopefully this can be like the one I heard. And you get it for a real good deal.
A wife got really mad that she caught her husband cheating on her and long story short she sold the car for a realllll cheap price just to piss him off after she won it in the divorce. Sold it for like 500 bucks and this was a brand new corvette about 6 years ago..

Boy thats one dumb and :confused: Girl

According to a 6 page article written in a magazine called Muscle Cars of the 60s / 70s, from Winter 1989, GNX # 003 was the car used in all the magazine photo - test shoots. Says it was on display at the muscle car collection at Springfield '89.

Car was owned by a collector from Lima, Ohio, then was sold to a guy from PA, who just happens to owns the last '87 GN built. GNX's at that time were getting $35k, and it says this particular vehicle sold for significantly more than that because of its pedigree.

The article states the mileage as 9049.2. VIN # 1G4GJ1175HP439268, Buick fleet # 47GB144. There also was an Automobile Magazine sticker placed on the lower drivers side windshield next to the Buick fleet sticker.

Maybe this info will help on the search.

Hunter: you don't say anywhere, so what state are you in?

BTW, put a loan on that house & nab the X!!! Probably a better investment than the real estate. Of course, ya can't live in it if things go bad! :eek:

I've read the story on the last GN built. So I guess the dealer guy from CA (or whereever it was) who bought it, and GM let him and his wife and kid walk through the plant while the workers signed it, etc...., ended up selling that car? I thought he was going to keep it forever on display at his dealership? sorry for off the subject.