Front QA1 adjustable coil overs, lets discuss these!

jdpolzin

Ok guys, I need to lower the front of my car and cant decide which route to go with. I have new Bilstein shocks and thought about just getting lowering springs for the front but I have heard the QA1 adjustables are pretty darn nice. So my question is, Do you have to re-align the front every time you adjust them??? Or do you just drive it for a while with out an alignment and see where you think they feel best, then get them aligned?? Also, what problems come with these? -------Jeremy

I would have it lined up for sure, I didn't do coil overs but put new shocks, springs, uppers and lowers on and it was out for sure. I also replaced all steering componets but anytime I removed and replaced anything up there an alignment is in order IMO. By the way I know I will get smashed for this but for Racing purposes my suspension guy will not use coil overs up front, says limits travel to bad:eek:

Yeah I just dont know what the best route to lower the front of the car is?? I have read and read different posts about this. I need to lower the front 1.5".

Yeah that is one option that I like but that only lowers it 1/2" right?? I need 1" more. I really dont know what the best route to go with is?

Good call... do them all!! Ball joints, springs etc. Together they should make for one low regal! I'm fishing here... :smile:

I run this setup
1st problem with stock lower control arms the mounting will scare you the thin bottom holding the unit on.

2nd problem when instaiing mount spring has high as possable, it a bitch to try to get them up.

3rd You have to adjust, even after you drive to get even on booth sides.

4th problem with stock control arm you can't hardly adjust shock.

I went with the big block spring and BMR lower control arms and love the setup went with the tops and it made for easy install from stock systemI used dropped spindle for 15 years hated the front tire rubbing.

I get no rubbing and the handling is awsome and the ride is very good.\

BMR Fabrication Inc.
:biggrin:

What is your total drop in the front and what are you looking at as far as $$$? Thanks for the help!

I went with the big block spring and BMR lower control arms and love the setup went with the tops and it made for easy install from stock systemI used dropped spindle for 15 years hated the front tire rubbing.

BMR Fabrication Inc.

Nevermind, I misread.

I run this setup
1st problem with stock lower control arms the mounting will scare you the thin bottom holding the unit on.

2nd problem when instaiing mount spring has high as possable, it a bitch to try to get them up.

3rd You have to adjust, even after you drive to get even on booth sides.

4th problem with stock control arm you can't hardly adjust shock.

BMR Fabrication Inc.

Which spring rate did you go with? On the summit website they list the 450lb spring as the big block version, but the 500lb versions as the small block even tho it has a higher spring rate, and they also have a 550lb spring. Also, did you have to cut the coils? Did you do coil overs in the rear?

ITs the package for big block G body cars and no you don't cut the coil they are adjustable. Stock setup in rear

ITs the package for big block G body cars and no you don't cut the coil they are adjustable. Stock setup in rear

I asked which spring rate your big block version springs are because different vendors list the big block version with different spring rates. Umi performance lists the big block version with the 500lb spring, but Summit lists big block version with the 450lb spring. Do you remember the part number or spring rate of the setup you bought? Should be either gmp-1450 (450lb spring), gmp 1500 (500lb spring), or gmp 1550 (550lb spring)?

Just wanted to add that I called qa1 tech support today and asked them which coilovers i need for a 87 g-body with a big block and they told me they dind't know. They said I need to chose the spring rate based on the total front end weight of the car. 350lb spring for 1701-1900lbs front end weight. 450lb spring for 1901-2100lb. 500lb spring for 1951-2200lbs. 550lb spring for 2101-2300lbs.

I believe it was 500 It depends if you want to dragrace or road race. I want the heavier for handling.

For anyone doing research on these... I found an older QA1 catalog and the confusion i had with the big block/small block spring rates was because they used to only have 2 spring rates in the past. 350lb/in small block spring and a 500lb/in big block spring. Currently they offer 4 spring rates based on the front end weight. Mine was 1,980lbs and i used the 450lb/in spring.

xcessiv, how much of a drop were you able to get with the coilovers adjusted all the way down? Currently I have the coilovers adjusted all the way down. After a 30min test ride the springs set about 1/2" resulting in a 1" total drop as compared to stock. Did it take a couple of days for the springs to set? You posted that you used to have drop spindles, did you go back to stock spindles when you installed the coilvers or did you keep the drop spindles and installed the coilovers? I was hoping to get atleast a 2" drop from just the coilovers.

I just purchased the 450 lbers for my setup.

Tubular Spohn lowers, QA1 12 way adjustable shocks, QA1 450 lb springs, and tubular uppers, with all new bushings and tie rods.

The 450 lbers are going to be too loose for my application. I would tell all to get the 500 lb springs.