You can type here any text you want

Front upper control arm knurled bolt to control arm shaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dyermullet

Does anyone make a replacement bolt with a larger knurling. Both of the holes on the passenger side of my car (87 WE4) are opened up and the knurling won't grab.

Thanks
Scott

The standard fix is to put a tack weld on the bolt head side of that bolt. I'm sure any place you take it for an alignment can and has done it numerous times. It's usually caused by people putting a ratchet on one side and a wrench on the other because they don't know the knurling is there.

The standard fix is to put a tack weld on the bolt head side of that bolt. I'm sure any place you take it for an alignment can and has done it numerous times. It's usually caused by people putting a ratchet on one side and a wrench on the other because they don't know the knurling is there.

X2 Weld it

Thanks guys, they already have tack welds on them from the last time I had to align the car. The tack welds make it difficult to remove(impossible) that control arm because of the down pipe. Anyone ideas of a source for a proper replacement?

And btw I do the alignment myself.

You might be able to see the size of the hole VS the the knurl and see if there's a wheel stud and nut that might take it's place. Not a good situation.:(

The stock bolts are still available new through GM I believe. Had a 80's GM truck with one broken and the local dealer was where we had to get the new one from.

Thanks for the reply guys. I can get a stock bolt I am trying to find a source for a bolt with an over sized spline. The holes in the frame are now too large to for the knurling to grab. I have been trying to find a "help" type part. I will try fastenal tomorrow. I have had good luck in the past finding odd bolts at fastenall.

Try Mark Savitske at SC&C. I know he's big into suspension and maybe he's dealt with this before. I know I remember seeing replacement hardware on his website. Couldn't find it though. They're closed until Tuesday however.

As dumb as it may sound, have you considered looking at wheel studs? You should be able to get a locking nut for what ever thread you choose from fastenall but you will need to weld the back in place.

weld a bead to the stock bolt along a spline and put a small grove in the frame hole crank it in
it wont spin and you can still slide the bolt out for header work and not have lost a day searching for a bolt you already have

and besides easy way is just put a wrench on the bolt ..it does have a hex head

weld a bead to the stock bolt along a spline and put a small grove in the frame hole crank it in
it wont spin and you can still slide the bolt out for header work and not have lost a day searching for a bolt you already have

and besides easy way is just put a wrench on the bolt ..it does have a hex head

Thanks for the reply,

It was 7 years ago when I was dealing with aligning the car last and I am going by memory. Will I be able to get a wrench on that bolt with everything assembled? If it was that easy I wouldn't have broke the balljoint loose and welded them last time. I don't want to have to break the balljoint every time I try a shim change.

LOL You got to admire a guy that sells $10 worth of nuts, bolts, and lock washers for almost $50 and people buy it.:biggrin:

if you can source the same or better hardware for cheap enough that you can sell it cheaper than that and still make a profit, then go for it. i'm sure you would make a lot of people happy to have a cheaper alternative.

if you can source the same or better hardware for cheap enough that you can sell it cheaper than that and still make a profit, then go for it. i'm sure you would make a lot of people happy to have a cheaper alternative.

Um, let's see here.:biggrin: Granger, fastenall, Fort Worth Bolt and tool, and I'm sure there's more than that.:eek: The uneducated buy from someone because they're either too lazy to find the parts they need or to ignorant to realize that BS belongs on the flowers, not in a sales pitch.:biggrin:

Um, let's see here.:biggrin: Granger, fastenall, Fort Worth Bolt and tool, and I'm sure there's more than that.:eek: The uneducated buy from someone because they're either too lazy to find the parts they need or to ignorant to realize that BS belongs on the flowers, not in a sales pitch.:biggrin:

I searched the Grainger and Fastenal catalogs but couldn't find 17-4 Hardened stainless bolts, washers, and locknuts.
You have a part number ??

well, if it's so easy then you should be able to find everything in a matter of minutes and provide everyone with part numbers and price breakdowns for the sites where you find the stuff. how about you find the stuff online within 24 hours and get back to us..

Back