You can type here any text you want

Full Throttle 210/215 cam kit question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojitsu85

Are the 8.225 pushrods that come in this kit for unmilled stock heads? What is the preload for the hydraulic roller lifters that come in this kit?

The included push rods are for a typical 3.8-7 using stock head gaskets. Shoot for .030" pre-load. .010" to .060" is acceptable. If you want a little more power and can put up with a little "noise", shoot for .001"-.005" (aka zero lash)
There are so many things that can effect lifter pre-load. Some of them are: Head gaskets, block milling, head milling, cam base circle, valve stem installed highth, rocker pedistal machining tolerance, rocker arm tolerance, lifter tolerance, cam bore center-line, lifter bore angle, angle milling the block or heads, push rod length, wrong push rod ball, the phase of the moon, and Vernal equinox. just to name a few. Check everything..............twice.

So if the heads have been milled and I'm using Cometic head gaskets The pushrods would be to long? I've been trying to figure out why I have a miss and after upgrading and replacing everything electrical on the car that I can I'm thinking these pushrods might be to long for my milled heads. I'm going to call the machinist tomorrow to see how much the heads were milled to see if this theory holds weight.

When my valves are closed, I can still spin the pushrod a little by hand. If you can do this, your pushrods can't be too long.....did adjustable rockers come with your kit? I ended up getting some 8.125 pushrods due to one of my heads having a taller rocker pedestal than the other (got the head off of a 3L Buick Century)

You can use adjustable push rods to be able to get EACH lifter adjusted correctly, or step up to roller rockers, which will also require a .100" shorter push rod (typically), and a taller set of valve covers or valve cover spacers. Roller rockers is the best way to go. MUCH better. See........these cars ARE a money pit!$$$$$$$$$

I got the Comp Cams pushrod length checker 7.8-8.8. I checked three diffrent cylinders. From 7.8 I adjusted the checker .060. So 7.8 + .060 +.030 for the preload I should get a 7.9 to 8.0 pushrod correct? I don't have a dial indicator so I'm going to take it some were that can do a proper meassurement.

I'm using stock rockers. Does ayone know if the rockers for these are ball/ball or cup/ball? Some one told me that they are cup/cup but Comp Cams told me today that there is no such pushrod as cup/cup.

I am very interested to hear what you come up with, I just got the same cam kit as you last week. I have not yet built the engine but I am also running stock rocker arms.

As far as you question I am a little confused, your push rods are ball on both ends your lifter and rocker are cupped.????? don't know if that helps or I am lost also:confused:

Anyway I also bought a push rod checker so when I assemble I will know where I am but from what you are going through it sounds like the push rods I got will not work. Kinda thought so....that is usually how it goes with these cars.

I just got off the phone with Mike from Full Throttle and Im sure that I measured wrong so I'm going to go home and do it over so please don't listen to my last post I'll measure again properly and post my findings. No Amelio your not lost I was given wrong information about the pushrods from some one who barley looked at them and told me they are cup/cup but really are ball/ball.

ok great good to know I am not loosing it:D please let me know what you find since you are building/built the same set up I have in boxes in my garage.

Before I bought this cam I poked around a good bit and I goatherd that there are no guaranteed to fit push rods for any combo. At the worst I will have to wait a little longer to save up for some adjustable roller rockers.

But please post up your findings so I will have a better idea of what I am gettting into when I start assembling in a few weeks.

Thanks!

I set the engine at tdc and checked cylinder one I measured it at 8.1 with me able to spin the pushrod length tool freeley with my index and thumb. Any more and it wouldn't budge.

So an 8.125 pushrod would be the right one based on that measurement. Next size up would be 8.150 I normally do not recommend runnning the Comp lifters at less that .030 preload ever. I have run as much as .060 with NO problems or loss in power. The only thing I ever got running less that .030 is noise. Your milage may vary.
Mike

Not to hijack your thread but does anyone have any feedback who has used this cam??? I've got one going into the new engine...

I checked mine with a dial indicator in the lifter valley to a small spacer I made that would drop into the lifter between the spring lock and the pushrod. With the pushrods that came with the kit (8.125 I think, I will check) my pre load varied between .048-.054. This was with non milled heads and fel-pro 1007's. had other issues with the heads so they are currently at the machine shop. But I am going to use cometics at .051 thickness to make up for the .010 they are shaving. I should be within .005 of what I mesured initially. Stock rockers on HD shafts. Jon Hanson

the supplied pushrod is 8.225" your numbers seem right on with what I would expect with the gasket which is much thinner than stock
Mike

Back