G7 Hanger Assembly issue

Chevman2448

First off I tried sending the manufacturer a message about this but they are not accepting private conversations on this forum. I emailed the vendor off site as well. With that stated I dont mean to belittle any manufacturer or anyone's products. For the most part the hanger assembly works electronically and fit nicely. Before I state the issue I found realize that all the fuel equipment installed on my TR is/was brand new when I purchased it (fuel lines, tank, FPR, everything). Im only bringing this to everyones attention so they look over the parts they purchase before installing.

I was having fuel pressure issues with my TR. The pressure was so high that I was tearing FPR diaphragms. I installed new return lines, feed lines and all that stuff. Thinking there was an issue with my factory lines I put a -6 return line on the car. I primed the system and it had good fuel pressure. During my testing I noticed that the pressure began to spike again. Now that I know this issue has nothing to do with my fuel lines, I dropped the gas tank and pulled out the hanger assembly. I blew some air through the lines and low and behold the return line on the hanger assembly had a blockage in it. I thought, check ball? No reason for it. I unfortunately wasnt able to get a picture of it since it was actually inside the return line itself up near where the fuel level sender assembly was mounted. Ultimately I had to cut the line and put a t handle allen wrench in there and hit it with a hammer to get it out. It appears to look like a ceramic BB or a plastic BB. It was such a tight fit in the tube that there is no way it just rolled in there.

Its installed back in the fuel tank already. I had some extra submersible fuel line and put it back together with some worm clamps. If I have level sensor issues I will take it back out. I knew I should have snapped a picture of the hanger.
The little ball thing is ceramic. I tried heating it up.

Oh I responded to that with the photo posted above. They then said I should have talked to them on their forum before destroying the part and that they likely would have replaced it. They are right about that and that I should have contacted them before cutting the piece. I got impatient. Plus I didnt want to send the part back and wait for them to send me a new piece. Besides the part still works. The fuel level sensor might be a bit off now though since it likely sits at a different angle than it did before.

"Billy Mays here to tell you about an exciting opportunity!!!!"

"FREE CERAMIC BALL to metamorphasize for every "faulty" installation!!!" o_O

Oh I responded to that with the photo posted above. They then said I should have talked to them on their forum before destroying the part and that they likely would have replaced it. They are right about that and that I should have contacted them before cutting the piece. I got impatient. Plus I didnt want to send the part back and wait for them to send me a new piece. Besides the part still works. The fuel level sensor might be a bit off now though since it likely sits at a different angle than it did before.

Didn't you have to 'destroy' it to find the problem and know it was an issue with the hangar?

I'm trying to figure out how it got in there well enough that you couldn't blow it out with compressed air. ESP if there's a bend in the way. Either that or my mental image isn't 100% accurate on this one.

There was literally no way I could have gotten the ball out without cutting the pipe. I unfortunately didnt have access to a compressor at the time (borrowed the last one to blow out the lines on the car and gave it back thinking I was done with it). I should have just borrowed the compressor again just to see if it would work. As tight as it was I dont think that would have worked. Lung power just wouldnt cut it.

The bearing/bb was just below the S bend on the hanger assembly. I couldnt get anything through the assembly to push the bearing out through the top because of the 90 deg bend that is in the first part of the pipe or the S bend below it and couldnt push it through/out the bottom for the same reason. I tried pushing a nylon tube in there ( part of a broken powered antenna) but was worried that that would break off in there. Drilling the piece would not work either. I tried that for a while but there isnt even a scratch on the ball. As far as how it got in there I can only make assumptions. I know with absolute certainty that it did not just happen to roll into that tube based on how tight the fit was. It had to be placed inside the tube. Im going to assume it was by accident.

Weird stuff. I had a feeling it was a problem with your return line somehow deadheading your pump.... but I never would have guessed at a phantom sphere in there.

Good news is when I get my remaining parts tomorrow I will be able to start it. Lesson is make sure your parts are good to go before they are installed. Seems like common sense but sometimes the anxiety of driving the car you worked hard on the past several months (or years-decades for some) takes over.

That lesson is nowhere near common sense!

There are MANY a thread where someone went down the wrong fork chasing a problem because a part was 'new'. 'New' means nothing but 'untested'.

Just ask the guys that buy stock MAFs from the parts store.

Well good and bad (but not really that bad news). I couldnt get the -6 an (earls brand) return line to seal right near the tank. I first tried a cheapo china made piece (-6 with a 3/8 hose barb) in the fitting and tightened down. It leaked all over. Then I tried a russell fitting. Didnt work, still leaked all over. The thing that is weird is that earls doesnt make a fitting with a hose barb so Ill have to figure out a way to do it. So Im glad I left the original line on the car because I just hooked that back up and made sure that it absolutely positively worked. I tested the pressure at least 10 times. :sneaky:
Now the good news. The engine runs damn near perfect. It has a slight hesitation when I blip the throttle that is hopefully due to not running or running right for a few years. Otherwise it runs. Ill post a video when I get the chance to make one.

Its raining now and the car has Mickey Thompson ET streets so it will not drive too well.

Last edited:
The ball looks like ceramic polishing media. Probably what is used to knock the sharp edges off the rough stampings.

I did get some photos of the hanger assembly though they are not of the ball in the line and they are pre-cut. I made a video of it running but I cant upload it to my computer at the moment. The boost gauge doesnt work either.
If you look at the hangar assembly you will see a mark near where float level sensor is mounted. That is where the ball was stuck.

Not sure but maybe ceramic balls were used during the bending process so not to kink the tubing?

If it kept the tubing from kinking it would lock down on the ball. There's ways to bend tubing without resorting to that kind of stuff.