Galaxy Samsung SIII

Sprint isn't behind the 8 ball because they're CDMA, they're behind everyone because they simply never built out their infrastructure to the extent of others. The original concept for sprint was to primarilly support big city needs, and was never really supposed to cover uraban/rural areas. USCellular was supposed to be a major player, but never really built out their infrastructure to support their envisioned customer base. They wanted to be a major competitor to Verizon, but never made it.

As to which technology is the better of the two, CDMA or GSM, depends entirely on one's understanding of the differences between the two technologies, and is FAR beyond the scope of this arena! The CDMA tech manual that I wrote was just over 214 pages in length, and just training the operators and techs was a class that took in excess of a week. Just an introductory class on the two technologies was over 2 days in length.

As for 3G or 4G, they are a data handling standard, not a technology. Both CDMA and GSM use the two.

Well, Dave.. you are the guru of that stuff so if anyone would know, it would be you.

My post wasnt really directed at Sprint as much as Samsung. Every Samsung CDMA device Ive ever owned has been garbage while its GSM counterpart has been spectacular. Case in point, the Galaxy 2 Sprint sold under the Epic 4G Touch. Worst phone Ive ever owned. It wouldnt keep a signal, it dropped calls constantly. They swapped it out about 6 times. The GSM version was the best selling phone Samsung had ever had up until the S3 came out and no one would say a bad thing about it. The Verizon version (Also CDMA) had the same issues as Sprint.

I dont know what the differences are. I assume the modems are different. Maybe you can enlighten me? This is always something Ive wanted to know more about. Are you still with Qualcomm?

Don't get me started on Samsung!!!! Your experiences are pretty typical. I had drawers full of Samsung crap that was unrepairable, and the huge majority of Samsung customers were at some point, totally dissatisfied with their product. They were just simply, poorly designed. They tried doing a lot of thier own CDMA designing on some particularly "touchy" components, instead of relying on the proven Qualcomm components that the other manufacturers did, and ended up building what you've experienced. It's not that CDMA is a weak technology compared to GSM (actually the opposite), it's just that Samsung decided to do their own thing. You'd be amazed at how widespread CDMA technology actually is!! GPS for example. The satellites and signalling protocol is all CDMA. It was the the cornerstone of "secure" military communications before the civilian community started using it.

No longer with Qualcomm. I'm retired now.

Well, here’s my story…….For years, I wanted to step up and upgrade to a smart phone. Recently, my wife & I got the GS3 and all I can say….they are awesome. After 2 weeks, I ended up returning them back because I could not justify the increase in cost per month. I already had the internet at home. I also have the I internet at work (to use during lunch). I drive to work so there is no way I can utilize it. I found myself tinkering with it in the evenings and ignoring my family. After a reality check, I caved in and just returned them.

I have to say, they were awesome and the clarity was amazing. But it all came down to usage & costs.

My wife just ordered a replacement phone for her job, She's been on a Droid 2 Global for over 2 years. She has a blue S3 enroute. She could have went with the iPhone 5. Im glad she did not.

I used the GPS function today. Took about 15min to get there and my phone was super hot. Anyone experience this prob?

I used the GPS function today. Took about 15min to get there and my phone was super hot. Anyone experience this prob?

Pretty normal.. check out Waze if you want to try an alternate app.. Waze is pretty awesome.

I have noticed with certain apps it gets hot I stream radio in the car on my way to work and home but doesn't get hot