Garage Advice new Build

Are you sure you want the lift to the right of the garage door ? Pulling a car in then having to jockey it around to line it up will be a pain , and even tougher with a truck . I also marked the floor when I found the perfect spot on the lift for my car and one for my truck . Also keep those electric outlets above 48" and outlets in the ceiling for cord reels & fans .

Not quite a full build but my finishing off of my detached garage project started today. Doing electrical add-ons and pull down steps today. Will post some pics as I go. My brother in law is helping me (rephrase, I'm helping him).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are you sure you want the lift to the right of the garage door ? Pulling a car in then having to jockey it around to line it up will be a pain , and even tougher with a truck . I also marked the floor when I found the perfect spot on the lift for my car and one for my truck . Also keep those electric outlets above 48" and outlets in the ceiling for cord reels & fans .
Yeah I realize that but I have a 22' opening between the current garage and the old garage with a 14" steel beam running across which I want to be able to load unload my truck with or pull a boat motor if I leave enough room on that side of the lift. Plus I am going move the lift over a little more to the center and should be 6' off the far wall leaving 12' on the other side with 40' depth I should be able to pull right in. Its another one of those if I was making a living with this stuff yeah its not ideal but if I have a few extra minutes moving the hot rod around to get it on the lift where it will probably sit for weeks is not a big deal. I will post a pick once the heated floor is installed before the poured floor it will have the final position on the pads for the lift.

Here are some updates, outside is done, except for some minor details and obviously the landscaping. We are also putting in an attic with shevling and a staricase which is going to give me a TON storage room.

Attachments

• 0105191548.jpg
    0105191548.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
  • 0105191549.jpg
    0105191549.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 99
  • 26353.jpeg
    26353.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 26354.jpeg
    26354.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 98
If anyone has suggestions on garage walls LMK. I would like something durable easy to install and washable and doesn't kill the bank. I looked in metal but don't want the corrugated design plus its not cheap from what I am seeing. Drywall installed and painted for $60 a sheet is about the going rate in my area right now.

If anyone has suggestions on garage walls LMK. I would like something durable easy to install and washable and doesn't kill the bank. I looked in metal but don't want the corrugated design plus its not cheap from what I am seeing. Drywall installed and painted for $60 a sheet is about the going rate in my area right now.
I debated drywall, OSB, plywood, metal, etc. I decided against drywall because of the labor, the mess, I don't need my garage to look like a bedroom and most importantly, I don't believe drywall will hold up in my garage to dings, bangs and accidental hits. It will end up being too much long term maintenance.

I'm probably going plywood and will paint it.

Hey Man, congrats as everything looks great and I bet you can't get wait to get into your new space!

As far as your walls go, we bought an existing house about two years ago that has a detached 1200 sq. ft. workshop, that has OSB on the ceilings and walls. And while, I have been toying with the idea of a bunch of different panels to cover the OSB walls and what not. However, some of that space will be used for various hanging items, peg board areas and the like. So, I've been contemplating this Ceramic Coating stuff that we have out down here (I live in South Louisiana). It's called Rhino Shield and this stuff is extremely durable, as they advertise it as being a lifetime coating, "Never paint your house again." It's primarily used as an exterior alternative to paint. However, I've heard that it can be used over OSB in situations such as my workshop walls, etc. I'm not real sure on pricing as of yet, however, I have heard that it isn't much more than painting. Don't know if you would want OSB followed by Rhino Shield on your walls or not? However, here's a video about it:

I googled it and sure enough here is a link to Ohio Rhino Shield Dealer:

https://www.rhinoshieldin.com/about-us/service-areas/ohio/

I used 7/16" OSB on walls & ceiling , it allows you to mount stuff directly to it without having to hit a stud . I also prepainted it white

Last edited:
I used 7/16" OSB on walls & ceiling , it allows you to mount stuff directly to it without having to hit a stud . I also prepainted it white
Yes, that's the other reason I'm not going drywall.

I have a few extra minutes moving the hot rod around to get it on the lift where it will probably sit for weeks is not a big deal.

Maybe a set of car dollies could make the job easier .

Looking very good there!
It will be interesting to see your choice for the walls. I have used all leftover materials including some of the metal siding and a bit of plywood. The metal looks great but the corrugation and the difficulty of hanging anything are definitely disadvantages, not to mention the cost if you have to buy it.
I wondered about using the same material on the walls like they use in fast-food places... we called it melamine back in the day, not sure that is the actual stuff(?). It seemed very durable and easy to clean.
I also looked at some "white hardboard" at Home Depot the other day [for something different], it is relatively inexpensive... might be worth considering?

Well all the block work is done the picture shows the beam block at the top of the wall. Gets #5 rebar in them and filled in with concrete. This two story bomb shelter is almost ready for a roof. The second floor is 3/4” Interlock plywood. The roof and the attic floor over the lift is 5/8” roof sheathing should be going on Friday if it’s not too cold. Then hopefully garage floor can be poured soon. Gonna be tricky with the temps but it can be done this rain has sucked here but I’m glad it has not been snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ Progress looks good - maybe it will stay in the 40's and all will be able to keep moving?

Plugging away and things are starting to move along rapidly. We got the staircase and attic finished this weekend which gave an additional 460sqft of storage!! I had to take the day off work yesterday to finish installing the heated floor and laying out the final location of the lift. It took 16 hours of pretty much continuous work and somewhere around 500 zip ties but we got it all done!! I still have to pressurize it and the concrete installer is coming today for final inspection and to start putting forms in. First truck is scheduled for Wed at 8am!!

Had to move the lift with the new staircase which originally was going in a different location. I turned it 180* and tucked it back in the garage and to get on it you will now have to come through the 22' opening through the old garage. This ended up preserving as much floor space as possible and other than pulling the wife's and my car in and out to load a car on the lift it really isnt fits a lot better. I should have enough space for the workshop and at least 5 cars in the new space if I packed everything in there.
fkpcpyw.jpg

8FYnqtc.jpg

k3jxx7g.jpg

KbdJLWO.jpg

Jr1nC1u.jpg

zccqH31.jpg

WcFnZ15.jpg

ZHxTR7t.jpg

Awesome!

It’s starting to look like a garage now.

I’ve been installing the air lines and beginning to organize at this point. It’s tough though because projects are already starting to happen now lol

d47c565df4ddc4807a9ad691a6044982.jpg
367f5e122dc2244d0d8511b47f4f5c07.jpg
471e74f3378d6451b5f21c4aecf46c9a.jpg
07c7a4d535730b16d670fcd85bf61d3f.jpg
c030e60e36c64e3750bcd6d5c73a7ba8.jpg
b7e94d327a73923c1500095e6a07f69a.jpg

Is that the Rapidair system? Garage looks good!

Yes sir. 2 of the 3/4 hundred foot kits. All I had to do was buy 1 extra T to finish what I needed. I have 4 drops and 1 hose reel. Then I picked up high flow fittings for everything.