You can type here any text you want

Gear Ratio In A Stock Differential?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AKTURBOTA

I am getting ready to purchase a new posi carrier from Miles at 9 Bolt.com and can't remember what the stock gear ratio is. I believe it is 3.23. The posi's that Miles has are for series 3 style 9 bolt posi units and will work with ratios 3.23-4.11 only. Can someone help me out?

9 bolt gear sets are as follows.

2 series carrier= 2.77
3 series carrier= 3.27,3.45,3.70,3.73

Ultra rare danna 44 for 3rd gen fbody I believe were 3.45's

Thanks for your quick reply. This will be the second posi carrier that will have purchased in the last 5 years. The first one cost me $789 at discounted price from a GM dealer. Miles is selling his new posi carriers for $475 delivered in continental US...a much better deal. It appears his series 3 carriers, will fit the TTA differential...am I correct?

As long as it is a 3 series carrier. I do not have the stamping number handy. The reason it costs so much is that it is a very specific unit. With the 10 bolt rears richmond makes a thicker ring gear to offset the difference, enabling you to put 3 series gear on the 2 series carrier. Nobody makes this for the 9 bolt.

These rears take a lot of abuse but the clutches do not last long.
HTH!

It is a series 3 carrier, so it should fit perfectly. I feel fortunate that the current posi lasted 5 years!

Find a DANA 44, put the gears you want in it , and call it a day..-----The "AUSIE" units suck. Turbota

Originally posted by trading t/a
These rears take a lot of abuse but the clutches do not last long.
HTH!

Thats because it's a cone/cup style posi not a clutch type. The cones wear rather quickly and bottom out in the housing, I've taken the cones out and milled them down on many cars so they seat again, then spaced the springs with the difference to bring the pressure back up. Un fortunatly you can only do that so many times before the cones are shot.

I wish they would just sell new cones, it would be alot easier and cheaper.

Steve

Originally posted by turbota
Find a DANA 44, put the gears you want in it , and call it a day..-----The "AUSIE" units suck. Turbota

I would love to put a Dyana 44 in. Were do you find one of these for a 3rd gen FBody? SLP has not sold them for years.

- Dave

Back