GN Rookie...help!

84GNv6

Hey... I bought a 1984 GN and don really don know a whole lot about these cars or cars at all:confused: . Im just interested in going faster. What are some upgrades i can to go faster? Or does anyone know a good machine shop that can help me? Im in San ANtonio.

Welcome aboard and start reading before you do anything. Go to the HA section and read, ask questions, and do some searches.

Hey... I bought a 1984 GN and don really don know a whole lot about these cars or cars at all:confused: . Im just interested in going faster. What are some upgrades i can to go faster? Or does anyone know a good machine shop that can help me? Im in San ANtonio.

Nothing against the 84/85's but you would have been better off with a 86/87 TR.
Much easier to mod and a lot more parts available. Just easier to go faster.

Is the 84 stock?

Also check out Austin Area Buicks you'll find a lot of the SA Buick guys here.

Nothing against the 84/85's but you would have been better off with a 86/87 TR.
Much easier to mod and a lot more parts available. Just easier to go faster.

Is the 84 stock?

Also check out Austin Area Buicks you'll find a lot of the SA Buick guys here.

the 84 is stock...how would i start by converting it? how much do you think i can get done with about $2000?

Why do you need a machune shop? You know they just machine engine parts already removed from the car. Is the car not running or running badly? I would suggest first spending many hours reading old posts in the "Hot Air" section. You will find a wealth of information there.

the 84 is stock...how would i start by converting it? how much do you think i can get done with about $2000?

Sell the 84 and take the 2K add it to what you get for the 84 and buy a 86/87TR.

Yo can make improvements on the 84 (read the hot air section) but the 86/87 is so much better. They are miles ahead of the 84/85 cars.

ok i tried reading all that hot air stuff...and it seems like rocket science to me for some reason...i need someone to guide me though it! idk....how much do you think i can get for a stock 84 gn if i were to sell it? I don like the way its running!

ok i tried reading all that hot air stuff...and it seems like rocket science to me for some reason...i need someone to guide me though it! idk....how much do you think i can get for a stock 84 gn if i were to sell it? I don like the way its running!

If it is very low miles and very clean my guess is 8K - 10K but that would be in excellent condition. The economy is down and that will hurt your price a little.

You can find a nice (driver) 86/87 Turbo T and/or T-Type for 6K - 10K and probably a few GN's for 10K.

What are the miles and condition of the car?

Why EXACTLY do you not like the way it's running?

You've already stated that you're both a TR & car noob, so take some time to get familiar with the car... do a Spring Cleaning tune-up The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide this will not only help make sure your GN is running right, but it'll also give you some experience working on it.

I agree with fast86gn but if you can't get it together let me know if you want sell. I would like to buy it.

ok i tried reading all that hot air stuff...and it seems like rocket science to me for some reason...i need someone to guide me though it!

I must add this... If your having problems understanding the 84/85 cars you may have the same problems with the 86/87 cars? The 84/85's are different in a lot of ways from the 86/87 cars but they are a lot the same too.

These cars are totally different animals, from anything else out there you will need some patience for sure. Take your time and do some reading it will help a lot. This forum as well as Turbo Regal Web Site are great places for good info. There are TR shops around you might try one of those, get someone that is experienced on TR's that can help you on repairs and mods.

Good luck!

If it is very low miles and very clean my guess is 8K - 10K but that would be in excellent condition. The economy is down and that will hurt your price a little.

You can find a nice (driver) 86/87 Turbo T and/or T-Type for 6K - 10K and probably a few GN's for 10K.

What are the miles and condition of the car?

It bogs when i step on it and i don like the way its changing gears! its late on switching! and its just about to hit 100,000k miles on it. It has minimal rust. just on the bottom corners of the doors. heres a pic

Attachments

• SSPX0325.jpg
    SSPX0325.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 94
If the transmission is like the 86-87, on the throttle body (driver side), there is a cable from the transmssion that goes into a bracket.
The bracket has a button you push in.
Push the button in.
With the car not running, go floor board the gas pedal.
This will set the car to a correct shift pattern.
Take the car to Auto Zone and have them scan to see if you are getting codes.
A bogging could be a number of things but it points to a bad MAF sensor to me.