GN vs. Syclone <surprise ending>

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico

will race for food
:eek: :eek: :eek: is all i can say.
Raced My stock 67,xxx mile GN against my friends not so stock syclone and he just raped me.

race 1
We raced from a stop <big mistake> i was able to build about 4-5 lbs of boost before breaking the tires loose. Green light and he is picks up 1 and half cars on me instantly. Coolest launch i have ever seen all 4 tires squeked (sp). at about 80 mph i started gaining but road started to curve and i let out.

race 2
This time it was from a roll - i didn't wanna give him a race from a dead stop. this time he could not pull away from me. i was pretty excited. any ways long story short he didn't pull me.

last but not least i asked for a ride. ends up he was launching at 6 lbs not letting off the gas for anything.
i asked him to do one of those launch and he decided to build boost up to the 10 lb mark!!!!!!!!!! BIG MISTAKE right after the take off he busted his torque converter. :rolleyes: i felt really bad cause i asked him to do it (not to 10 lbs though). opps.

messed up TC's sound real ugly ...crunch crunch...

Syclones are very awesome especially from stop light to stop light. Nothing like not worring about spinning,just stomp it and leave hard ,very hard:D My dad has a syclone and i drive it more than him. It is basically stock...........................

:eek: LoL.. damn, that had to hurt his feelings a little bit. Gotta love those little trucks. I definately wouldnt mind having one of them in my future collection. There was no other damage was there? Just the TC?

GrndNatnl,
yeah that was all that was wrong. kinda weird he was able to drive it around afterwards. take off was really bad sounding but nothing else was wrong with it. he was able to drive it home.
later that evening i offered another race from a dead stop :D .
well hopefully i get him next time.
Do typhoons and syclones have the same engine? (4.3 awd?)
anyone seen a twin turbo one ? My buddy wants to slap on another Turbo on his syclone!!

Yes they have the same engines 4.3 liter turbos w/ awd. There is a Twin turbo out there in southern California (of course) I remember #s like 450 rwhp @ 6psi

Syclones

I think they're pretty neat trucks with AWD and the turbo 4.3 V6... Stoplight to stoplight those trucks are really hard to beat and IMO it would be pretty cool to beat up on Vettes and Vipers in a V6 truck:D

Originally posted by chico
Do typhoons and syclones have the same engine? (4.3 awd?)

Yes - same drivetrain - 4.3L turbo. The Typhoons even say "Syclone" on the plenum. GM got a little lazy, I guess....

Stoplights are great fun. Spool up as much boost as the brakes will hold - NO spin at all. If you're not strapped in you'll be in the back seat by the time it's over....

But from a roll, my Ty totally sucks. It was the only disappointment with it (well, that and the idle....). The launches more than make up for it, though.

Jim

Originally posted by strikeeagle
With drivelines like chicken bones...

Chicken #$*% could also describe the thought process of the quoted poster IMHO... :rolleyes: Oh, sorry its chicken BONES... My bad.

Yeah, I remember you strike... Remember me??? You helped me decide to sell my T type after your "oh great...another chevy guy" post to a thread I started on the old board about bearing clearances and such... Long time ago.. Been patiently waiting...

Later,

Your bestest bud :rolleyes: (with a long memory)

myclone,

I sincerely have no idea what you're talking about. And I'd suggest you don't either if you think I made you sell your car, or if you're threatening me...

My emails at the bottom if youd like to discuss it... No, you werent the ONLY reason I sold my T.. I truly liked that car and miss it every day..

If you don remember and/or are curious to what Im talking about then drop me a mail and I'll tell ya all about it.... As for "threatening"... nah, I don do that. No need to... As for not knowing what Im talking about... well... I just happen to (for once). I just dont forget some things.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
With drivelines like chicken bones...

I leave every stoplight like the christmas tree at the track. Haven't broken it yet. I really don't think in *stock* form they're any more fragile than the GN. Once modified, though, I'm told they don't hold up as well as the GNs. Not the AWD or trans so much as the engine itself. I don't know from experience, though 'cause mine's all stock.

Plus, if our toys didn't break, what would we do with all the extra time?

Jim

:cool: Hey JIMMY, not to sound like a smart x!s, but the engines in the sys are weak compared to the gns.The cranks are good for boat anchors and the rods are notorius for folding-up like pretzels.My sy was my driver till a month ago but as far as those hard launches i garuntee they'll catch-up to you in the long run."You don't want to replace the front prop-shaft."New from GM around $1,700 dollars. After market to my door "when i had to was $365.00 " and was a better part than GM.

I can go on and on about it but if know-one ever warned you i wanted to give you a heads up.I'd like to sell my sy if you or any-one else might be interested,just drop me a line my e-mail should be available.

Originally posted by buickman69
:cool: Hey JIMMY, not to sound like a smart x!s, but the engines in the sys are weak compared to the gns.The cranks are good for boat anchors and the rods are notorius for folding-up like pretzels.My sy was my driver till a month ago but as far as those hard launches i garuntee they'll catch-up to you in the long run."You don't want to replace the front prop-shaft."New from GM around $1,700 dollars. After market to my door "when i had to was $365.00 " and was a better part than GM.

Yep, youre correct... Rods are laughable.. Cranks seem to do OK to a point. The front prop shaft will live for a while but like you stated "it will catch up to you". I guess if you beat on just about anything long enough somethings gonna grenade..

I fully expect to spit out a front prop shaft at Mooresville, NC on the 8th.. Just hope it don take the trans case with it when it goes... (knock on wood)... I plan on having fun none the less.

Throw some good rods/pistons and a better front prop shaft ("drive shaft" round these parts) in it and you can lean on the lil ol 4.3 kinda hard. Stock SyTys just run outta turbo/fuel/air flow REAL quick... Dammit!!!! 1/8th mile racing is kind to us though.. :D

I can go on and on about it but if know-one ever warned you i wanted to give you a heads up.I'd like to sell my sy if you or any-one else might be interested,just drop me a line my e-mail should be available.

No, you don't sound like a smart-ass. I chose my words very carefully. I've *heard* they're weak in the areas you mentioned, but don't know from experience (yet?). I've had the truck about 2 years.

I've done the propshaft already - it crapped out over the summer this year. Makes awful noises, but driving around with just RWD makes for some fun. The GM price is actually around $1,300. I got a rebuilt one from the company that manufactures them for GM for about $300. It wasn't hard to replace, though I did have to add a set of Torx sockets to my tool collection.

As far as the engine goes, the biggest reason I'm keeping it stock is the stories about the crank and rods. Second is that it really didn't respond well to the mods I made to it (others have had better luck, though). I had the boost up to around 17 psi for a while, but I drive the truck 50 miles to work and back every day so I don't want to push my luck. I've put it all back to stock. So far, leaving it as GMC made it, it's been pretty reliable.

Sub 5-second 0-60s in stock form is plenty fun anyway. It's too congested around here to get any long runs on the street anyway - plus that's what the GN is for!

Thanks for the reply,
Jim

Hey JIMMY, not to sound like a smart x!s, but the engines in the sys are weak compared to the gns.The cranks are good for boat anchors

Boat Anchor? Humm, we got a few 10 second trucks and one 9 second truck on his 3rd season running around with a boat anchor, funny how you don't know squat about a truck that you own.

My sy was my driver till a month ago but as far as those hard launches i garuntee they'll catch-up to you in the long run

I guess launching your GN won't catch up with you, get real, if you beat any car you'll be replacing part regardless of the make/model. I ran hundreds of low-mid 1.6's before I finally broke the stock propshaft, I bought a good one ($300) and I'm done, big deal.

I can go on and on about it but if know-one ever warned you i wanted to give you a heads up.

Go on and on about what? GN's were better prepared to run the 1/4 at the strip than the Syty's, yes they were, and syty's were better prepared to run the 1/4 on the street, yes they were, so whats to go on and on about?

Well turbosy,i've been around these trucks for off and on 10yrs and the trucks are cool in general yes, not to take anything from em but the cranks or "BOAT ANCHORS" as i call-em are "JUNK" period.Yes there are some running 10s and maybe 9s but they won't last as long as the buicks.Yes ,like anything you beat-on somethings gonna give.These trucks are a pain-in-the-ass to work on ,everything you go to do is a #itch. I've got plenty to go-on and on about .:cool:

Well turbosy,i've been around these trucks for off and on 10yrs and the trucks are cool in general yes, not to take anything from em but the cranks or "BOAT ANCHORS" as i call-em are "JUNK" period.Yes there are some running 10s and maybe 9s but they won't last as long as the buicks.Yes ,like anything you beat-on somethings gonna give.These trucks are a pain-in-the-ass to work on ,everything you go to do is a #itch. I've got plenty to go-on and on about .:cool:

Well with less than 10,000 trucks produced over the three years in two model lines R&D couldnt be the greatest. Still the fact is although they are a pain when they are running good you have one of the badest and rarest automobiles there are. Of course GN's are going to be faster and stronger they have been produced alot. (for a limited quantity.) You have more R&D and more Gns in one year than all the sy/tys ever produced, so of course with more people owning them they will be alot of fast ones and recipes to follow. I rather own a VERY rare vehicle that is a pain than a less rarer one that is a little easier to work on. Im not knocking GNs either because before the ty I was looking for one but imagine the sleeper status of the GN multiplied by 100 and you have a jimmy that makes people quit right after the launch!

Status
Not open for further replies.