You can type here any text you want

Gn1 and head studs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stagemonster

R.C. entourage
So i went to install my new heads and found out that the top 2 studs for each head were too short. So i called ARP and they said that i had the wrong stud kit ( the one for iron heads). So after talking to the guy he said he knew what studs i needed and i purchased them. I installed the studs he sent me and i believe they are still to short. I spun the nuts on by hand 3 and a half turns and then started to tighten them. Well after they were all done being torqued they 2 top middle ones on each head still seamed to be to short. With them fully torqued i can still see 2 rows of threads in the nut. The size of the studs that ARP sent me were 7/16 x 5 inch these are a 1/4 inch longer that iron head studs . Is this common and will they be ok like that. An help would be great thanks

I am putting my engine together as well. After reading your post I went to see if my ARP head studs are short or what not. Just like you said, seems like the two long ones (Center) are about 1/4 in too short. I did not torque them down yet. Even with torquing them down they would still have a couple of threads showing inside of the nuts. The instructions say to run the studs all the way down finger tight or there abouts. I'm just concerened with them stripping some threads when torquing them down. I need to call ARP as well I guess. :cool:

What part numer did you get? Mine fit fine with a few threads of the stud protruding past the nut.

I had the wrong kit (for iron heads). Called ARP they sent me the 4 studs that that i needed as per what the guy figured out. The set of 4 that they sent me are 7/16 by 5 inch broached these are supposed to be the correct ones for GN1 heads they still seem to be too short by about 1/4 inch. The 5 inch studs that they sent me are a 1/4 inch longer that the ones in the iron head kit for a 109 block.

How many threads are grabbing inside the block? I believe you can back them out a bit so you have more threads for biting on the nut. Confirm this with ARP.

The 2 top middle studs were short on mine too...I just backed out the studs enough so that the top of the stud was flush with the top of the nut after tightening down...no problems after 3 years and many...many runs...

The 2 top middle studs were short on mine too...I just backed out the studs enough so that the top of the stud was flush with the top of the nut after tightening down...no problems after 3 years and many...many runs...

ive done the same but i thought it was just me being a hack. never had a problem even though its not the correct way to do things

Arp says that backing out the studs a bit is OK to do and should not cause any problems. Thanks for all your input guys.

I just ordered another (for Champion Heads) set fron ARP.........so I have an extra set of ARP studs for regular iron heads that I'll probably sell. :cool:

Back