GNX 258 passed away @ BPG Ohio

phillyturbosix

Staff member
The driver walked away from it. Thank god for the safety equipment. Not sure what went wrong but he went into the gravel and into some hay bails and then onto a back country road. Some pics...

Click this link for all the pictures...
BPG Nats in Ohio

A few before pics of the run..

BPG-Nats-2007+057.JPG

BPG-Nats-2007+058.JPG

BPG-Nats-2007+086.JPG

BPG-Nats-2007+088.JPG

I heard about that. The guy lost his brakes or something like that?
A buddie of mine (Tony Shoaff) was there. He filled me in over the phone. That really bites!:mad:

A Curse?

Some kind of curse affecting GNXs with 2 and 8 in the unit number?

#258 and that rebodied #298.....

Glad that guy walked away, that was one heck of a shot that car took...

Damn shame but if you're going to modify and race a car, that's a risk you have to be prepared for. It's weird that the steering wheel is so badly mangled even though the driver was most likely well restrained. Good thing he's not hurt as that's what's ultimately important.

That thing is FUBAR-ed.
I would never risk racing a GNX.

Well at least the drivers ok.

I know statefarm does not offer insurance for race cars. That really sucks. thats a lot money gone down the drain. thank the powermaster for that.Same way i smashed my car except mine was at 30 mph not a 100+. thank god he walked away. find a gn and swap the vin:eek: just kidding. But i would find a gn and swap parts and make a clone.not like the thief that sold the retagged one on ebay.

i would not KILL that car becuase of af the few scuffs you guys are all nuts if you would scrap that car.

give it a few months and it would be as good a new.

I wonder if its for sale? anyone know? I would be interested .
Bryan

i would not KILL that car becuase of af the few scuffs you guys are all nuts if you would scrap that car.

I've seen worse stuff get fixed, but that is going to be a lot of work. The roof is buckled back by the C-pillar. It's all kinds of bent out of shape. But as you start taking the bent up stuff off of it, it might start to look okay.

Glad the driver didn't get hurt too bad. Must be heartbreaking to say the least.

Jim

The Powermaster did fail, He hit the sand doing over 120 and hit some hay bails. He hurt both wrists, but says he will rebuild the car.

the money that would be needed to fix something like that would more than likely exceed what the car will ever be worth again. I guess if you wanted to be sneaky you could not turn it into insurance or anything at all so the title is never salvaged. The thing is the frame was horribly bent, the b-pillar and c-pillar are both bent, the k-member is twisted, the floor is buckled to the point that the transmission crossmember is almost touching the ground, and there's a lot more. Even if you spend the $40k to bring it back it's never going to be the same again, especially if you just reuse the main cabin which is all bent out of shape. Otherwise you have to find another one from a GN and retag it, and I don't think you can legally do that it gets retagged with a new vin if you want to do it that way.

I just realized Jim didn't post that many pictures of it, click the link and look through the pictures and then see if you still think it'd be an even semi-easy fix.

That’s some really scary stuff PM failed that could have been a real tragedy on the street.
I am glad the Driver walked away
I for one will take a very good look at my PM but I doubt there is anything you can really see.
I defenently will consider going to another type of Power assisted stopping system.

My Dad owned a body shop for 30 plus years. And I hate to say but he/we fixed cars that valve heads sitting in the middle of the dash board. Some people could just not let go. I remember my dad saying to some people just scrap it and buy another it would cheaper and better and they would say “I can’t do that to this car it has sentimental value”

That’s the type of build you sit at the back of the shop and work on On the slow days definitely a long term project but very doable
And as far a sending the work out get ready to dish out a lot of money.