GNX 258 passed away @ BPG Ohio

Sully glad dad is ok! When I saw him go thru those traps balls to the walls I thought holy crap this isn't going to be a good thing. I was down at the end of the track early that day and saw how short that run off was!

One good thing that did come out of this.. right after the crash I told the owner of the GNX-Ray (Rick Hunt) what happened and he ran over to check it out and offered his help rebuilding it. From what he told me he still has many die cuts on special parts from ASC for the GNX when they were doing the cars as he worked for ASC. He was a real nice guy as well! He said to me normally he would not bother getting involved in all that work and hassles but he could not stand to see a GNX go down! So with him on your side I'm sure I'll be taking pics of this car on the line once again before you know it! Good luck with the rebuild! First order of business get the vacuum brake conversion! :cool:

first off- i can respect using a car like that for what it was built to do.
second off, i have to ask- haw crazy do you have to be to modify such a rare car and put it in danger of having something like this happen?

I'm with this guy...holy cow why modify a GNX to hell like that? I mean driving it, not letting it sit in a garage rotting away and putting miles on it is ONE thing...but making such a rare and valuable car into a race car? To each of their own I guess...glad nobody got seriously hurt. If I had a GNX and really wanted to race, I'd go buy a regular GN or T and keep the GNX as a cruiser street car unmodified or at least minimally modified to where I could swap stock parts back on it in no time.

Sully,

Glad everyone is ok, that is the most important!

I am also very glad to hear you are going to fix it!! Looks bad, but everything can be fixed! :)

It is sad when all these cars are parted out, I am glad to hear this GNX will live again! :)

Good luck!

I'm with this guy...holy cow why modify a GNX to hell like that? I mean driving it, not letting it sit in a garage rotting away and putting miles on it is ONE thing...but making such a rare and valuable car into a race car? To each of their own I guess...glad nobody got seriously hurt. If I had a GNX and really wanted to race, I'd go buy a regular GN or T and keep the GNX as a cruiser street car unmodified or at least minimally modified to where I could swap stock parts back on it in no time.

I am not going to get into a big debate with everyone on the ups and downs of running a GNX at the track. But I will give these thoughts: These cars were made to go fast and that what we like to do. The car was a street car that occasionally sees the track not a race car. It still had working AC, full interior, radio, etc. In my opinion, driving any car on the street is way more dangerous than on the track. I rarely hear about incidents at the track. I would hate to imagine what would have happened if he was crusing on the highway at 75, came over the rise of a hill only to find traffic at a dead stop due to roadwork or something, then went for the brakes and they were gone. We have everything original that we took off the car over the years and will restore it to factory condition.

It's his car he can do whatever he wants with it. Personally I wouldn't have modified a GNX in that manner, but it's not my car. I do respect the fact that he actually uses the car, regardless of the manner in which he uses it.

My question is: do we know for sure that the PM failed? Another thread said that the throttle stuck and the PM was no match for the power of the engine and he couldn't get it stopped? I know the PMs have a bad reputation, and that sometimes they fail in such a manner but I'm just curious. The chances of either event happening at that moment in time are very slim which makes the accident that much more unfortunate.

Jim

It's his car he can do whatever he wants with it. Personally I wouldn't have modified a GNX in that manner, but it's not my car. I do respect the fact that he actually uses the car, regardless of the manner in which he uses it.

My question is: do we know for sure that the PM failed? Another thread said that the throttle stuck and the PM was no match for the power of the engine and he couldn't get it stopped? I know the PMs have a bad reputation, and that sometimes they fail in such a manner but I'm just curious. The chances of either event happening at that moment in time are very slim which makes the accident that much more unfortunate.

Jim

At first my dad thought the throttle may have gotten stuck. Everything happens so fast it was hard for him to tell exactly what happened. But I was on the starting line and the brake lights never came on. This was confirmed by the track officials in the tower. The brake pedal was bent pretty bad so I am pretty sure that he was pressing on the pedal as hard as he could when the impact happened. There could be some chance that the line lock engaged somehow and prevented the brakes from engaging but it is on a momentary switch so that is not that likely. We will investigate further as we restore it.

Sully

Sully, we were there and very thankful your dad was okay. I think what you said is true of many of us weekend racers. The car is a street car and raced occassionally. If you think about it other then the high production number of the 87 GN, these cars are very rare in general, however I don't think he hacked that car up by any means and was out enjoying it as does everyone else that shows up for one of these events. I'm just very thankful that he is able to race again if he so choses and the car can be rebuilt. Things could have turned out much worse and that was not the case. I think that's the most important thing concerning this issue.

Hey, if you got the money, do whatever you want. Obviously most guys here wouldn't modify a GNX because we wouldn't be able to afford one in the first place. I think that the story behind this GNX should add a little value compared to the low mile trailer queens. I'd rather sit around and hear from these guys about GNX 258 compared to one that has never seen the pavement. No matter what's done to the car, it can always be restored.

Good luck on the repairs and maybe start a thread with pics so we can follow the progress?

Greg

like i said before garage GNXs are giant model cars. they are useless! BUICKS ARE MEANT TO GO FAST WITH CLASS!! ferraris and porches are for rich guys to have in their garage to look at. get out there and enjoy ur buicks and stop saving them for the next guy. i beleive most of you bought your cars for yourself so why are you worried about its value to the next guy? maybe i wouldnt have put a roll cage in an X but if money wasnt an issue i would be out there enjoying the hell of that car that was built to DRIVE! you gotta atleast put 1000 miles a year on a car(unless its strictly drag) or you aint enjoying yourself. props to someone who obviously enjoyed the heck outta their car. to me the "lengendary" GNX has only become legendary for sitting in garages doing absolutely nothing.

I am not going to get into a big debate with everyone on the ups and downs of running a GNX at the track. But I will give these thoughts: These cars were made to go fast and that what we like to do. The car was a street car that occasionally sees the track not a race car. It still had working AC, full interior, radio, etc. In my opinion, driving any car on the street is way more dangerous than on the track. I rarely hear about incidents at the track. I would hate to imagine what would have happened if he was crusing on the highway at 75, came over the rise of a hill only to find traffic at a dead stop due to roadwork or something, then went for the brakes and they were gone. We have everything original that we took off the car over the years and will restore it to factory condition.

Are you going to put another PowerMaster in it?? Just curious, glad your Pop is OK.

Glad pops is OK and add me to list of those that are thrilled the GNX was getting used in any fashion.....running it hard at the track is even better.

Like I said before I am happy the driver is ok

it's good to see somebody with balls that drives and races a GNX.
All this BS talk about the great GNX and it never gets backed up by any of the other owners.
But to you guys I give you the up most respect for showing that the GNX is not just another expensive POS that just sits in a garage.
Dave

And yeahh I am scared of my PM Now

And yeahh I am scared of my PM Now

You're scared?!?! I just got finished working on my car for the night and I was looking at the PM unit and I was getting nervous just looking at it! LOL!

Hey that's cool that the GNX was being raced...I'm all for it. I'm just saying it isn't something "I" would do. I wouldn't go that far with it at least. I would probably do every bolt-on mod imaginable and make it run low 11's on a stock motor. But whatever...I'll never own one anyways unless I hit the lottery!

If I had the money and a GNX, I'd probably swap out the stock drivetrain for a stage motor and have some fun! I agree, it's far less dangerous to drive at the track than on the street. Sully, glad your Dad is OK! Looking forward to seeing the restored pix.

.........Starting to get concerned pushing for mid 11's with a stock 154k mile powermaster though:eek:

you can def fix the car !!!! give a front section of frame (don't replace the whole frame ) , a nose, and a roof and a good shop could do that NO problem !! :cool: no way the car isn't goin to be fixed :cool:

Exactly.... Once you remove all the unboltable stuff... it won't look near as bad...I agree it looks pretty bad now.... but in a month or two... I'm sure she will be straight and ready for paint... and ready for action again....

FWIW.... those that would currently junk it..... in a few years.... you would probably give your left testicle for that car for your next "project car"..... cause they ARE worth so much....

It wasn't that long ago you could get an numbers matching SS 1st gen camaros for a few thousand dollars.... now look what even clones bring.....

The percieved value makes this a no brainer.... fix it.