GNX 258 passed away @ BPG Ohio

And yeahh I am scared of my PM Now

That's why I asked the question I did above. It's easy to blame the PM given its spotty reliability history, but they're not 100% sure it was the cause. I'd say odds are pretty good that it was, but you never know.

I'm perplexed by the fact that the brake lights didn't come on. Obviously he hit the brakes. Is the implication that when the PM fails you can't even move the pedal far enough to light the brake lights? I know people have had them get rock hard and lose their brakes, but when my PM failed it simply leaked brake fluid into the car.

My PM is only about a year old but now I'm worried about it. I think.

Jim

whew !!!!!

good to hear your Dads ok.
as for racing a GNX, it's his car, do what you want,
I have # 163 and it has 60k mi, we go to any and every Buick car show we can, I have another one( not gnx) we race, so as to preserve the GNX.
hope to see up and running soon, please let me know if your having problems with parts, I have a few stashed,
good luck,

Sully, glad your dad is doing well. That is really all that matters.

After having two powermaster brake systems fail (one over 600 miles away from home) I will NEVER use that system again. I just do not understand why people stick with it. The vacuum is cheap at $150 and the install is easy. And to all the people who say vacuum is not good for these cars, on three TR's my dad has had with it I have been able to hold 10+ PSI on the footbrake. If your are boosting over that on the line I would bet you have a t-brake. Sorry guys but like my dad says an original front clip is more valuable than an original powermaster system. That can always be reversed.

I personally think it is awesome that he races a GNX. It is his car, his money, his life and he can race whatever car he wants to race. I do not see why Buick people and others too get all worked up when a rare car is raced. What good would 547 cars be in a museum? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I would have no fun at all with a GNX that sits.

Just my dumb $0.02

Jason

Is the implication that when the PM fails you can't even move the pedal far enough to light the brake lights? I know people have had them get rock hard and lose their brakes, but when my PM failed it simply leaked brake fluid into the car.

The brakes worked fine when he staged the car as he builds boost on the footbrake before engaging the t-brake. So they were holding strong then.

It is not an implication, it is a fact. There are several types of PM failures. The most severe is when the Brake pedal goes rock hard with absolutely no warning. On my car I backed out of the driveway and they worked fine but at the 1st stop, I had the hard pedal and had a very hard time getting it to slowed down from 20 MPH. Can't imagine what it would be like at 135+

S.

It is not an implication, it is a fact.

I understand the pedal gets hard under certain types of failures - I wasn't questioning that. It's just hard to imagine not being able to move the pedal far enough to even illuminate the brake lights. It's never happened to me, that's why I asked.

Jim

I understand the pedal gets hard under certain types of failures - I wasn't questioning that. It's just hard to imagine not being able to move the pedal far enough to even illuminate the brake lights. It's never happened to me, that's why I asked.

Jim

Haha trust me...When that system goes it is ROCK hard. It is not like when a vacuum brake system loses vacuum and you can pump the pedal to get some vacuum. I hope your system never fails you, but if it does you will understand exactly what we're saying. O and mileage has nothing to do with it. My dads WE4 has 16k miles and it went..

Haha trust me...When that system goes it is ROCK hard. It is not like when a vacuum brake system loses vacuum and you can pump the pedal to get some vacuum. I hope your system never fails you, but if it does you will understand exactly what we're saying. O and mileage has nothing to do with it. My dads WE4 has 16k miles and it went..

That's crazy. Not to digress too far, but what part of the system breaks when this happens?

Jim

WOW!

Sully, glad to hear your dad is OK.

IMHO, that car is much more repairable than 298 was, and without putting the VIN in another roller.

A replacement frame maybe, and some time on a frame machine and it should be good to go.

Some years back I rebuild a wrecked 87 olds 442 that was *close* to being that bad. A good frame tech will be able to make the shell and the frame straight... (close to it anyway) then the frame can be replaced with a straight one.

I wish you the best in the efforts to repair the car.

good to hear your Dads ok. and hope gets it on the road soon stock or full out balls to wall its still a show stopper any way you go :)