You can type here any text you want

GNX 258 Will Be Restored

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNX 258

First let me start by thanking all the people at Columbus who came over to check on me to be sure I was ok and to express regret about the car. Also I want to thank everyone for the concern shown in all the emails and posts. I was overwhelmed.

There have been several questions about 258’s future. GNX 258 will be restored to near stock condition. I have talked to three shops that have an interest in the restoration.
Fortunately, I saved every stock part removed including the engine. However the task is great and we will be looking for exterior parts and some interior parts. If the car is complete by Bowling Green, I will bring it so everyone can see before and after. The decision to go back to stock was based on the fact that the Anderson Performance engine moved the car to 9.92 sec @ 137.6 mph which required more safety mods than I was willing to put on a daily driver. Obviously a decision better made at Bowling Green than Columbus.

And yes, Billy Anderson was in the lane beside me. He was quick to come check on me, but when he found I was ok, I seem to remember “ WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT ENGINE?”

As to what happened: when people asked me right after getting out of the ambulance; I suggested a stuck throttle since I felt like I must have hit the hay bales at excess of 160mph. However, after the gallon of adrenaline wore off, I am convinced it was a Power master failure. The brake was like a brick, no matter how hard I pushed, the pedal did not move. The brake pedal lever was severely bent down, indicating I was still trying to brake when I hit the hay bales. Also, hay bale is a misnomer for what is really at the end of the track. The restored GNX 258 will not have a Powermaster unit even for street use.

My son, Steve and I will be building a second TSM car for race only. For years, Jack Cotton has said to use the GNX as a street car and build a race only car. Obviously good advise being followed a little late.

Thanks again for all your concern,

John Sullivan
GNX 258

Attachments

• BlkGS Whly253 bg 05-17-07.jpg
    BlkGS Whly253 bg 05-17-07.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,963
Thanks for posting John, best of luck getting her back up and going. Great to hear you are OK!!!!!!

glad your ok and that picture you posted makes one sick wallpaper

John i'm glad to hear your alright and sad to see what happened! When i seen the first post here and saw the pic with Steve next to your car at the line all i could say to myself was " I hope to god that's not his dads car!" So i called Steve on his cell phone and he said yep! i just got chills. I pitted with Steve at PINK'S in bristol, Great people and it was a good time. none of our cars performed like they could have. I was next to you in BG and helped push the car onto the trailor. Take care John, and i hope to see you and Steve in BG next year.

Scot w.

Awesome wall paper and cant wait to see it done. Im glad your redoing it: 1. B/c im a Buick nut. 2. Its a piece of history not like another 70 malibu or 69 nova converted to be a week in and week out bracket car, it was built for straightline acceleration and you indeed have used it for its intended purpose.:biggrin: 3. Will take time and money but if its something that you love then go for it, dont worry or care what others think, its your car, and make it and use it as how you see fit.

Glad to see your getting better and cant wait to see her when shes finished!:cool:

Glad to see you are okay, we were worried sick!

John,

Glad to know your Ok. Hate that this happened.
I always hate to see a good car get wrecked.
I messed up a good one myself.

Good luck in the restoration.

Patrick

I have plenty of parts around here that are pretty much paid for.
Just give me a call when your ready & we will hook you up.

I wonder how many people will be pulling off their Powermaster brake system now? I know I plan on pulling mine off and replacing it with a more reliable one. The thought of having my kids in the car with me and having brake failure, not a good thought. Glad you're OK man..........

Glad to hear you are okay and plan on restoring #258, look forward to seeing it down the road.

i'm glad your OK, can't wait to see that new "after" picture when your done restoring her :)

I have plenty of parts around here that are pretty much paid for.
Just give me a call when your ready & we will hook you up.

Ditto. Don't have anywhere near the parts collection Brian does but whatever you want is yours.

I wonder how many people will be pulling off their Powermaster brake system now?

That is something worth mentioning.......I imagine that your "mishap" will save many TR and GN front clips and probably some injuries because this incident will snap some owners, myself included, to put a more reliable braking system in place. So I'm glad you are OK, the GNX will be restored and thank you. ;)

Glad to hear you are ok, that must have been a harrowing moment.

what is the recommended powermaster replacement??

Glad you came out of this o.k! It looks like the Gn's are pretty safe cars for an impact.Is vaccum brakes the obvious replacement?

Good luck on the rebuild and glad you came out of it OK. Be sure to keep all of us posted on the progress of the rebuild. Once restored back to stock with the exception of the PM, just keep a picture of the wreck nearby to show people why it is not on the car anymore.

Back