gnx mod tips

eric roozen

I am an owner of a GNX. Was looking for advice from forum on GNX specific parts: turbo, suspension, intercooler, wheels, center caps, brakes, etc. Should I replace and box away? What should I replace with to give stock look? Any suggestions? Product names, part numbers.. BuikGNX website has good information. Seems a little dated. Thank you, Eric

I am an owner of a GNX. Was looking for advice from forum on GNX specific parts: turbo, suspension, intercooler, wheels, center caps, brakes, etc. Should I replace and box away? What should I replace with to give stock look? Any suggestions? Product names, part numbers.. BuikGNX website has good information. Seems a little dated. Thank you, Eric

There are two things that you should seriously consider replacing before hitting the streets.

The original center caps are held on to the wheels with plastic fingers. When things heat up the fingers loose their grip and fly off. Most Trans am wheels of that era had center caps that look exactly the same but have metal inserts to help the plastic fingers. I suggest replacing your center caps with ones that have the metal fingers, topped with with new GNX center decals.

The GNX turbos are also a week link, especially when the boost is turned up. The ceramic turbine wheel is prone to breaking off the shaft. Many gnx owners box up their original GNX turbo for safe keeping and go with an aftermarket turbo. All of the 'TA' turbos are stock appearing, meaning that they bolt up to the existing three bolt exhaust manifold, and turbo bracket that mounts to the front of the cylinder head. The TA turbos also fit underneath the existing heatshield. The TA-49 turbo is a nice choice if you aren't looking for big power gains, it's very streetable. If you go with the larger TA-61 you ought to also increase fueling (larger injectors, chip, and fuel pump). Limit engineering is an excellent vendor for TA turbos.

HTH

You can do some mods and still keep it stock "appearing" with the following
1. Replace turbo as suggested, TA49 or GT3255, both a nice streetable upgrade
2. Replace intercooler with PTE stock location and put on a repro GNX intercooler tag
3. Basic performance mods such as a modern chip, either a K&N filter or some type of cold air induction that put the air filter behind the head light. There are many good ones to choose from.