GNX style Dash

86Nick

Not your Grandpas' regal
Someone needs to start cranking GNX REPRO Dashes again. I want to get rid of all the gauge pods, so my car doesn't look like a Rice Burner.

2838007523_97c20c2c41.jpg

Someone needs to start cranking GNX REPRO Dashes again. I want to get rid of all the gauge pods, so my car doesn't look like a Rice Burner.

I hear ya. I really wish GNX DASH.COM was still around. I'm suprised no one has picked up where he left off. I guess he stopped making them for a reason. Probably too big a PITA to make it worth anyones time.

No sir. I bought it from a collector in Santa Cruz. The car has been in the bay area all of its life. Wanna buy it? :biggrin:

No, mine gives me enough problems to keep me busy. My freind just sold a nice one with the same dash you have and I thought it might be the same car since I saw you were located in CA. Enjoy your car :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have been looking for one for quite a long time. The only one that is made today is by POSTON"S and it does not look that good

Jack

Probably too big a PITA to make it worth anyones time.

FWIW -

PITA vs what people are willing to pay. GNXdash.com was expensive and I decided to do my own after he folded up shop. By the time you buy the gauges, fab the mount, modify the core support, wiring, etc, etc it adds up. He wasn't quite as expensive as I thought after doing it myself. I did some of these back in the spring. I offered the complete pre-wired deal with all of the modifications, Metri-pak connectors, etc that was about as plug-n-play as possible. I also let some of the DIY folks just buy the mounting plate and try it themselves.

It is VERY time consuming and not for the faint at heart as it requires cutting of the stock dash and a good deal of wiring. Everybody wants one but very few are willing to pay to have it done right with the amount of time it requires. Then there are those who think it's easy and that they can do it themselves. It took me many botched plates, parts, etc before I got mine right. I've had a whole lot of PMs wanting me to do more but I'm not sure there are enough SERIOUS people to warrant making another effort. Last time there were a bunch of people wanting "something for nothing" if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my first completed dash - not trying to duplicate the GNX - just what I feel looks best.

WPEInstall2-1.jpg

Bent6, I inquired about one of these dashes back when you were building them and the only drawback I have is that the plastic face can't be used. Why is it that these can't be done like the original GNX dash?

Bent6, I inquired about one of these dashes back when you were building them and the only drawback I have is that the plastic face can't be used. Why is it that these can't be done like the original GNX dash?

It can be done but you would have to recess the mounting plate to have enough clearance for a lens like the stock setup. Then you would need a plate with sides and top/bottom rails to conceal the gaps - this would require CNCing the plates and much more time and $$$. My design eliminates the idiot lights and since the individual gauges themselves have their own lenses, I simply flush mounted the plate and eliminated the lens altogether. I never understood why anyone would want to take a set of gauges that already have their own individual lenses and then go back and put a clear piece of plastic in front of them. This is just my preference as I built mine for my car and never intended to market it to the public. FWIW:cool:

It can be done but you would have to recess the mounting plate to have enough clearance for a lens like the stock setup. Then you would need a plate with sides and top/bottom rails to conceal the gaps - this would require CNCing the plates and much more time and $$$. My design eliminates the idiot lights and since the individual gauges themselves have their own lenses, I simply flush mounted the plate and eliminated the lens altogether. I never understood why anyone would want to take a set of gauges that already have their own individual lenses and then go back and put a clear piece of plastic in front of them. This is just my preference as I built mine for my car and never intended to market it to the public. FWIW:cool:

You just don't get it do you. What we are looking for is a dash that looks like the Factory GNX dash.
The dash should look stock and not like a p.o.s. that someone made in their back yard.
The ones that GNX dash.com was making at the end were the best so far. I Know that if they were still avaiable I would have one in my Car.

Jack

You just don't get it do you. What we are looking for is a dash that looks like the Factory GNX dash.
The dash should look stock and not like a p.o.s. that someone made in their back yard.
The ones that GNX dash.com was making at the end were the best so far. I Know that if they were still avaiable I would have one in my Car.
Jack

Apparently you don't get it:rolleyes:. Are you saying that the GNX style dashes Bent6 put out are p.o.s? Have you ever seen the dashes Bent6 put out. Apparently not.

Considering the original Stewart Warner guages are no longer available no one is going to beable to duplicate the GNX dash. Maybe you never saw the dashes GNX.COM put out? They were decent but in no way shape or form were they like an original GNX dash, nor were they intended to be. I know this because I bought one. Did you?

Get your facts straight before you make stupid comments:rolleyes:.

Apparently you don't get it:rolleyes:. Are you saying that the GNX style dashes Bent6 put out are p.o.s? Have you ever seen the dashes Bent6 put out. Apparently not.

Considering the original Stewart Warner guages are no longer available no one is going to beable to duplicate the GNX dash. Maybe you never saw the dashes GNX.COM put out? They were decent but in no way shape or form were they like an original GNX dash, nor were they intended to be. I know this because I bought one. Did you?

Get your facts straight before you make stupid comments:rolleyes:.

I apologize. I did not mean to say that the dashes made by Bent6 were not good quality. Some of the pics of the ones made by GNX.com where he removed the lenses off the gauges and then put a lens over the whole unit made it look more factory.

I did not mean to bash or offend anyone. If I did I am sorry.

I have been looking for just the right dash for my car and it would be nice if someone made one that was a complete package. I am not looking for something for nothing I know you get what you pay for and I would be willing to pay for the right dash.

Thank you for calling me on this after I reread my post it did not read the way I had intended it to.

Jack

I apologize. I did not mean to say that the dashes made by Bent6 were not good quality. Some of the pics of the ones made by GNX.com where he removed the lenses off the gauges and then put a lens over the whole unit made it look more factory.

I did not mean to bash or offend anyone. If I did I am sorry.

I have been looking for just the right dash for my car and it would be nice if someone made one that was a complete package. I am not looking for something for nothing I know you get what you pay for and I would be willing to pay for the right dash.

Thank you for calling me on this after I reread my post it did not read the way I had intended it to.

Jack

Bent6 says he might make another round of dashes. To duplicate the same deep pockets that the original GNX dash had would be a fabrication nightmare. They are more functional on a flat surface anyway IMO.

I get it alright. This kind of crap is one of the reasons I haven't done any more. Everyone has their opinions and then there are those who think it's easy. That's why I just sold some people the plates and let them try it for themselves.

I was just showing an OPTION - like Brett stated, there is no feasible way to duplicate the GNX dash. I never liked how the GNX had the gauges cocked to one side in order to fit in the idiot lights - that's why I made one like I wanted it to look.

I can assure you JACK that there isn't one thing on my car that remotely looks "back-yard" or p.o.s. especially my dash. I have seen some back yard hack jobs to dashes and I can assure you that mine isn't one of them. I would be more than happy to park my sled next to yours at a show any day.

Apology accepted.

I get it alright. This kind of crap is one of the reasons I haven't done any more. Everyone has their opinions and then there are those who think it's easy. That's why I just sold some people the plates and let them try it for themselves.

I was just showing an OPTION - like Brett stated, there is no feasible way to duplicate the GNX dash. I never liked how the GNX had the gauges cocked to one side in order to fit in the idiot lights - that's why I made one like I wanted it to look.

I can assure you JACK that there isn't one thing on my car that remotely looks "back-yard" or p.o.s. especially my dash. I have seen some back yard hack jobs to dashes and I can assure you that mine isn't one of them. I would be more than happy to park my sled next to yours at a show any day.

Apology accepted.

Like I said in my previous post I was not talking about your dashes. I am sorry for the confusion. I was not clear in my original post.

I am glad you accepted my apology

Thanks
Jack

Jack

Think Bent6 made some nice looking setups. :D