going on dyno - how do you think this combo wil perform?

turbo84gn

I'd rather be waterskiing
I will be taking the 87 "GNAT" to the Lane Auotomotive car show this weekend. I am scheduled to get the car on the dyno at 2pm this Friday at the show. How do you all think this will perform? I have the TurboLink DOS version, and plan to record the dyno session. I will post results after the weekend. I am posting on both gnttype.org and turbobuick.com.

Modifications:

• bored .030 over, TRW hypereutectic pistons
  • new GM stock crank for the Turbo Trans Am
  • high-volume oil pump
  • larger filter mod/fitting
  • professionally balanced.
  • minor head porting was performed, just enough to smooth out the port runs.
  • ARP head bolts
  • Steel Billet camshaft (208/210 duration) and roller lifters
  • Cloyes double True-Roller timing chain were also used.
  • Engine mounts: driver side - HRpartsNstuff poly, passenger side new stock style mount
  • TE-44 with a 58mm compressor
  • 3-inch Terry Houston Stainless Steel Downpipe with dump feeds a dual 2½” exhaust and mufflers (will have dump off for cruise and dyno test
  • Charged Air Systems V4 intercooler
  • throttle body coolant lines have been bypassed
  • 160°F thermostat w/ aluminum billet housing
  • Level 10 Performance Transmission System™, Level 10 Hydrosystem™, Blue Plate Special® Clutches, Kolene Reaction Plates, and anti-friction bearings are replaced with Torrington® bearings.
  • 42.5 lb/hr injectors.
  • Red Armstong XP intank fuel pump with switched 10-guage direct wire
  • Accufab adjustable regulator. Fuel pressure is currently set at 43psi static
  • Stock GM 8.5” Posi-traction with a 3.42:1 ratio.
  • Tires & Wheels: Stock steel 15X7 rims with 235/60R15 BFGoodrich Comp T/A. (Note: I know drag radials are better, haven't got that far yet)
  • updated chip for above combo

More info please.

What fuel will you be running and at what boost? :biggrin:

Pump gas - 93 octane, 20lbs boost. Guess I should have mentioned that :biggrin:

I see no scan tool.....and as stated above #20 pounds of boost will most likely be to high without running an alky system....play it safe and start at a lower boost and work your way up...I will assume that the dyno will have a wide-band o2 censor installed in you down pipe for there readings....did you put in a o2 bung in the down pipe so they can take readings.......so if you do not have a scan tool and you can not monitor knock do not even bother to go to the dyno....

Ok, I will assume those are joke responses :rolleyes:. The car has been on the road with that combo for over three years, it's not a brand new build fresh out of the shop. Well, the tranny is new, I rebuilt it over this past winter. I was just curious what to expect with that combo, that way if I fell short of the predictions I could take another look at my tuning :(. If I over achieved, then I could feel good about it :D

I have not been to the track yet with this one (just got the drive shaft loop last week), but compared to other cars, I should be better than 12.00 seconds, and thinking I could be low 11's with the right tires. So using the formula HP=(weight / (( ET / 5.825)^3)) ,, and a conservative ET of 12s, I should be better than 423HP.

Yes I have scan tool, TurboLink as stated in above post. It is not knocking at current settings. I will not have time to change settings on dyno, it's just a basic performance session. Chain your car down to it and test at the tires.

Yes I have scan tool, TurboLink as stated in above post. It is not knocking at current settings. I will not have time to change settings on dyno, it's just a basic performance session. Chain your car down to it and test at the tires.

Watch you knock readings and get out of it if it gets to high.....but to answer your question I will guess 340 rwhp....good luck and have fun.

330whp with a little timing (22-23*) thrown at it @22psi @11.3:1. Less hp if the tune is off. Your over cammed imo if you have not had the bowls cleaned up and a good competition valve job. Smoothing the runners does nothing to improve the flow.You should use a converter that will stall to at least 2400@zero boost/vacuum. After reading your fuel and boost projections i am correcting myself. My new guess is 260-270hp with a lot of detonation.