Going to the track in my Regal GS, predictions?

tpivette89

So I've been doing alot of maintenance to my 1997 Buick Regal GS. The list includes:

- new Autolite 104 plugs gapped at 0.050"
- MSD Streetfire plug wires
- Jegs coil packs (cheaper than GM replacements)
- all fluids flushed and filled (castrol 10w40, Valvoline ATF, GM dexcool with RedLine water wetter)
- all filters replaced (air, fuel, oil, PCV, trans)
- new front and rear pads and rotors, and new brake fluid
- new Goodyear 225/60R16 tires at all 4 corners
- TB removed, cleaned, and new gasket installed

I'm planning on heading up to Cecil County Dragway for their test and tune session on May 7th. The weather here has been a bit on the hot side (temps in the 70s - low 80s), so conditions probably won't be ideal. However, I'm still going to try to get the best E/T and mph possible.

For the runs, I plan on setting up the car as such:

- rear tires inflated to 40 - 45 psi
- front tires aired down to 15 - 20 psi
- blower iced down in between runs
- car allowed to cool to 140* before racing
- adding a few gallons of 100 octane unleaded for insurance

Any predictions as what I should run? I'm hoping to break 14s, but realize it may not happen depending on air temps/conditions. I am an experienced drag racer (having many passes under my belt, but mainly with RWD cars), but I've only raced one FWD car at the dragstrip (2005 5speed Sunfire... went 15.8 at 88mph 100% bone stock).

A friend of mine is bringing his 1997 Olds Achieva to run me (2.4L/auto). It is stock with the exception of a CAI... he thinks it will be a good race with my Buick, but I'm guessing he hasn't done his homework on the potential of the L67 motor. Haha, I guess he"ll learn when we line up!

maint. list all sounds good except the jegs coil packs - they may be fine but I know the aftermarket MSD ones are the same voltage as stock normally aspirated 3800 coil packs so those are a downgrade , dont know if its the same with jegs...

I have had no issues at the track going up to 60 with the rears - wouldnt go down the street like that as they will increase further with heat , well one issue sometimes its hard to hold still with dr's to do a burn with that much in the rears.

15-20 psi sounds good for drag radials but low for regular street tires. you can try punching it and if you get 2 marks at outer edge of tire you went too low , narrow burn is too high , you are looking for even contact.

97/98 intake is crippling with the 2 90* bends get some 4" intake tubing and a K&N cone filter and get at least partially into the fenderwell if you can , if not at least pull the dr. headlight out to give it some air , 2 quick pull tabs 20 sec job

my wifes 98 went 14.4 @ 96 several times for me with nothing else - holding 2nd through the traps on the limiter a bit , more mods and you will need 3rd gear.

if you can get at least into the 2.2 60 foots and 92/93 it should hit 14's for you.

if you want to disable all the traction control for the track ( beyond what the button kills) go in the pass door jamb and open the fuse panel on the end of the dash bottom row 3rd slot from left red 10 amp fuse and pull it , this will kill all TC , magnasteer & abs , you will get trac & abs lights on dash. expect to spin on a street night on street tires , its all about squeaking a bit without going up in a ball step on the gas in 3 or 4 increments

shallow stage & leave on last yellow should be safe on street tires on a l67 w body , I tighten it up to when the 2nd yellow shuts off- wanna make sure you CREAM your buddys car lol

good luck let us know how you do

personally, i think 104s on a stock car are a little to cold there two stages colder then stock.. and between those and a small gap of .50 ur holding the car back vs if u had AL 605s with .55gap...thats whats on my car and it does not knock at all ....could be only worth a .10-.15 but every tenth counts

lol dont worry bout ur buddys 2.4....my buddy had an 03 gs with cold air kit and a smaller s/c pulley......lets just say all the import and mustang guys around town never even seen it coming!!!! had no problems with keeping traction on would just squeal and GO!!!!

I agree the gap is a bit tight but a lot of 3800 people run below stock gaps , I think thats what zzp recommends for light mods

I run .060 (stock gap) on lightly modded unless spraying then I drop to .040

the 104's will be fine I run them in my wife & daughters gs's that one is intake only the other is 3.6 intake ,u bend delete with no issues , self clean fine mileage fine etc... run 15-20k betwen changes too

if your asking me yes copper 104's in mild mod cars , mid mod cars 104's with 103's in the middle cylinders , spraying large 103's all around

if your asking me yes copper 104's in mild mod cars , mid mod cars 104's with 103's in the middle cylinders , spraying large 103's all around

i was asking him...but now u got me interested. why run 103s in middle cyl with 104s on the outside?

read the plugs and really regardless of mods to get the line on the threads from heat in the middle of the threads your going to need colder in the middle cyl.

middle gets hotter and is most prone to chipping pistons

got the idea reading about plug reading - it was mentioned several times to run colder in the middle

yes, I'm running the standard copper 104s

I had no idea there were different voltages with the coil packs! I still have the stock 115k mile ones... maybe I'll bring them with me to the dragstrip and after a few passes, swap out the jegs coils and see if there's an improvement.

Thanks for the tip with the TC fuse. If I can't hit 14s as the car sits, I'll pull the intake ducting and remove the headlight. I remember GMHTP doing that when the GTPs first came out and got a decent improvement.

Either way, my friend in the Achieva is toast. There's probably more than a second difference between our cars. Don't know why he'd think it is gonna be a good race.

I agree he is toast just trying to help you make it bus lengths and hit your goal of 14's , keep us posted and sorry for the minor thread jack on the plugs

Definitely! The plan was to go on sat May 7th (this weekend). I'm getting pretty excited about it.

My friend has been talking smack about my car... oh how sweet it'll be when I jump out in front and just keep putting lengths on him.

I may even get my wife to video the whole thing. Gotta check the weather and hope for some lower than normal temps

Not reading good enough... come on guys, ever since my initial post I said MAY 7TH!

I'll report back this saturday after I race. I have a smartphone, so I can even update as i make passes. Promise!

Not reading good enough... come on guys, ever since my initial post I said MAY 7TH!

I'll report back this saturday after I race. I have a smartphone, so I can even update as i make passes. Promise!

My bad :eek: I'm days ahead. :biggrin: If the weather is good here Saturday night my son will be taking his 98GS out for a few 1/8 mile passes. Should be down in the 8.0-8.20 range. Good luck on your runs.

Well, my friend in the Achieva chickened out. Made an excuse about having to help his dad move "stuff" at the last minute. Maybe he DID do his homework after all and didn't want to be embarassed after all the smack talk ;)
If the weather is good here Saturday night my son will be taking his 98GS out for a few 1/8 mile passes. Should be down in the 8.0-8.20 range. Good luck on your runs.
DAMN thats fast for a FWD Regal. I wish mine was that quick... I'm probably gonna run a 9-something in the 1/8. Let me know how he does!

That Olds didn't stand a chance anyway. lol

My son has gone 8.50's @80-81mph in the 1/8. The spray should make him a little faster. :D

Well, first run done. DA was around 700. Hows this for a lets get acquainted pass:

14.54 at 94.44mph!

Holy ****, this Regal is f-ing fast for a bone stock car! For some reason, 60ft data didn't show up on the slip, but it went 9.35 at 75.28 in the 1/8.

Track prep was 25psi in the fronts, 45psi in the rears, icing the blower, pulling the TC fuse, and letting the motor cool for an hour before running.

Man, can't wait to see what it does on the 2nd run!