You can type here any text you want

Handling problem/improvement.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

#1HotRod

My '87 GN handles fine on a smooth surface, but when on patchy or uneven road (like many are!) handling becomes poor; car seems to want to wander about minutely. All original suspension except for 1" dropped spindles and front KYB's (supposedly not previously used) put on about 7 yrs ago. I was thinking
probably need front end bushings, perhaps new springs (& shocks), maby even those frame-to-body bushings shown in Kirban's book. I now see a good thread last 19th discussing H&R rear sway bar & I'm wondering if that itself would improve my handling problem. Would be expensive to do all the above & hope for the best, but prefer to go on informed suggestions.
Watcha think? Appreciate comments/suggestions.
Thankz.

1. Check front end parts (tie rods, bushings etc.) and replace as needed.

2. Bilstein Shocks.

:biggrin:

IMO

My '87 GN handles fine on a smooth surface, but when on patchy or uneven road (like many are!) handling becomes poor; car seems to want to wander about minutely. All original suspension except for 1" dropped spindles and front KYB's (supposedly not previously used) put on about 7 yrs ago. I was thinking
probably need front end bushings, perhaps new springs (& shocks), maby even those frame-to-body bushings shown in Kirban's book. I now see a good thread last 19th discussing H&R rear sway bar & I'm wondering if that itself would improve my handling problem. Would be expensive to do all the above & hope for the best, but prefer to go on informed suggestions.
Watcha think? Appreciate comments/suggestions.
Thankz.

Before you add any parts you need to make sure that the car doesn't have any worn bushings like T-CHRGD said below.

1. Check front end parts (tie rods, bushings etc.) and replace as needed.

2. Bilstein Shocks.

:biggrin:

IMO

Good start but most of the time the wandering feeling is because of worn parts as well as poor alignment. We had a discussion here just a little while ago and it should help you understand a little more on what you can do. Read up a little.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/g-body-drag-car-alignment-settings.290592

Thanks T-Chagd & Charlie,
I'm taking it to a shop this coming Monday for inspection, & will start with new frame-to-body and front end bushings. Hopefully that'll improve things. Think I'll next put in HR's rear bar.
Then back to trying to go faster :biggrin:

Glad to hear we could help. Post your results either here or on the alignment post.

Back