Hans

Quick Turbo V6

Define stock!
Anybody have one? If so which one? How do you like it? I'm looking into getting the sport model.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

I don't have a HANS. Don't think I'm fast enough to need that level of protection. You must have some plans!!!:eek:

Have you been to the track?

Dave

Scott,

I don't have a HANS. Don't think I'm fast enough to need that level of protection. You must have some plans!!!:eek:

Have you been to the track?

Dave

Dave,

Don't know I'm fast enough either...LOL I don't think its a bad thing to have. Never can have to much safety equipment:D Now that I'm a father has alot to do with it also. Maybe one day there will be a LSX powerplant dropped in, but for now the Stage 2 will work.

My car is still broke :frown: I have most of the parts to get the rearend fixed just waiting on my buddies chassis rack to be open.

How's your car doing? I aw that nice wheelstand you did down in BG:eek:

Scott

Agreed on the safety equipment......can't be too safe!

Being a parent will make you re-evaluate your priorities!

I haven't been to the track since Norwalk. I have a few changes that need to happen before I feel comfortable making any more passes.

The big wheelstands may look impressive, but honestly, they are rather scary!!

They are differant ones for the angles that your seat is on and how fat you are because they go down the front of you. Not a bad purchase unless you think that keeping your head attached isn't worth $1000.

They are differant ones for the angles that your seat is on and how fat you are because they go down the front of you. Not a bad purchase unless you think that keeping your head attached isn't worth $1000.

Yeah I'm looking at this one....

HANS Devices - Sport Series

They say a medium will fit "most". The model 20 is the one I'm thinking will work.

The sport model is around $700. It's heavier than the other 2 they offer but only having it on for 10 minutes at a time it should not be bad.

Scott

A friend of mine who runs a pro mod got one a few months ago and he had to be fitted have for his,i didnt thank it was "one size fits most".I guess i have been thinking more about my own safety lately,Must be a sign im getting wiser Ha. If this was ten years ago i would skip the safety portion of it for the go fast portion .

HNR devices

This post is long but worth reading! I will be at the BPG race in Columbus watching but not racing. I will have my gear with me if someone wants to look at it and try it on.

I have a Safety Solutions Hybrid Rage (composite and carbon fiber) HNR system.

I did quite a bit of research over the winter of reading articles of John Force's wreck in Dallas Sept 2007, what safety gear he had, watching crash test videos (head on and angular impacts) and analyzing the different types of mounting points. Cost of the device was no issue to me if it was going to cost $1150 as this is your life that you’re saving.

You’ll see in the on line articles of HNR systems the name Trevor Ashline of Safety Solutions. Trevor Ashline is the guy that has brought several HNR models to the market (R3, Hybrid, Hybrid X and now the Hybrid Rage) website http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/. Trevor has been working hand in hand with John Force racing prior to Eric Medlin's death in early 2007. Trevor and John Force's engineering team went work immediately after Eric's crash and death of improving the chassis stability/harmonics points, driver safety and the new HNR system "Hybrid". Trevor and Force Racing engineering, drivers (Height, Ashley and John) worked around the clock implementing the changes to all Force Racing chassis prior to the Las Vegas event in 2007. All changes were completed to the chassis' and shipped to Vegas in time for the event.

I had a chance to speak to Trevor himself over the phone about the different types of HNR systems that he has available. We spent over an hour on the phone discussing the HNR's, Eric's wreck/death, chassis modifications, John's wreck in Dallas, NHRA, belts, seats and helmets.

Trevor conducted test earlier in the week of more crash data on the Hybrid systems in some changes they made. Trevor said that if I could wait a week for my brace, he would sell me one of the Hybrids that were revised.

Overall I must say that I owe Trevor a big "Thank You!" for taking time out of his busy schedule as he was getting ready to leave later in the afternoon for a SCCA event in California for another client. How many people do you know that will take the time out of their busy schedule to talk to guy like myself, a novice racer? There are very few guys like Trevor in the world that will do that!

HNR types:

The Hybrid X is a full carbon fiber brace with 4 tethers (2 on the back and 2 on the front) The 2 on the front keep the head stable/straight in the take off and during any tire shake. This is the one that John, Ashley and Height wear.

The Hybrid is also a full carbon brace with the two tethers on the back. Built for Prostock and NASCAR in mind

The Hybrid Rage is same as the Hybrid system but is a composite/carbon fiber brace. This was made with the budget racer in mind to be cost effective and for car that are not going as fast as the Top Fuel guys that wear the full carbon fiber HNR.

You will see in all the Hybrid systems that the brace provides protection and proper alignment of the spine and is attached directly to your body via the chest strap and two bottom tethers that tie into the 5 point harness belt. I actually feel more secure seated and geared up than I did before. The bottom tethers from the chest strap that connect into the 5 point harness make the lower torso more secure and limit the range of movement.

The HANS device relies on directly of the shoulder belts to keep it in place in proportion of the body and helmet. If in an impact with the HANS and if the shoulder belt falls off, whats keeping the HNR system attached to you? NOTHING!

The Hybrid system is held in place to the body by the chest strap so if the shoulder belt slips off in an impact the HNR is still attached to the body and decreasing the risk of a neck injury.

Trevor also recommends wearing a neck collar in conjunction with the Hybrid as it provides more stability and comfort.

Setup and Wearing the HNR:

Wearing the gear does take some getting use to. I spent a day measuring out the placement of the D-rings on the helmet for the HNR tethers as I just spent $700 on a new helmet . Adjusting the tethers for side to side visibility (limiting the range of movement decreases the risk of injury). Placement of the shoulder straps to make it easy strapping in. Timing and practicing putting on the HNR outside the car, getting in the car, putting on the helmet, strapping into the 5 point harness, and exiting the car in an emergency of fire, strapped in and connected, I simulated a wreck to see the range of movement that my head and body would travel before the HNR will engage and how it supported throughout.

If anyone is interested in the links of the crash videos and articles I have, let me know and Ill post.

John Martin
1986 Buick T-Type
9.71 @ 140

Trevor Ashline HNR article

Head & Neck Restraints

Basline impact frontal collision with no brace.

Angular impacts with the HANS, Hutchens (not the hybrid), D-Cell and Simpsons.

John Martin
1986 Buick T-Type
9.71 @ 140

Crash dummy video

Here is a video of another HNR device called Issac. This HNR is actually attached to the shoulder straps unlike the shoulder straps rest on top of the HANS.

Here is a prime example of what can happen if your straps are not snug.

This site link also has additional data of the tension strength each device is capable of supporting.

Isaac Head and Neck Restraint System

John Martin
1986 Buick T-Type
9.71 @ 140

Wow. Thanks for the links. I'm only half way through them all and am learning a bunch. Thanks again.

Actual in car crash video

Hutchens Device

Click on Bill Alley on board crash video. Bill is wearing the Hutchen's device and not a Hybrid.

John Martin
1986 Buick T-Type
9.71 @ 140

Anytime Donnie. This is all the information I have at this time. It took me a while to find all this information earlier this year so I have alot of time invested into this.

John Martin

Yeah I'm looking at this one....

HANS Devices - Sport Series

They say a medium will fit "most". The model 20 is the one I'm thinking will work.

The sport model is around $700. It's heavier than the other 2 they offer but only having it on for 10 minutes at a time it should not be bad.

Scott
thats the one i have, not heavy at all. much better than a neck brace. ill never wear a neck brace again! hans is non choking and safer.and it is a medium.

Len. I can't tell from the picture on their site. Does that model have a single point release tether?

Len. I can't tell from the picture on their site. Does that model have a single point release tether?
no. 2 pull straps. one on both sides of helmet. very easy and after a while, you will know where they are automatically.