Harland roller rockers

I've never owned a set of HS rockers......I have several sets of T&D's and tons of spare parts and use them on nearly every serious engine build. T&D's certainly aren't perfect either. I still end up shimming the rockers to center the roller on the valve tips. I've never had the binding issues described above.

I have a few questions about the bearing system and oiling. True!! the T&D's use the two rows of smaller needle bearings, The space between the rows is for oil to flow from the pushrod adjuster into the rocker body. The rockers have a hole drilled into this area allows oil to exit the rocker body and oil the roller tip and valve tip. If HS uses a solid single row of needles, how do the needles get lubrication? Splash? Drilled passage?

Last year I lost the needle bearings on one intake rocker arm. The needles just fell out and the bearing race was all ground up. Luckily I caught the failure before any debris hit the oil pan. I sent the intake rockers back to T&D and they told me that the cause was valve float. This makes sense, because I was seriously undersprung when I first put my S2 engine together. I bought 6 new intakes and Life is Good again!

Dave, Here are some pics. of the oiling in the T&D's (silver) and the H&S's (gold) You can see where the oil will go in the T&D's as they actually have an oil galley in the center. The H&S's have the same set up in the adjustment screw hole but there is NO hole in the bearing area. I think with those raised little bars between each needle bearing it stores oil at the ends of them? I can see what Red says about one big bearing as to the two little ones. MORE stability.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    517.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    820.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    663.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    837.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    789.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    920.6 KB · Views: 172
Mike,

Thanks for the pictures. That explains alot. H&S must rely on splash to oil the bearing unless the bearing shell has an opening that allows oil in from the adjuster. H&S have wide bearings and larger needles. The T&D appear to have a higher needle count.

Mike,

Thanks for the pictures. That explains alot. H&S must rely on splash to oil the bearing unless the bearing shell has an opening that allows oil in from the adjuster. H&S have wide bearings and larger needles. The T&D appear to have a higher needle count.

I can tell you they are for sure not splash oiled...i have watched mine while priming and oil definitely comes out of the bearings.

Yes Collin Iv'e also seen them running and it's NOT splash, as oil was just a comin out of the bearing.You guys have got me curious now but I'm sure they have an oil galley behind the bearing, like the oil galley in the middle of the T&D's. I'm going to press the bearing out of one and see.

Yes Dave the T&D's do have about twice as many needle bearings as the H&S's. But of coarse they are alot smaller too.

m233roller said:
Yes Collin Iv'e also seen them running and it's NOT splash, as oil was just a comin out of the bearing.You guys have got me curious now but I'm sure they have an oil galley behind the bearing, like the oil galley in the middle of the T&D's. I'm going to press the bearing out of one and see.

Yes Dave the T&D's do have about twice as many needle bearings as the H&S's. But of coarse they are alot smaller too.

This is correct mike ive torn sets of these down 100% for cleaning including removal of the caged needle bearings and they are oiled as you describe.

Thanks Bison, thats what I thought and now I don't have to mess with taking it apart. You the MAN !!

m233roller said:
Thanks Bison, thats what I thought and now I don't have to mess with taking it apart. You the MAN !!

I'd take them apart if they are used to be sure
they are clean. Verify the ratio since they aren't stamped.

I was just trying to answer some of the questions above and I just happen to have some new and junk used ones. Thanks

I know this is an old thread. What rockers do you guys recommend? Harland Sharp, T&D, or Ta Performance(Made for Ta by T & D) Thanks

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, but can the pictures showing how to clearance the pedestals be brought back up somehow? Or reposted?

It's pretty easy with a milling machine and an .813" ball mill. I always hit the sides when I'm lowering the shaft saddles and truing them up.
IM002559.jpg

IM002553.jpg

but it can be done easily with a hand cutter, just not as pretty.

Same with making the pushrod holes where's they're supposed to be and not causing noise from pushrods hitting the head casting..
A day in the life of Earl....

I had the same problem with binding. When they assembled the rockers and spacers on the shafts they were not correct. I had to take the c-clips off the shaft ends and switch the position of the spacers , some are a little shorter than the others. Once I did that everything was silky-smooth.
^^ what he said. Move things around a bit if you have to. I remember doing that with mine.