You can type here any text you want

Harmonic Balancer on stock engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ed Valvo

Pushing limits on stock bottom end here and a harmonic balancer thread got me thinking. Can it be installed a bone stock engine to make it live longer? Or should it be done only where the engine can be balanced?

Pushing limits on stock bottom end here and a harmonic balancer thread got me thinking. Can it be installed a bone stock engine to make it live longer? Or should it be done only where the engine can be balanced?

What mph and weight? You will need to rebalance to switch balancers

Theoretically it should always be rebalanced, but most engine builders say if you never go over 5000 rpm why bother, so I think if you want to put on an externally balanced balancer and you don't routinely shift over 6000 rpms, do it if you want.

I think he already saw that John. It was in the harmonic balancer thread. Any changes to the rotating assembly it's a good idea to balance it for longevity.

Theoretically it should always be rebalanced, but most engine builders say if you never go over 5000 rpm why bother, so I think if you want to put on an externally balanced balancer and you don't routinely shift over 6000 rpms, do it if you want.
If hes testing the limits of the stock bottom end he will be up near 6000. Been there done that.

Ed, it is simple to change "balancers".

Remove yours, take it with the new one and have a machine shop balance your old one to the new one.

We have done this a few times.:)

Where your car is, good idea to replace the stock POS, especially after 22+ hard years. :D

Thanks guys. I'll consider trying in on my turd. Were the stock engines balanced from GM?

Back