You can type here any text you want

Harsh 1-2 shift & soft 2-3 shift problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rayk

Let the Boost begin!
I had my tranny rebuilt and had the rebuilder reinstall the Art Carr shift kit I had prior to the rebuild since it had worked fine beforehand. After the rebuild the 1-2 shift is very hard causing the tires to bark even with fairly medium throttle but the 2-3 shift is very soft (lazy). If I try to tighten the throttle valve cable to firm up the 2-3 shift, the 1-2 is very late and super hard.

So, I need to either soften up the 1-2 or harden up the 2-3. What are the possible fixes, if any, without removing the tranny? I appreciate any help. :)

What type of converter do you have?This affects shift feel.This is the kit that gives engine load sensitive upshifts at all throttle angles.www.CKPerformance.com

With the tranny overhaul, I installed the "Orange Stripe" 2800 stall converter which, I believe, is stock diameter. I realize a looser converter will soften up shift feel but, the 1-2 shift is much harsher than it was before the rebuild. And, the 2-3 is softer. If I adjust the throttle cable looser to make the 1-2 shift feel bearable, the 2-3 slips too much.

Our kit corrects the problem.The design of the Art Carr kit makes the 1/2 brutal with a 12" converter and does very little to correct the 2/3 slip.If your trans is in good health th CK kit is what you need.

Look at probably having a leak in the valvebody, i had this same problem and one of the bolts in the valve body had stripped and could not be torqued down making fluid travel from one vein to the another, try torquin all the bolts on the Valvebody see if that solves your problem before you go buying shift kits etc etc, if the CK kit includes all the springs and the valves needed to correct this problem then that is the way to go, if you dont have a leaky valve body then your trannie shift point are out of sync and you need the correct valves and springs to correct this.. good luck.

Look at probably having a leak in the valvebody, i had this same problem and one of the bolts in the valve body had stripped and could not be torqued down making fluid travel from one vein to the another, try torquin all the bolts on the Valvebody see if that solves your problem before you go buying shift kits etc etc, if the CK kit includes all the springs and the valves needed to correct this problem then that is the way to go, if you dont have a leaky valve body then your trannie shift point are out of sync and you need the correct valves and springs to correct this.. good luck.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll raise it up and drop the pan & check the VB bolts.

I had the art carr shift kit in my car before i rebuilt it , shifted the same as yours , put the ck shift kit with servo in it during the rebuild , billet forward drum and dual fed the direct clutch , i will never try an art carr kit again chris has all my business , its been over a year and several 10 second passes without a problem. Buy his kit you wont regret it.

CK shift kit is awesome....;) I build my own stuff but buy his kit and parts.

I would also recommend using the info provided by Chris/Lonnie/Bruce( I don't mean to leave others out) but these guys have spent considerable time R&D specific to the turbo buick and "IT"s needs, the art carr kit is someting we all tried in years past but it really was a "generic" shift kit by todays standards.
Playing around with the cable to get the feel right is a bad way of altering the pressures inside, get the pressures RIGHT and leave that damm cable alone, adjust the feel by accumulators.

Kevin.

PS: I'll also bet money that all these guy's will drive their "Test Mules" with nothing more than idiot lights for the engine and a pressure guage for the trans installed in the cockpit somewhere. I'm ready for that bet!

Kevin.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys..........

I'm going to check the valve body torque and then, pick up the CK kit if that doesn't help.

Back