You can type here any text you want

Has anyone gone .060 on the bore?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
My new project included a "rebuilt" engine and there are some issues. It's been bored .060 over and the pistons are .1025" in the hole and with the head gasket that means a total of .1475". I will have to replace the pistons at least to get what I'm after. Has anyone run a .060 bored block without breaking it?

.060 bore ok but .1025 in the hole ???wrong info???
ps its wall thickness that matters not bore size

i was reading a thread on here the other day and a couple guys were saying they knew some people that were .080 over and they made it sound like there were blocks out there bored more than that.it was made clear that it couldn't be done with every block though.

Charlie,
Is that in a 4.1 block?
It "may" be cheaper to find another block for the power level you are after, or, sleeve the block. ( With your experience, I am sure you have already thought about it :biggrin: )

My new project included a "rebuilt" engine and there are some issues. It's been bored .060 over and the pistons are .1025" in the hole and with the head gasket that means a total of .1475". I will have to replace the pistons at least to get what I'm after. Has anyone run a .060 bored block without breaking it?

Every block is a little different as to the max bore it can take, only a sonic test can tell for sure. Some of the tsm guys have reportedly gone 0.080" over on a 109 block, but I'm sure it was filled with hardblok, they probably had to pick through several blocks to find one that would go that far, and they probably figured going in that if they got 100 passes it was a big success. Several guys over the years have made 10 second hp with 0.040" over blocks but I don't recall anyone running 0.060" over. Like always, it's about keeping detonation from happening. Guess you have to look at how much machine work is already in your block, since you have to buy pistons anyway, and decide how much more it would cost to replace it. If this is a drag car only, I'd probably run it. If it's a street car then I would really want to change blocks - thin cylinder walls will show up as extra blowby and overheating as the miles add up.

Charlie,
Is that in a 4.1 block?
It "may" be cheaper to find another block for the power level you are after, or, sleeve the block. ( With your experience, I am sure you have already thought about it :biggrin: )

No it's not on the 4.1 Jerry, it's on the "rebuilt" one I got with the car.:eek: I never personally use an engine some one else builds unless I at least take it apart to check it out, and it does have 2 dot rods and the correct casting # but that's about all:mad: . I'm starting to think the 4.1 is the way I'm gonna have to go after all.:confused: I was hoping this thing would be a litte easier to put together but my luck after all.:( Does anyone know who does sonic testing in the DFW area?

As far as the pistons being that far in the block, it's not bad info thadeal4real, They really are that far down.:eek: Once I got the heads off I had to stare at it in shock. Then I got the calipers and couldn't believe it.:eek: And I'm a little grumpy this morning. I still have more cooking to do. Sorry you guys can't come for the party.:biggrin: Ribs, brisket,chicken, steaks, and who knows what else the otheres will bring.

I run an .080 over 109 in TSM. It is hardblocked. I used the first block i picked up. Didn't have a pile of them to sort thru. Have it sonic checked.

I would start with a new block and pistons minimum. Not worth the aggravation to try and band those issues or potential issues. I cant imagine why the pistons are that far down. Are the rods full floated with bronze bushings in them?

What are you trying to run with it? I had mine bored .060 over back in 2001 and it's been fine, but it's only a low-11 second car. I plan to squeak into the 10s with it, but don't aspire to much more than that.

Jim

I would start with a new block and pistons minimum. Not worth the aggravation to try and band those issues or potential issues. I cant imagine why the pistons are that far down. Are the rods full floated with bronze bushings in them?

The rods ar pressed on. The company is aaaa in Dallas and I'm glad I didn't buy it from them. The pistons look like a standard cast replacement that they just slapped in to sell the motor. I've got a standard bore 4.1 that I was going to use (no cracks) but I was hoping I could just take this one apart and get lucky. Of course not, it's me after all.:mad:

What are you trying to run with it? I had mine bored .060 over back in 2001 and it's been fine, but it's only a low-11 second car. I plan to squeak into the 10s with it, but don't aspire to much more than that.

Jim

The build is a little different. Click on the links in my sig to get a better idea. I was originally goin to restore the 83 I got but the 82 is a much better condition car. If everything works the way I'm hoping it will, it will be the first carb/turbo car below 12:99 and from what I've been doing I might be able to make it into the 11's. I was just wanting to see how many others have bored a block out this far. I will have to have it sonic checked one way or another. Info like yours is what I've been looking for Jim, Thanks.

I run an .080 over 109 in TSM. It is hardblocked. I used the first block i picked up. Didn't have a pile of them to sort thru. Have it sonic checked.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I'm amazed that the first block worked.

Back