You can type here any text you want

head crack

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DarthBuick

I Win even in your dreams.
I was cleaning the head and noticed what looks like a small crack. It wasn't leaking water or showing any symptoms. I was his under the carbon build up. crack head.png Does this look repairable. This project is jinxed The engine was supposed to be ok when I bought it. So after a new crank, pistons, this shows up. it will be hard to replace one head because they were ported and polished and o-ringed. the fun and excitement of getting this car is about gone. It had no symptoms of a head crack at all. It ran good and O only pulled the enging tp repair oil leak and paint.

Those don't look like they have a lot of work done to them. Stock valve and the valve seat isn't blended. I doubt much of anything has been done to them. I would replace with a fresh set of heads. Id also look everything thing else over including the bottom end if this was sold to you as a good running engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was hard for me to tell how much work was done without stock heads to compare to. Do these look close to stock ports?head3.png head1.png head1.png The intake has 1.77 and exhaust valve is 1.5. I thought the job looked ok. If these are plain old heads I will have to find some stockers then and not lose performance. Thanks

Can't see the short turn. With a decent valve job and bowls cleaned they get to about 180cfm on the intake. The rest is in the short side

This is a stock head compared to a not quite finished head that I was working on. When you get a good porting job done you'll see the differences.
DSCF1045.JPG

Here's a high flowing stock head:
f85b29635600f50872a98588d08863dd.jpg
cee3da05342f2a73d15564ec2eef72dc.jpg

Though not in the pic the short turn is heavily worked

This is what stock bowls look like
Here's a high flowing stock head:
f85b29635600f50872a98588d08863dd.jpg
cee3da05342f2a73d15564ec2eef72dc.jpg

Though not in the pic the short turn is heavily worked

Now that is a nice job. You mentioned checking the bottom end. I did and it was shot also. I got the bad end of the deal. But I already have a new crank,rods and forged pistons. I probable don't have the money for new heads right now and may have to shelve the whole thing.

Put a stock set of heads on and enjoy the car

Bison, where do I get those valves, and do the guides have to be moved for them to fit? I'm porting the heads in the pic I posted earlier.

Tia

I think those are Ferrea and the guides don't need relocation

Question for Bison. That pic you posted of a real port job. How much of the valve guide was removed and would this affect valve guide life on a street driven car.

Question for Bison. That pic you posted of a real port job. How much of the valve guide was removed and would this affect valve guide life on a street driven car.
None of the guide was removed

Friend of mine removed his guides when he ported his own heads. Guides were wasted after only a couple thousand miles.

Back