You can type here any text you want

Head Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MCH86GN

Has any one ever used a bigger bolt to bolt in their rocker shaft? My rocker shaft broke and with it, the bolt sheered off into the pedestal. I then drilled bolt with the recommended bit size for the easy out and then I was able to screw the easy out in, but when I tried turning it to extract the bolt the damn easy out snapped off inside the bolt. I then drilled it out, it took many hours to do and now I may need to step up to a 10mm from the 8mm that is currently used. Or I may be pulling the head and filling and retapping the hole. If these weren't Champion ported I wouldn't be worried.

Chances are the bolt broke first. Probably from over torqueing at one time. The factory bolt is 3/8-16. There is no advantage to a larger bolt. The hole can be drilled and tapped deeper if needed. Thread inserts could also be used and stacked if needed.

Not to mention if you use a larger bolt you need a larger hole in the shaft which will make it easier to snap.

Back