Headliner, need stronger glue?

NY87GN

I decided to replace my sagging headliner last year. I used 3M upholstery adhesive, and 10 months later the glue is failing. I sanded the old glue off the backing. I thought I cleaned it well enough. I’m looking for any advice and a stronger glue.

I thought it was the foam backing itself that breaks down. Won't any adhesive just absorb into the bad foam and sag again in short order? Like you already experienced?

I thought it was the foam backing itself that breaks down. Won't any adhesive just absorb into the bad foam and sag again in short order? Like you already experienced?
Mateo, you have a point. Perhaps it’s time to start thinking of a new solution to the foam. Has anyone used a substitute, I was thinking a thin piece of plywood or cardboard.

Headliner material is backed with thin layer of foam (the factory board is also foam but thats a different more durable material). It's the foam backing on the material itself that breaks down and causes the droops. You can buy material on line 3 yards and 2 cans of adhesive should do it and be less than $75.

When you do the headliner you have to scrap all the old foam off the board. Use a scraper and a nice stiff brush to help with all the small pieces. Then spray the headliner board down with clue then let it sit for about five minutes so the clue becomes tacky. Then with headliner material state putting it down. Start from the center and work you way out. You can do one half at a time if you want

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My son worked at an upholstery shop and 3M super adhesive is what they used. He did my 92 truck headliner but you have to get ALL of the old foam backing off & use new fabric

Weldwood contact adhesive,comes in a quart can, maybe smaller - you won't need more than half if that. You paint it on the backing board only, let it tack up for 10 minutes. Have a friend help you set the headliner fabric down evenly on the backing board and roll it out smooth with a 2 liter coke bottle. Don't put any directly on the headliner material foam - it will quickly melt and harden the foam and screw up your job. The adhesion from the backing board will hold it plenty well. Oh, it will get you high quick - make sure you apply it with plenty of air flowing and no gas water heater nearby. Kaboom.

A friend of mine just purchased a new headliner for his GN from Summit Racing, it came rolled up in a box.
It is a new flexible backer with the cloth already installed, just opened it up and installed in the car, pretty slick !

I did my Blazer headliner back on '07. Used tan cloth from Wal*Mart and plain ole 3M spray adhesive from Wal*Mart. It's still in place.

I think the trick is to spray both sides and give it time to set up. Much like using contact adhesive.

wantattype2, what brand was the headliner? I just looked at Summit and they have PUI but it says that the backer is abs and it's solid.

I got my ABS headliner from year one. It was $200 or so. Not worth my time personally to redo a stock one for those bones.

wantattype2, what brand was the headliner? I just looked at Summit and they have PUI but it says that the backer is abs and it's solid.

Yes I believe that PUI was the brand, and on abs backer but shipped rolled up in box .

I replaced my headliner today, was surprised how easy it was and didn't take very long. I did the same as WE4Mateo, went with the ABS one for $178.00 shipped. It looks good and took an hour or so to install. I agree, not worth the hassle to keep repairing. Of course mine is a T-top car so it was really easy.

What color (for PUI) for the 87 GN? I see Med Grey is most common, but without a sample it's hard to pick