You can type here any text you want

heads & cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

topnotch

86 gn with 138,000 miles on it, i was wondering if i wanted to put some heads & a cam in it do i have to rebuild the motor or can i just install them

That is a question that you talk about with your friends, but here there is really no good answer as lots of info is missing.

No, should be the appropriate answer with a high milage engine like yours, and a cam change will not do squat for more power on a stock GN anyway.

so basily a rebuild is due, plus i have no friends with a gn just asking had the car a while since 84,000 its not stock but cant remember what's been done I'll have to look for the list what about heads

If the engine didn't have a life with regular doses of detonation and never over heated or anything heads will take you very far with a few other supporting parts and tune. I'd be less worried about mileage and more about how it was taken care of. I've seen 50 mile engines trashed. I had a stock shortblock with 147k on it and it ran low 10's and took 2 years before I broke a piston .

@ bison ive never overheated it, it was a cruiser & and a daily driver for a little while ,its been parked since 09 ive never taken it to the track but had a few kills here & there with but nothing major just wanting to pep it up a bit any situation would be greatly appreciate

@ bison ive never overheated it, it was a cruiser & and a daily driver for a little while ,its been parked since 09 ive never taken it to the track but had a few kills here & there with but nothing major just wanting to pep it up a bit any situation would be greatly appreciate
What are your current modifications? We need to know what you have done to the car to be able to point you in the right direction if all you want is a little more performance out of your car. A stock longblock with the proper supporting modifications will take you a long way, you just have to address a few things befor turning up the wick. The fuel supply would be the first thing i would address right after a spring cleaning. Update your signature with whatever is done to the car so the more knowledged than me can point you in the right direction. This is not your typical SBC, where swapping out a cam and heads is the norm for some type of performance gain.

Back