You can type here any text you want

Heads champion or ta ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Are there any pros of irons over aluminums???

Price...and spend the savings on additional parts you may need or want. Especially if irons will work for your performance goals and it sounds like it will.

Are there any pros of irons over aluminums???
I have asked this question before and the answer that i got was $$$$$ more for the aluminum heads.
Here is my deal-- i don't have a clue as to what i am doing and i don't care to spend the time learning how to tune every HP out of my set up so this puts me in the "needing more to get more " or "dumb fck" category (pick two). If i was do it all over again i would have went all out ported aluminums and would have been happy going in the high tens with 8 second heads. Now i've spent what ever little money i had reworking Irons. I base my opinion on this fast shit being twice as bad as a drug habit, i was going to be happy with a 12.99 and now 11ns is way too slow for me.
Good luck and plan LONG TERM. Short term is way too expensive

I just made the switch and have a thread on it if you want to look it up.

My take on it is the Aluminum heads make the same power on less boost. The TA heads are less likely to lift do to being a stronger casting. They flow better than irons as well. The difference in $$$ isn't drastic either as far as cylinder heads go. In the naturally aspirated world I used to live in cylinder heads and cam were everything. I have $6000 in a set of small block Mopar heads to give you a comparison, that's just heads. You can do TA heads for about a 1/3 rd of that.

The aluminum heads can be repaired easier if need be.

The only thing I wish I would have done different is buying the heads with or without valve springs. I bought mine complete and now I need different springs for my set up.

Also don't forget about the weight difference..

In the naturally aspirated world I used to live in cylinder heads and cam were everything
I understand but when its forced in its a different world,very few guys will ever max a good set of iron heads they are better than you think and stay on the motor with the correct tune.

My take on it is the Aluminum heads make the same power on less boost.
it depends on the combo but you cant just change one part of the combo and expect massive gains there are potential gains but other areas need to be addressed to make the head shine.there are slow al headed cars out there as well;)

building a driver not a track car curious whats everyones opinion which head is better out of the box ta street intimidators or champions ? 20 over stroker not sure on the turbo yet and i would like to make 600-650 to the rears

I can assure you of one thing about the TA heads, you have them built/ported/springs to your specific requirements and budget, and on the way to you in 3-4 weeks, and you can reach me by phone from 8 AM to 8 PM most days! :)

it depends on the combo but you cant just change one part of the combo and expect massive gains there are potential gains but other areas need to be addressed to make the head shine.there are slow al headed cars out there as well;)

I would agree with this 100%

My small block Mopar makes big power on all motor. Cam, heads, Quench, Compression, intake, carb, exhaust, weight, gearing, converter etc were all taken in to consideration. Scott Brown designed the cam and Ryan Johnson did the heads. I made an extra 125HP at the tire by upgrading heads and cam. The car ran 11.10's at 119 with 1.5 60 prior to that change at 3440# race weight, would have went 10's with a better converter. Now 10.50's at 131 mph with the same 60. Only cost roughly $6500:eek: What's and extra few hundred bucks for TA heads;)

Now what I see on this side of the fence is a little different and I'm still learning, my comments are from my observation not experience. Combo's don't seem quite as critical to go fast. Tune it and throw boost at it. I see cam's from 206 to 218 in similar builds with similar ET's and MPH. How critical is it to get everything matched perfect when you have a turbo? Dunno? I'm seeing combos all over the place. Most cars weigh about the same (ish) gears are mostly the same at 3:42's etc. Fairly even playing field. I guess in my case I can utilize the TA heads with my build. Would I throw them on a stocker? No

Is the price difference a deal beaker (if you have the supporting parts) to go aluminum over irons? IMO no way.

If you can support the extra flow and you get a few benefits with the TA heads it's a no brainer to me. Can you get it done with irons? Absolutely but the price difference between the two just isn't far enough apart to worry about it.

I would agree with this 100%

My small block Mopar makes big power on all motor. Cam, heads, Quench, Compression, intake, carb, exhaust, weight, gearing, converter etc were all taken in to consideration. Scott Brown designed the cam and Ryan Johnson did the heads. I made an extra 125HP at the tire by upgrading heads and cam. The car ran 11.10's at 119 with 1.5 60 prior to that change at 3440# race weight, would have went 10's with a better converter. Now 10.50's at 131 mph with the same 60. Only cost roughly $6500:eek: What's and extra few hundred bucks for TA heads;)

Now what I see on this side of the fence is a little different and I'm still learning, my comments are from my observation not experience. Combo's don't seem quite as critical to go fast. Tune it and throw boost at it. I see cam's from 206 to 218 in similar builds with similar ET's and MPH. How critical is it to get everything matched perfect when you have a turbo? Dunno? I'm seeing combos all over the place. Most cars weigh about the same (ish) gears are mostly the same at 3:42's etc. Fairly even playing field. I guess in my case I can utilize the TA heads with my build. Would I throw them on a stocker? No

Is the price difference a deal beaker (if you have the supporting parts) to go aluminum over irons? IMO no way.

If you can support the extra flow and you get a few benefits with the TA heads it's a no brainer to me. Can you get it done with irons? Absolutely but the price difference between the two just isn't far enough apart to worry about it.

My thinking, you are on your way too getting it done. Good job!!!

If you can support the extra flow and you get a few benefits with the TA heads it's a no brainer to me
That is my point most will never use a head like that and they are quite a bit more money with real port work and all the goodies.

Go Champion! I've had great talks at length with Tom at Champion and his stuff just works!!!

building a driver not a track car curious whats everyones opinion which head is better out of the box ta street intimidators or champions ? 20 over stroker not sure on the turbo yet and i would like to make 600-650 to the rears
650 rear wheel does not just automatically happen especially on a daily driver. In my opinion if your going to reach your goal at a streetable boost level you should do all you can to help the air get thru the engine.

Sorry to hijack. But if i'm looking to do high 10's with a 6265 spraying alky. Would you guys recommend porting my irons or would TA's do the job easier. Looking to lower boost if possible too. Sitting at about 23psi now with plenty of room to go up tho.

Current irons have been freshened and modified to work with my roller lifters.

Back