You can type here any text you want

heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Chops1972,

I've been asking the same question for a while now and you'll always get different answers from different people. I'm not the most knowledgable in turbo buicks and this is simply my opinion but it seems like a lot of people on this board are scared of aluminum heads, and they do have a bad reputaion since all the earlier designs cracked. But given that the latest designs from Champion and TA have proven to be reliable, I don't think it's an issue anymore. I just purchased a set of new aluminum GN1 14 bolt heads over the champion irons. My philosophy is if I can make the same power with less boost, "I jump in it". In addition the scorpion roller rockers needed for the 14 bolt heads at 300 bucks are way better than the stockers and a lot cheaper than any of the other options. Yes they may be a little noisy but I'm not concerned with that. I want reliability and performance. If you think about it, it's 300-350 more for the unported GN1's that outflow the ported irons. Plus if you ever want to go faster you can port them and have plenty of room to grow. Like I said this is my opinion and I have yet to hear a solid arguement against it besides the additional cost.

Paul

With all the post i've seen about gn1s cracking, makes me wanna stick with irons.

Sent from my Droid

my son son car with champion iron head stock rocker stock intake stock tho stock block 218rollor 70gtq TA header alky single pump gas 22lb boost 20 degreed timing we made 605 to the wheel.

took it to the track frist pass 21lb boost bad sixty 1:69 the car ran 6.60 at 109.98 at the 1/8 mile..got kick out of the track, NO CAGE...

What's a better head for a daily driver champion irons or alum?

This is a simple question, which is better"? :)

So forget about cost, cracks in them which can happen to both alum and iron, opinions from those who have no experience with running alum heads on the street, and just consider the facts.

First, the alum heads are less susceptible to lifting under boost as their added mass provides more resistance to lifting under higher boost. Basically, they are stronger/stiffer than production iron heads, especially the TA's.

Alum dissipates heat faster than iron, so it can handle higher boost or compression like late model engines, therefore alums can utilize gasoline with less octane to develop the same HP. Seen any new cars with iron heads? :confused:

Valves are larger so even un-ported alum heads flow better than ported irons and air flow = HP, or better HP. That means same HP as irons but with less restriction and less boost for the same HP.

So basically to answer the original question, alum heads can outperform the production iron heads period. :)

^^^i agree with this 100%. if you are looking to make the maximum power with the least boost with a strong combo you will have a hell of a time outdoing a porter set of aluminum heads with a properly set up valvetrain. I made 413whp@13psi, 620+@21psi,and 687@25psi with a 233ci and 66 turbo. I've never seen a hyd cammed engine with iron heads and single springs even come close to that. Even strokers with larger turbos can't touch that with iron heads.

^^^i agree with this 100%. if you are looking to make the maximum power with the least boost with a strong combo you will have a hell of a time outdoing a porter set of aluminum heads with a properly set up valvetrain. I made 413whp@13psi, 620+@21psi,and 687@25psi with a 233ci and 66 turbo. I've never seen a hyd cammed engine with iron heads and single springs even come close to that. Even strokers with larger turbos can't touch that with iron heads.

Brian, read frist post . the man is talking about daily driver.and for the money iron head R fine for what he what to accomplish. no doubt aluminum is the way go if you want to make big power .
the reason i mention my son car is becuase bigger is not always better.
if you see what this car have and the power is make you be please.
ask my tuner.OTTO!!:biggrin::biggrin:

His stated goals in his other post are mid 11s. Ported irons will get it done no problem but he wants help the economy so go for it.

Pronto,

I'd read this thread again, I didn't start it. Chops1972 did. I just put the link up on the thread I started because it was the same topic. I understand that you think aluminums are a waste of money but you have yet to give me one solid reason besides "irons will run 11's".

Brian, read frist post . the man is talking about daily driver.and for the money iron head R fine for what he what to accomplish. no doubt aluminum is the way go if you want to make big power .
the reason i mention my son car is becuase bigger is not always better.
if you see what this car have and the power is make you be please.
ask my tuner.OTTO!!:biggrin::biggrin:

I agree that iron heads will cover his goals though he didnt list them in this thread. Ive gone really fast on iron heads myself. I havent had a TR for a daily driver (nor do i care to) in over 14 years but there is no downside to running aluminum heads daily. But like you say i wouldnt waste my $ on them if i was looking for mid 11's. I wouldnt even go inside the engine at all if that was my goal. If you were to take the set of heads i was referring to in my prior post you would likely see around 715whp@25-26psi.

Pronto,

I'd read this thread again, I didn't start it. Chops1972 did. I just put the link up on the thread I started because it was the same topic. I understand that you think aluminums are a waste of money but you have yet to give me one solid reason besides "irons will run 11's".

if you want to run only 11s you dont need heads.you just need some BOLT ON MOD and you will DEEP in to the 11s..

I agree that iron heads will cover his goals though he didnt list them in this thread. Ive gone really fast on iron heads myself. I havent had a TR for a daily driver (nor do i care to) in over 14 years but there is no downside to running aluminum heads daily. But like you say i wouldnt waste my $ on them if i was looking for mid 11's. I wouldnt even go inside the engine at all if that was my goal. If you were to take the set of heads i was referring to in my prior post you would likely see around 715whp@25-26psi.

No doubt you would see 715 plus whp ..;)

Back