You can type here any text you want

help choosing cam!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo6cutlass

87gn with 70mm turbo, 3800 stall speed. In the process of ordering injectors and chip. However I need some advice choosing a cam. For now I only plan on running 16-18lbs boost. Any suggestions on a cam that can be dropped in

What ever profile you decide on I strongly recommend a roller cam.

what heads? I suggest roller also and probably need 212 or larger

Stock heads gonna stud em down... but I'm gonna have to make some changes with a 212 if im.not mistaken??

Need a little more of you combo and goals. You will have more options w/the 3.8k stall. Bison can even grind you one.

I was running a 212/212 roller cam...Just have to have the heads set up with the right spring height push rods and springs...You have a big turbo with alot of stall it might be overkill for your build??? Can you give more info???

Here's the story on why I'm at this point... bought the bigger turbo, and changed the fuel pump warlborough 355... I knew the motor needed more fuel with the bigger turbo... mechanic puts the turbo on doesn't change the oil does not wait for bigger injectors to arrive... engine gets knock... so I decided ima do majority of work myself since I have nothing but time on my hands for once... I'm going with eagle rods, je pistons standard size bore, arp head studs arp main studs, high volume oil pump. Obviously the block needs a good inspection. I wanted to keep the heads stock for now though . However everyone's input is appreciated. I know obviously to upgrade the heads or port and polish these would be wise for power gain and obviously since the motor is gonna be removed from the car in about 3 hours

212 doesn't just drop roght in does it
Your cam choice has to fit your combination to be effective. That's why we ask for your present combo and your goals. Check out the combo's on some of the other board members, to get a close idea of what you are shooting for. I'm presently upgrading mine, which was similar to 3.8's above^^

Here's the story on why I'm at this point... bought the bigger turbo, and changed the fuel pump warlborough 355... I knew the motor needed more fuel with the bigger turbo... mechanic puts the turbo on doesn't change the oil does not wait for bigger injectors to arrive... engine gets knock... so I decided ima do majority of work myself since I have nothing but time on my hands for once... I'm going with eagle rods, je pistons standard size bore, arp head studs arp main studs, high volume oil pump. Obviously the block needs a good inspection. I wanted to keep the heads stock for now though . However everyone's input is appreciated. I know obviously to upgrade the heads or port and polish these would be wise for power gain and obviously since the motor is gonna be removed from the car in about 3 hours
Just noticed you recently joined the board. Welcome!!! Relying on mechanics can be very scarey to say the least. You did the right thing by joining this board as we have some of the best TR people around.
since you are pulling the eng. why not at the least port match the heads and intake or mildly port if you have the time. There are several howto's on the subject. In fact, I believe there is one going presently you might consider. You can always keep an eye on the "parts for sale" section for when p/p heads come up for sale.

Just noticed you recently joined the board. Welcome!!! Relying on mechanics can be very scarey to say the least. You did the right thing by joining this board as we have some of the best TR people around.
since you are pulling the eng. why not at the least port match the heads and intake or mildly port if you have the time. There are several howto's on the subject. In fact, I believe there is one going presently you might consider. You can always keep an eye on the "parts for sale" section for when p/p heads come up for sale.
Haha thank you I've been spying on here for sometime now. I'll definitely take a look and make some considerations

You will need to have the valve guides cut down and seals installed if you change the cam. At least pocket port the heads and do a valve job with new springs to match the cam you decide on.

Stock heads are fine, but they need to be ported if are going to take advantage of a cam....What injectors are going to?? What are your speed goals???

I'm honestly trying to keep the heads stock

That statement indicates you have no clue on building a turbo engine/car as that is a major factor in developing HP and obtaining your performance goal.

Oh, I see you do not have a goal stated, so you do not even know where you are going performance-wise? :confused:

The proper combination of parts is VERY important and this can only be optimal when you have decided on a given performance level as well as how the car will be used.

Whatever performance goal you can set for a turbo Buick has been done successfully at least a hundred times by someone else, and if you were to put out your information this will save you lots of $$$ and time.

I'll never understand why people try to build around a turbo rather than build around the goals. 99% of the time the turbo is the wrong one anyway.

So I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna buy all new everything pretty much. I will be starting a new thread again most likely 2morro with more details. Thank you all for quick timely replies and help

Unless your heads are going to be ported and a valve job, a larger cam is pointless.
But if you are insistent on going to a larger cam, I have a 212/212 flat tappet cam with 5000 miles on it with adjustable pushrods if you are interested.
You will just need new lifters

Yeah gonna have them ported and polished etc. Don't wanna put it together to have to take it apart again

I'll never understand why people try to build around a turbo rather than build around the goals. 99% of the time the turbo is the wrong one anyway.

I have noticed most people want a big ass turbo or a big ass cam and then wonder why they have a slow ass TB . I have noticed what a little time I have been fooling with TB`s most of the time less is better and going slow is faster .

What ever camshaft you decide on order one that is about 2 steps smaller than what you wanted and then you will be very close .

Back