Help me pick a turbo for 100% street driven car

FTC

Sup guys looking for a turbo that will work well with the stock converter. As we don't have a track down here anymore my goals are lightning quick spool and throttle response. I absolutely do not want to change converters if at all possible. So I kind of have it narrowed down to a couple of turbos first the ta5557 journal bearing cause hartline has a sale. Next I was looking at a 5857bb or a cpte44bb. High hp numbers are a secondary concern to good midrange power for me cause the car will be mainly used in the mid range and not avwhole lot at the top of gears. Anyone have any suggestions? Mods are in my sig thanks

TE44 .63 Garrett ex housing. I couldnt justify a BB turbo on your combo. The extra cost could be used elsewhere. Id still want to have a restalled converter with any of those mentioned and the 44. The stock converter spools a stock turbo well with a good tune. It is not ideal for much else.

TE44 .63 Garrett ex housing. I couldnt justify a BB turbo on your combo. The extra cost could be used elsewhere. Id still want to have a restalled converter with any of those mentioned and the 44. The stock converter spools a stock turbo well with a good tune. It is not ideal for much else.

I second that. I had a 44 journal bearing with a 3000 stall and it spooled really fast

how about just using the stocker?your goals are lightning fast spool,no track goals just good response with no converter change=stock turbo.just tune,tune,tune.if i am missing the mark,then bison suggestion is the most logical less expensive way.plenty of guys running stockers in the low 12's with some dipping into the 11's on alky.

Since I put the alky kit on it feels like the stocker runs out of steam at about 20psi. I was just seeing if there was a turbo out there with a little more umph after 20psi. And be able to keep it streetable

should pull past 20psi i would look at the tune.i don't see the faster guys running only 20 psi on the stocker with alky to get the #'s.with alky the last stocker i was in was more than impressive at 23+psi with a healthy amount of timing.the stock turbo has been 116mph on pump gas alky.

ta5857

I have a 5857bb S cover stock converter (Ta was not available). This little 6 pulls hard from the Stop sign, like the 350 Vortec in are truck.My wife likes driving the car now because it dose not have that burst of power when it comes on boost. It comes on sooner and is smother.But if you want to fry the tires it will do it. It hard to really describe its manners,but you don't lean on it as hard as the stock Turbo.But your Butt Dino Can defiantly tell the difference.I have been running it through the stock airbox,3 in down pipe and A TT chip with 42lb Car goes 13.flat 103mph MPG is around 20.It was a lot of $$ but it was $$ well spent.The car is apart with a pill of mods in the garage going together soon.But when it was mostly stock the 5857 made the car way easier to drive.

Don't bother with the 55/57, it barely spooled faster than the 58/57 and it got hammered in mid and top end power. I wouldn't be surprised if this turbo was also dumped by PTE like the 60/57.

our set ups are similar ,hard to beat the little 44 ,just ran a very easy 11.4 ,drives great around town,my converter tho is a 2800 dusty.

60-57 (7 blade turbo) lost out to the 58/57 (6 blade) so PTE ditched it. All this info is in the EVO/Import world since those Vendors need to dyno turbos because that crowd is spoiled and won't buy anything until the parts have been dyno'd and proven.

This is how PTE's horsepower #'s came under fire since this crowd was making over 780awhp on a 62/62 and PTE says 670hp.

Attachment is how the 58/57 owned a 55/57, this shouldn't be a surprise as they have the same exhaust wheel yet the compressor is 3mm larger. 50whp better and barely a difference in spool.

Attachments

• 5857 vs 5557 dyno.jpg
    5857 vs 5557 dyno.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 631
I’m kind of biased with my ‘tiny’ TA-49 turbo – its getting the job done, and look at the times in my signature.

60-57 (7 blade turbo) lost out to the 58/57 (6 blade) so PTE ditched it. All this info is in the EVO/Import world since those Vendors need to dyno turbos because that crowd is spoiled and won't buy anything until the parts have been dyno'd and proven.

This is how PTE's horsepower #'s came under fire since this crowd was making over 780awhp on a 62/62 and PTE says 670hp.

Attachment is how the 58/57 owned a 55/57, this shouldn't be a surprise as they have the same exhaust wheel yet the compressor is 3mm larger. 50whp better and barely a difference in spool.

Thats an interesting graph. Must have been a 3rd gear pull. Id like to see the boost graphed out on the same pulls. Those numbers would propel a TR to very low 10's off the foot brake fairly easily.