You can type here any text you want

Help Priming Motor!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Where is your gage hooked up to? If it's in the tee by the turbo oil feed line then I would think you should have pressure on the gage. Do you have pressure coming out of the turbo feed or is it just trickling out? Maybe the gage is bad or you are missing a oil plug and it's just dumping out of the galley into the block.

Stock front cover or replacement?

I am running out of ideas other than open the engine up for inspection. :(

Yes, the guage is hooked up at the tee by the turbo oil feed line. This whole thing has me sick lots of time and money invested in this whole deal :frown:

As far as pressure coming from the feed line. There is a good amount of oil coming from the line definetly not trickling out, but isn't coming out with any pressure just some volume. i would equate it too pouring liquid through a tube and watching it come out as a free fall but not any pressure.

Going to call the builder this morning and see if he recalls putting in the oil valley plugs behind the timing chain as suggested by Otto.

Nick, I will double check your idea as well.

Thanks guy's

Did you check the plastic tube going to the gauge for kinks?. If there is oil going to the turbo feed, there is oil going to the gauge.

Good call on the builder, better to let him know about this now than to fire it up a shred something.

Did you check the plastic tube going to the gauge for kinks?. If there is oil going to the turbo feed, there is oil going to the gauge.

Ya, checked the line for kinks the first time when it was getting 10lbs, but i will double check it.

Rob, if the builder would have forgot the oil galley plugs and oil was gushing out while trying to prime wouldn't the cavity where the timing chain and oil pump gear is fill up with oil???? I ask because when you shine a flashlight down that hole there is just a very little bit of oil just where the shaft of the oil pump gear comes through, dry otherwise.

oil can escape from the front cover through the #1 main cap , lots O' room on the sides of that cap

its possible when installing the nylon line for the oil gauge to pinch the line shut with the ferrule by over tightening

oil can escape from the front cover through the #1 main cap , lots O' room on the sides of that cap

its possible when installing the nylon line for the oil gauge to pinch the line shut with the ferrule by over tightening

I can watch oil coming up the line slowly and it seems to get to a pont where it stops before the hose goes through the fire wall. It defenitely is not pinched shut at the guage itself will take it off at the tee and check there. Checked at the tee not pinched off there either. More and more it seems like it's bleeding off somewhere internally.

Not to ask a stupid question. but is the plunger in the bypass cavity? not just a spring in there correct? As i have witnessed this on a TR before where that was left out.

One more question that oil that is flowing out of the turbo feed line does it look foamy? like it has a bunch of air mixed in with it.

Is the said motor in question a stroker motor? if so i would check and make sure that when clearancing the block for the #1 rod on the oil gallery they didn't grind thru it and make it weak and it now has crank under the suction of it picking up oil?

Not to ask a stupid question. but is the plunger in the bypass cavity? not just a spring in there correct? As i have witnessed this on a TR before where that was left out.

One more question that oil that is flowing out of the turbo feed line does it look foamy? like it has a bunch of air mixed in with it.

Is the said motor in question a stroker motor? if so i would check and make sure that when clearancing the block for the #1 rod on the oil gallery they didn't grind thru it and make it weak and it now has crank under the suction of it picking up oil?

Definetly, has the in the plunger in it!!! The oil appears to have no air at all, and this a stock motor with ported irons, aftermarket cam and pistons.

Went over and helped Tony try to get something figured out,we took the oil cooler adapter off,and left the filter off,put the drill on the pump and within seconds out flowed over a quart of oil!!So then we took the pump apart and applied air to the feed port going to the block,and can now feel and hear air coming out of the can sensor hole:eek:Not sure if oil galley plugs are in,or if there is some type of leak between the and block and timing cover causing air to escape but I'm sure that is why we have no pressure!!He is going to tear it down possibly Tuesday.If anyone has any other ideas or thoughts please feel free to share them!Thanks guys!

tearing it down is inevitable Tony - you need to find out exactly what is going on.Who is this engine builder anyhow..?Dont tell me Wallace and DEwitt.

UPDATE:

To those of you who have wondered the outcome of why I have no oil pressure, here it is!! No galley plug :mad:

So now that it is tore down and i can see there is no plug how do I plug it without removing the timing chain gear :confused: I'm hoping it can be done cause I don't want to pull the cam to get it plugged :(

Is the plug at the bottom of the oil pan or did they forget to install it?

You can just remove the timing gear, tap a new plug in, and stake it real good so it does not pop out. No reason to pull the cam out.

UPDATE:

To those of you who have wondered the outcome of why I have no oil pressure, here it is!! No galley plug :mad:

So now that it is tore down and i can see there is no plug how do I plug it without removing the timing chain gear :confused: I'm hoping it can be done cause I don't want to pull the cam to get it plugged :(

see post #2

if they left the plug out id be checking more stuff too

There is an open hole you can see at 12:00 in relation to the timing chain gear. This is the oil galley hole I'm seeing correct???

no, plugs are at 10 and 2 o'clock of the cam hole like little mickey mouse ears
stock they are little freeze plugs approx 1/2 " , on rebuilds the passage can be tapped for threads and a threaded plug installed so they can never pop out

no, plugs are at 10 and 2 o'clock of the cam hole like little mickey mouse ears
stock they are little freeze plugs approx 1/2 " , on rebuilds the passage can be tapped for threads and a threaded plug installed so they can never pop out

Pacecarta, Your right and I just figured this out!!

I looked at a picture of a motor in the engine tech section that is just a bare block. I can see exactely the 2 holes you are talking about. I assume the hole at 12:00 should be there to drain off oil from the lifter valley.

After seeing this in the picture and taking loose the 2 bolts from the timing chain gear and sliding it back, I can see there are no plugs in either hole of the oil galley's :frown: But, the good news is I know why I wasn't building pressure :)

Back