You can type here any text you want

Help with turbo and stall combo :)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dsapper

Hello all, I've had some advice and just want to double check what the community thinks before spending any more of my hard earned money lol.

So I have an 87 grand national that is in the process of some of these upgrades and has others, for sake of argument these mods though

Stock short block with upgraded Earl Brown oil cover
Champion aluminum heads with TA 1.55 roller rockers
206/210 hyd roller kit with double timing chain
Stock TB and upper plenum ported and polished (tb now 62mm)
Champion ported stock intake
PTE slic
MAF translator with 3.5" MAF
K&N intake and maf pipe
rcj racing 3" downpipe
t/a racing headers
cotton performance dual 2.5" exhaust
upgraded fuel pump with hotwire kit
razrs alky kit
turbotweak chip 60lb injector combo

I'm sure I forgot some things but /shrug

Basically I'm looking for a turbo/converter combo that would be the most fun on the street. I'm shooting for a 550 rwhp number but thats open. Its got tons of suspension components for handling and possible auto-x and will never really hit a drag strip.

I was told a 6262 with the new double ball bearing turbos but I was also told thats to big?! This is my first automatic, all my other muscle cars have been sticks so I'm at a loss with the converter/turbo combo. Any advice would be appreciated.

What converter/turbo you running now?

I'm in the exact same boat, got most of my upgrades out of the way and I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a turbo/stall combo sometime this summer.

Scenario 1- TE 44 and seeing how it spools with the stock convertor

Scenario 2- TE 60 with a (I'm guessing) 3000 stall

No real desire to run the track, just want a super quick spooling street car.

Good luck, sorry about the mini-hijack :biggrin:

Hello all, I've had some advice and just want to double check what the community thinks before spending any more of my hard earned money lol.

So I have an 87 grand national that is in the process of some of these upgrades and has others, for sake of argument these mods though

Stock short block with upgraded Earl Brown oil cover
Champion aluminum heads with TA 1.55 roller rockers
206/210 hyd roller kit with double timing chain
Stock TB and upper plenum ported and polished (tb now 62mm)
Champion ported stock intake
PTE slic
MAF translator with 3.5" MAF
K&N intake and maf pipe
rcj racing 3" downpipe
t/a racing headers
cotton performance dual 2.5" exhaust
upgraded fuel pump with hotwire kit
razrs alky kit
turbotweak chip 60lb injector combo

I'm sure I forgot some things but /shrug

Basically I'm looking for a turbo/converter combo that would be the most fun on the street. I'm shooting for a 550 rwhp number but thats open. Its got tons of suspension components for handling and possible auto-x and will never really hit a drag strip.

I was told a 6262 with the new double ball bearing turbos but I was also told thats to big?! This is my first automatic, all my other muscle cars have been sticks so I'm at a loss with the converter/turbo combo. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think a 6262 would be too big for that combo :rolleyes: You have ported heads and intake and the supporting mods around it. That turbo with PTC 9.5 would be nasty!!

Bison, its the stock turbo and converter now. Classic case of "while were at it" lol. I've had tons of sports cars and muscle cars and know what horsepower/torque range starts getting "fun" and am aiming for that.

When you say ptc 9.5" what stall are you referring to?

Thanks for all the help so far guys, this forum rocks!

Bison, its the stock turbo and converter now. Classic case of "while were at it" lol. I've had tons of sports cars and muscle cars and know what horsepower/torque range starts getting "fun" and am aiming for that.

When you say ptc 9.5" what stall are you referring to?

Thanks for all the help so far guys, this forum rocks!

I'm referring to a custom built converter. They are not spec'd by stall speed. Pump and stator combo instead. If you read the thread I have on running the 60-1 you would not be far off with the exception of the xfi if you ran the 6262 and ptc 9.5".

I'm referring to a custom built converter. They are not spec'd by stall speed. Pump and stator combo instead. If you read the thread I have on running the 60-1 you would not be far off with the exception of the xfi if you ran the 6262 and ptc 9.5".

I would guess that with the custom 9.5" that the ball bearing turbo is not *needed* unless you have the extra $ sitting around and nothing to do with it. :D

I was told the bb on the turbo was to minimize turbo lag, thats not needed with a good converter?

I would guess that with the custom 9.5" that the ball bearing turbo is not *needed* unless you have the extra $ sitting around and nothing to do with it. :D

You would not need roller or ball bearings for with that converter. If you were looking for 125+ id go .85 a/r ex too. Mine is an old p trim with a .85 and there is not much out there that will out spool it and run that quick. Xfi does help dialing in the fuel on spoolup though.

For that power range I'd definately run the 9.5 non lock. With the 6262 you can run a standard bearing with the 9.5 and still have great spool-up.

Back