You can type here any text you want

Home porting question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I see.... So if one is without a flowbench, then I suppose several heads will need to be 'ruined' before one truly learns the ins and outs...

You don't need a set of "junk" heads, but you really do need to read up on what you're doing. Read Pablo's post about porting and do a search to see what you can find, not just on the board. Pics are great but seeing what some one has done and getting an explantion along with pics is better. This gives you a better idea of where you need to concentrate on more and what you don't want to do.

Back in the day, when the Internet wasn't available, wonder what people done under their "shadetree"? :D ;)

port

Back in the day, when the Internet wasn't available, wonder what people done under their "shadetree"?-Several years back I have personally ruined set of heads just because I thought they would flow better if I ground the hell out of them or just hog them out but it isnt so.Without preping your self with some info and talking to people I would not start at all for an example air (or electric)pensil grinder that turns 30000 rpm with a good bit can do lots of damage quickly if you are not carefull or dont know.That is why I mentioned "junk heads" so you can get the feel for it and if you dig in too deep who cares ..Professional porter charges quite a bit but he earns his money..believe me -- and you get a good flowing set of heads ,,..So on the end it is a wager if you will..:biggrin:

Back in the day, I ported a set of heads the same way I ported 2-stroke cylinders. While the basics hold true, there is one BIG difference; The poppet valve.
Knowing what I now know, I am sure now that I ruined the first set of motorcycle heads. :eek:

While researching flow on a flow bench for both two and for stroke, the flow benefit when "reducing the port area in the right place" quickly became apparent. I am FAR from an expert and just understand that it takes a lot more than meets the eye. :wink:

When it comes to reading . . .
One of the best books on the basics is "Power Secrets" by Smokey Yunick.
If you have never done any porting before, read the section on porting 10 times before you ever start. :)

Here is a good read since you are out of county.

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread but how do after market heads flow un-ported vs. stock ported? Is it cost effective to have stock heads ported vs. buying aftermarket heads? This figuring the porting is done by a professional and not just by you a buddy and some beer lol.

What are your goals? I ported a set of heads and gained .5 in the 1/4 mile with a 208/208 flat tappet cam combo. And I was happy with that, however when I built my spare motor I sprung for Champion Irons, why you ask? Because I wanted a professional set of heads, you get what you pay for IMO.
When you do get down to grinding, do your self a favor and wear a good resperator/filter. Use the new gaskets for a template on the head ports, (exhaust and intake) this is also a good time to have the heads clearanced for a roller set-up, while at the machine shop for a valve job (even if this will be a future modification). And if the valve guides are cut down, replace the exhaust valves with the tta exhaust valve or a after market exhaust valve. Then put the seals on all the valves and not just the intake.(once the stock heads have the valve guide surfaced lowered for clearance the stock exhaust valve will not "pump" the oil out and you end up with smoke and a bad attitude)
My recomendation? Go for it, a great learning exsperience! And you will gain more power.... :)

Chuck

Back