homemade 3.5" downpipe

jpwalt1987

Here are some pics of the downpipe I made. Its for an external gate coming off of the front of the header. I made it out of aluminized steel since this is my first try. I didnt want to ruin a bunch of expensive stainledd steel. I thought about welding it myself but I got a friend of mine to TIG weld it. check em out. jeremy:smile:

Attachments

• 100_1601.jpg
    100_1601.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 874
  • 100_1600.jpg
    100_1600.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 871
  • 100_1599.jpg
    100_1599.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 878
  • 100_1598.jpg
    100_1598.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 874
Very nice job.

Amazing how a few bucks in materials and some labor amounts to $400-$450 from our aftermarket suppliers. :)

I've probably got about $250 in parts and labor. not including my labor. A good DP is well worth the money. It was a big headache actually. but i like saying I did it myself:cool:

Looks nice....would have cost alot more if you didnt have a buddie with a nice tig.....
anyone wanting to save the hassle see below----for sale..

Attachments

• P1010223.jpg
    P1010223.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 783
  • P1010224.jpg
    P1010224.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 778
It cost me $60 to get welded even though it was a freind. Had to run it through the shop. If i didnt get him to do it I would have MIG'ed it. Just wouldnt have been as pretty.

here are some more pics of tying the wastegate back into downpipe.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 666
Looks great but you should put a bellows on the pipe going to the dp to the gate. They are only $20 at atp turbo. This will save you a alot of pain when you install this in the car trying to line it all up. Believe me its well worth it!

Oh yeah it fits!!:biggrin: I built it in the car piece by piece. It is a tight fit though. Not much clearance between the frame or floorpan. It clears the heater box by a mile. :wink:

Its a lot of work to build these things as i know.... i won't build another one..

Attachments

• dp-7.JPG
    dp-7.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 588
I'm getting ready to build my own 3.5" downpipe. I have the materials coming in the mail as I type. It's going to be a external wastegated pipe that will fit with ATR headers and A/C. I might have to do a small body lift on the car to make it clear but "ya gotta do whatcha gotta do" since no one sells these things.

I don't know WHAT you guys are talking about??? Fabbing down pipes only takes about 15 minutes. That's why everyone complains about the price of headers and down pipes.;) :biggrin:

It's all relative. Design and build a clean sheet of paper independent suspension and steering system or a higher stakes project like that and exhaust stuff is a cake walk. At least exhaust work doesn't put your life on the line if you make a mistake.

Nice work i had to make one of my own to no pretty but you know i made it

Attachments

• downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 267
  • gt 40.jpg
    gt 40.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 257
Hey guys, nice work to all of you. That is pretty awesome! I am jealous of those fab skills!

Jpwalt- Nice job! I got a Bigwood Racing 3.5 dp, but I am not sure if they are still making them. I am always impressed when I see a copy of "Maximum Boost" laying around- probably the best turbocharging book ever written. Good job on the homemade DP!

I'm getting ready to build my own 3.5" downpipe. I have the materials coming in the mail as I type. It's going to be a external wastegated pipe that will fit with ATR headers and A/C. I might have to do a small body lift on the car to make it clear but "ya gotta do whatcha gotta do" since no one sells these things.

Now that sounds like a pipe!!! I bet you could sell a ton of those for $250 - $300.:D

btw guys nice fab work