Honestly Opinion Please...

DOUBAD RACIN1

Wanted to know everyone opinion on powder coating a intake.
Seen in a few places where they say its a disadvantage, cause it holds heat and the aluminum intake is designed to dissipate Heat....
So im assuming it would lose performance with holding more heat then normal...
Whats your take...

Heat conduction requirements largely depend on the set-up and operating conditions. A HA non-methanol injected charge can easily reach temps of 250F, and I wouldn’t want to diminish heat dissipation away from the intake via a ceramic coating. In addition, attempting to equalize wet flow in a dry flow intake requires heat, especially if the intake is under pressure. Cosmetic requirements are obviously different, but I no longer trust any work done coating the bottom of an intake in fear of paint flaking off.

If the intake is 250 and the underhood temp is 250 there will be no heat absorption, or heat radiation going on.....

Something to think about.

When it comes to heat, you can't look at it from the POV of what humans perceives as 'hot'.

I wouldn't paint mine but I'm not sure if it would affect it, I have no experience of painting it! It could cause it to hold heat, as when the car is moving temps shouldn't be anywhere near 250. Even if idling id hope your engine isn't at 250 degrees. Against polishing? I'm not sure if 250 degrees is what it would go but I'm sure the intake charge would get warmer than the engine temp. When we was taught in college for every degree you cool the intake temperature you cool the exhaust 3 degrees.

Will the aluminum be exposed to the elements often?

They develop a white chalky appearance after a while when exposed to moisture. Maybe clear anodize, powder coat, or aluminum colored paint. Hard to find the correct primer for aluminum.

That's the least of your/our problems.

Agreed! No need to split hairs for the average street application.

I would hardly be concerned with heat retainage caused by the powder coat. I'd be more concerned about high intake air temperatures in general with an 84/85 intake.

Get it powder coated and make it look pretty. Just don't let them coat the inside or underside. Then install an alky kit and cool that bitch down in a hurry.

Will the aluminum be exposed to the elements often?

They develop a white chalky appearance after a while when exposed to moisture. Maybe clear anodize, powder coat, or aluminum colored paint. Hard to find the correct primer for aluminum.

As long as your coater uses a little fluoride in his pretreatment and its cured properly you shouldn't have any (primer) adhesion problems.
Also ensure all internal access are mask off if and when they blast it media/sand. It has been the downfall of many a engine.

Re: 250F.
I carefully stated "Charge temp", "HA", "non methanol injected". You would be surprised what can be learned, if you ever measure under those conditions. Don't take my word for it . . . .

Seen in a few places where they say its a disadvantage, cause it holds heat and the aluminum intake is designed to dissipate Heat....
So im assuming it would lose performance with holding more heat then normal...
Whats your take...
Power coating is fine not going to hurt you at all

You cannot no go wrong with an opinion, so here is mine!

Having done both paint and powder coating on intake manifolds, I have not seen any temp difference of the intake air charge? I would never coat or paint the bottom of the intake.

Powder coat vs. paint is a big difference in cost, and many customers would rather use their budget elsewhere.

Paint will do well with the process I use when painting an intake. First it must be very clean.

I then heat the intake with a propane torch to remove all moisture, and then use an aluminum or silver paint.

After it is completely dry, I will do a couple coats of clear spray paint which holds up well even if gas leaks on it.

On a side note, I have also been very successful with using hi-temp spray paint on headers if they are also heated to 2-300 degrees to drive out any moisture before painting them.

You could have it polished. I did my own and I can do yours too. I only charge 25 cents an hour. Final cost will be somewhere around $23,456.00.

Let me know.

I powder coated mine about 8 years ago holding up good

Used a harbor freight kit and baked it in an old oven

I couldn’t imagine the nightmare of keeping up with polishing a stock intake. I’m getting arthritis /carpal tunnel

just thinking about it

I couldn’t imagine the nightmare of keeping up with polishing a stock intake. I’m getting arthritis /carpal tunnel

just thinking about it
It's brutal.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 94