Horn Problems...

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
A while ago someone broke into my car and since then my horn does not work. It could be a fuse, but I looked at the fuse box diagram and didn't see any fuses for the horn... so does anyone know off hand what fuse is for the horn?

Then, a related problem (I believe) is after this break-in I think the theifs ****ed around under the dash because now there is this 'clicking' coming from under the steering column, at least thats where I think I have narrowed the field down too. The car makes the noise in one of two senario's, I guess it depends on what kind of mood the car is in; it either makes it when the horn button is pressed or when the wheel is turned. I believe that the noise is something electrcial because it is only made when the battery is hooked up, or so it seems.

Any Ideas?

ach, my dad seems to think its a horn relay... I can't find a horn relay for the life of me, anyone know where to look for this?

I may be wrong, but I think the horn is always hot and the horn button actually grounds the circuit. HTH

The horn relay has three wires, black from the steering column and dark green to the theft -deterrant sytem and horns and red for power. I could not determine the location, but I have a factory manual at home and can look at it tonight.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
I could not determine the location, but I have a factory manual at home and can look at it tonight.

If you could do that, I would greatly apperciate it.

Thanks!

It's part of the Convenience Center that is located right side of dash and just left of the radio, in a not so convenient spot of course. Black box type device that chimes so you may locate it by the sounds if you open the door and leave the key in the IGN. ;)

The actual horn relay is located under the hood, behind the left head light. So as posted above, you should now turn your attention to theft deterrent convience center. You probably coud at least verify the signal or absense of signal to the horn relay and back track from there.

Originally posted by salvageV6
It's part of the Convenience Center that is located right side of dash and just left of the radio, in a not so convenient spot of course. Black box type device that chimes so you may locate it by the sounds if you open the door and leave the key in the IGN. ;)

it doesn't ding!! oh no! :(

gofstbuick, thanks, but I am going to bet the relay isn't the problem because this noise is definately coming from under the dash.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Both the theft deterrant relay and the horn relay are under the dash. :)

Salvage bear with me here because I am as blind as a bat.

I don't see any relay's under the dash, just a wiring disaster.

I am looking above the pedals, in the area just to the left of the radio right? All thats there is like a weather pack connector (or something similar) with about eight wires going into it and a round thing with a single yellow wire going into it...

Someone draw me a picture!! heh, just kidding.

First off you have to have the lower cowl thingy removed, it's mounted horizontally in the space between the steering column and the radio, about the size of a large pack of ciggies.

Connector is all the way to the front of it and plugs in, horn wires are on separate connectors I think.

Screws are hard to get at also to remove it.

Need plenty of light and you must be able to get your head under there to get a good look at it.

Mines never been out but I worked on a race car that had one.
Pain in the butt for sure. :(

Is this it? This is what clicks when I hit my horn:

IMG_0144.jpg
:confused:

Could be, hard to tell in the pic.

If it has 13 cavities for wires it is. One connector has 8. Horn has three together and there are two others also.

Two mounting holes in triangular ears on the side of the box.

The black box, the size of a cigarette pack, in the picture is the chime module. You can see the a grill on the side of the module, that allows sound to broadcast from the chime.

The horn relay is a small square relay next to the chime module. If you put your hand on the black box, feel to the side of it, that will be the horn relay.

Originally posted by Turbo Brian
The black box, the size of a cigarette pack, in the picture is the chime module. You can see the a grill on the side of the module, that allows sound to broadcast from the chime.

The horn relay is a small square relay next to the chime module. If you put your hand on the black box, feel to the side of it, that will be the horn relay.

So that box that WakkoSS has circled is the chime module?

And the horn relay is next to that?

Sorry guys I must be a couple bricks short of a load.

Horn relay should be inside that box assuming there is an 8 pin connector and 3 other wires with colors previously mentioned for the horn relay going into that box.

Theft deterrant relay is elsewhere.

WakkoSS, thanks a bunch for the pic of the relay box. I had the same problem, no horn after the stock security alarm went off. Although I never found the relay, I found two fuses behind the digital speedo. I took these fuses out and reseated them. The horn started working after that. Not sure if that was the problem or not, PFM I guess.

damn, I still can't find it...

I was feeling around that chime box, and I did feel a little box on top of it, it appears to be white, but I am not sure because my big head won't fit in there to see well. I felt around it, and I can't find any wires going into it except for maybe the side that faces the rear of the car. There also feels like there is a tab to lift off to unhook it to maybe pull it out. I tryed unhooking it and pulling it out, but I didn't yank to hard because I was afraid of doing some form of damage.

That small white relay is the horn relay. It is plugged into the convenience center. It should come right out when unlatched, problem is that you have no leverage in the confined space.

To confirm, you can sound the horn with your hand on the relay case. That should tell you if that is what you heard earlier.