Hot Air Intake Mods

it would be nice to see some flow numbers before and after. :frown: do you have any kind of estimate on price jay?

Havent thought about price yet. We need to see how much time we have in this one. We've made templates already for the plates going inside the intake and its completely machined out now. Randy will probably start welding everything in today.

We put a lot of thought into what we were going to do with this intake and between the two of us, we have 40+ years of turbocharger/engine building experience. I think we're on the right track with this intake. If it isnt going to cost us a zillion dollars, maybe we'll flow it. I wanted to have some heads flowed a few weeks ago and it was REALLY expensive so we ended up not doing it.

SDC12957.jpg

Interesting

Hey Jay, looks like an intake within an intake. I can hardly wait to get my foot on that gas pedal. Did you receive the ported throttle body? I have been trying to get in touch with you, but I understand you are busy. If you get a chance give me a call, as I would like to talk to you about the rear end in the car also, probably won't be much fun with a peg leg, and would like to see what it would take to get you to add a eaton posi. Have a great weekend and look forward to seeing you soon.

George

Hey Jay, looks like an intake within an intake. I can hardly wait to get my foot on that gas pedal. Did you receive the ported throttle body? I have been trying to get in touch with you, but I understand you are busy. If you get a chance give me a call, as I would like to talk to you about the rear end in the car also, probably won't be much fun with a peg leg, and would like to see what it would take to get you to add a eaton posi. Have a great weekend and look forward to seeing you soon.

George

Ill give you a ring this afternoon. My phone just lays on my desk so if Im not sitting right there, I dont hear it ring. I busted the screen on my last phone carrying it in my pocket, I dont want that to happen again.

Thank you Jay, For busting into the bottom !

Thank You Jay for busting into the bottom of the hot air intake manifold.

I Have a 1985 Hot air Riviera T-type Convertible, I hogged out my runners with a flex shaft sandpaper flap wheel on each side and made the center divider come up to a sharp edge,
WHAT MERGING MODS CAN I DO JUST FROM BOTTOM PIPE PLUG ACCESS, RETAINING STOCK APPERANCE?

I have a spare hot air intake and am thinking of merging the dedicated runners with a cutting mill from the access pipe plug holes, There should be a little common sense to this, how big to make the slot, or slots, and maybe equalize with a primary hole in the plenum divider up front and maybe large oval between the two big pipe plugs on the center divider plenum middle wall?

YOUR PICTURES ARE REALLY APPRECIATED, Thank you JAY CARTER

Regards, TURBO E38

bumpity bump

this is exciting stuff!!!!!! and far as i know, its the first time anbodys messed with reconfigureing the intake after hogging it out.

can't wait to see how this thing idles and accelerates

Thank You Jay for busting into the bottom of the hot air intake manifold.

I Have a 1985 Hot air Riviera T-type Convertible, I hogged out my runners with a flex shaft sandpaper flap wheel on each side and made the center divider come up to a sharp edge,
WHAT MERGING MODS CAN I DO JUST FROM BOTTOM PIPE PLUG ACCESS, RETAINING STOCK APPERANCE?

I have a spare hot air intake and am thinking of merging the dedicated runners with a cutting mill from the access pipe plug holes, There should be a little common sense to this, how big to make the slot, or slots, and maybe equalize with a primary hole in the plenum divider up front and maybe large oval between the two big pipe plugs on the center divider plenum middle wall?

YOUR PICTURES ARE REALLY APPRECIATED, Thank you JAY CARTER

Regards, TURBO E38

Youre not going to be able to do anything through the access holes. There's way too much stuff in there that has to be cut out.

bumpity bump

this is exciting stuff!!!!!! and far as i know, its the first time anbodys messed with reconfigureing the intake after hogging it out.

can't wait to see how this thing idles and accelerates

I guess you haven't seen my two intakes. One I sold one I still have.

must not've. i miss lots of stuff, i'm kind've a dummy :p did you reconfigure the inside before welding it up? or just hog everything out?

it was hoged out and a new box/plenum area was made as well as a few other things

yes that is it. i had no idea those photos where still in my photobucket. anyways i would like to get another intake done, but will only do it if i can get a stock ported one flowed and also get the one i want made done and flowed to make sure there is even flow out each port.

............ i would like to get another intake done, but will only do it if i can get a stock ported one flowed and also get the one i want made done and flowed to make sure there is even flow out each port.

Should no longer be a major issue with XFI, if there are close.
The flow rates in a dynamic environment are hard to do.

Maybe some day I'll get around to flowing a stock intake. :eek::tongue::rolleyes:

ah yes! the v1 intake, i've seen those pics. they cut the top and bottom off, cut everything out, and lowered the roof and raised the floor. now the turbo spits out right onto a flat plate, correct? which probably helped flow over a stocker, but jay looks to be cutting templates and actually tunneling/directing aiflow.
i agree that flowbench before and after, measuring air at each port would be almost a must.

ah yes! the v1 intake, i've seen those pics. they cut the top and bottom off, cut everything out, and lowered the roof and raised the floor. now the turbo spits out right onto a flat plate, correct? which probably helped flow over a stocker, but jay looks to be cutting templates and actually tunneling/directing aiflow.
i agree that flowbench before and after, measuring air at each port would be almost a must.

… now the turbo spits out right onto a flat plate, correct? ....

It sounds better if you say; “the turbocharger now pressurizes the now smaller; flat floored plenum.” I don’t think “spits out right onto a flat plate” is quite what will be happening. It does look that way.

i agree, i really didn't care for how it droped straight down on top of a flat plate. i would like to see a curve there as well. the reason i didn't like that v1 intake, is i had no idea how well it flowed and if the each port flowed evenly.

Almost sounds like it ate something it didn't like. LOL

lol!!! my choice of wording when posting has never been one of my strong points :biggrin:
and i'm not knocking the v1. 6sense here local is running one and has had very good results. wasn't it iwin engineering that did those? i wonder if they put it on a flowbench?

c'mon jay, updates!!!:eek::p

We havent done anything else to the intake except clean it in preparation to welding it all back up. Hopefully Ill have more information to share in a day or two.

More pictures of the V1 Intake.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 737
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 708
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 714
  • 4.jpg