Hot Air Intake Mods

Hard to show in the pictures; but the center partition has been removed.

The floor; and discharge from the turbo are flat. As this is a PV/T type of manifold; I’m not sure if there is much loss under boost. It probably wouldn’t make a great normally aspirated manifold.

The stock 84/85 Hot Air manifolds are really a pretty well thought out piece.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 712
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 673
wow, my old intake. damn those ports are not straight :eek: o well still worked out ok. i want to design a whole new intake for my car. i have an idea in my head but not sure what it would cost to make it.

c'mon jay! get your priorities straight!!! how often is it you said you have a hot air in the shop? :D:D:D:D:D

i'm anxious! any updates? :)

My efforts... 2 cents...

Owned a complete V2 setup - one of the few completed for Front mount. Someone in the group picked it up. :)

Before that...Had a "boxed" 1984 intake created... gutted it, port matched to Felpro 1200 Intake (required welding of several ports due to metal porosity), and flat plate enclosed the floor. The positional argument of doing this is; "how much will it flow?" Probably as much air as you can pump through it. IMO If you are pushing better than 18 lbs boost in "Hot-Air" form through such an intake you should see an improvement over the untouched "stocker." (Most of you Hot-Air" guys are pushing over 18 lbs now)

20/20 hindsight; How it should be done... someone should convert an '87 intake - offer a custom exhaust set up to fit the conversion that allows a larger turbo with 3" down pipe. Offer it intercooled... and non-intercooled, and methanol/propane injected.

Over the years some of the guys on this board have come up with some interesting twists on the Hot-Air effort... I wish you luck Jay and perhaps you will find that next best improvement. Hint: '87 intake ;)

Well, looking at the intakes posted here, thats not what we're doing. We're essentially completely reshaping the inside, keeping the floor right around where its at and building compartments inside the intake to redirect the airflow.

This is one I have in my shop now. It is now running I will get some newer pics tomorrow.

Steve Kaminski

Attachments

• DSC02310.jpg
    DSC02310.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 616
  • DSC02311.jpg
    DSC02311.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC02312.jpg
    DSC02312.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 615
6sense

lol!!!
and i'm not knocking the v1. 6sense here local is running one and has had very good results.

c'mon jay, updates!!!:eek::p

Kinda off topic but,........that guy still running his hot air? He used to be a regular on the board back in the day. One of the regulars experimenting with pump gas and alky. Tell him to stop in give us a shout sometime.

Pete

Owned a complete V2 setup - one of the few completed for Front mount. Someone in the group picked it up. :)

Before that...Had a "boxed" 1984 intake created... gutted it, port matched to Felpro 1200 Intake (required welding of several ports due to metal porosity), and flat plate enclosed the floor. The positional argument of doing this is; "how much will it flow?" Probably as much air as you can pump through it. IMO If you are pushing better than 18 lbs boost in "Hot-Air" form through such an intake you should see an improvement over the untouched "stocker." (Most of you Hot-Air" guys are pushing over 18 lbs now)

20/20 hindsight; How it should be done... someone should convert an '87 intake - offer a custom exhaust set up to fit the conversion that allows a larger turbo with 3" down pipe. Offer it intercooled... and non-intercooled, and methanol/propane injected.

Over the years some of the guys on this board have come up with some interesting twists on the Hot-Air effort... I wish you luck Jay and perhaps you will find that next best improvement. Hint: '87 intake ;)

Jay started this; but I'd love to see what the V2 and your "boxed" intake looked like. Please post pictures if you have them.

I am looking for more pics..

Many of such pics were uploaded "here" years ago. I might have some recorded and documented somewhere.

We lost a group of documentation and recorded effort when this website crashed... and I'll have to remind myself to silence myself there.

I was one the few to have a complete V2 kit - Front mount intercooler. I sold it to another member on the board (I believe he sold the car), and some one else grabbed a very low miles TA-33C as I was converting over to the current '87 set up.

The V2 was tested on one of the lucky first recipient cars and it was trapping a low 12 out of the box in the heat of summer. Then there was the human drama that unfolded shortly after I received my kit.

I hold the positional argument at a small chamber gutted intake will perform well with matched runners to the heads. Some of those intake ports will need to be welded to obtain a perfect felpro 1200 intake size.

I am watching this latest "hot-air" effort/outcome with interest.

This is the completed assembly. The car feels strong like a '87. I thought I had some pictures of the intake before installation. I willl have to look.

Steve Kaminski

Attachments

• DSC02565.jpg
    DSC02565.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC02566.jpg
    DSC02566.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC02568.jpg
    DSC02568.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 567
jay, not trying to start anything just asking questions.

how do we know the stock intake doesnt flow as good as the 87 intake? has anyone ever flowed both?

i know you would think as well as i, it doesnt flow as good but, what does the #'s say?

do we know if the stock heads can even flow as much as the stock intake?

guys

This has my attention here. I have access to flow benchs. I also happen to know where is can get my hands on a 84-85 hot-air intake and a 86-87 intake. I will do a comparision on both in stock form.

I really think that the hot air intake have better port to port flow VS the 86-87 intake. just do to the ram air effect the upper dog house has on the rear cylinders on the 86-87 intake. but RJC has a pretty good solution to the problem with a power plate.

The biggest restriction on a hot air intake is where the turbo mounts and the air has to make a 90 degree turn and it goes thru the narrow path. If one could add metal to the top on that area and then open the path up so there would be more flow with less pressure that would be a big gain. But only doing that and then flowing it would really show the gains.

one can only look at it and assume what is going on.

Jay what i would do i use a smoke machine and attach a peice of plexi glass over the bottom and use the flowing smoke to see where the air is actually flowing and where it stalls. just a thought since you don't have a flow bench access.

HTH guys

Pat broughton

Flame suit on!

Kinda off topic but,........that guy still running his hot air?

Pete

still around. he'll be back. when i talked to him last he was pretty busy with work and plans to build a bigger garage.

lots of ways to move around the tb and tubing. but to keep it a true hot air by keeping the turbo in stock location and entering the rear of intake, and not adding a intercooler. then its down to modding the inside of intake and as far as i know nobodys done what jays doing with this intake. i hope it works:)

thats awesome if you have access to flowbench slogn, i've never seen the actual numbers differance between the two

guys

This has my attention here. I have access to flow benchs. I also happen to know where is can get my hands on a 84-85 hot-air intake and a 86-87 intake. I will do a comparision on both in stock form.

I really think that the hot air intake have better port to port flow VS the 86-87 intake. just do to the ram air effect the upper dog house has on the rear cylinders on the 86-87 intake. but RJC has a pretty good solution to the problem with a power plate.

The biggest restriction on a hot air intake is where the turbo mounts and the air has to make a 90 degree turn and it goes thru the narrow path. If one could add metal to the top on that area and then open the path up so there would be more flow with less pressure that would be a big gain. But only doing that and then flowing it would really show the gains.

one can only look at it and assume what is going on.

Jay what i would do i use a smoke machine and attach a peice of plexi glass over the bottom and use the flowing smoke to see where the air is actually flowing and where it stalls. just a thought since you don't have a flow bench access.

HTH guys

Pat broughton

Flame suit on!

sweet, i want to see the #'s. what if we could get you a ported stocker like what i have on my car and jamie has on her car, could you flow it? we know they will go 10's but how to the flow. then i can compare them to my flow #'s on the heads. then maybe jay can send his to you and see what #'s his flows. that might be a huge sale there. if it flow alot better then mine and even i would buy one today

BOO!!! I guess some of you guys have wondered what happened to me. I’ve been spending time in V8 land and have been neglecting my poor old hotair.

Jay, you need to bring that intake with you next week to the Turbo Buick Nationals so I can check it out. I don’t know how next week will go, but we can surely flow your intake versus a stock hotair one at Richards anytime. I have a stock one sitting on a shelf in my garage that I can bring along. I’ve been running a hogged out intake I bought many moons ago off Ebay for about $40. I don’t know the guy I bought it from, but there aren’t any ill effects that I can perceive.

Richard’s shop isn’t that far from Big Wood, so I can’t see how flowing that intake can’t happen whenever you’d want. That and the fact there’s an interested party (myself) there too.

i would like to know where skturbo got that intake from. i would do a set up like that