You can type here any text you want

How a hack changes fuel pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chopped39

Started swapping interior in my girlfriends hybrid formula. Pulled rear carpet and about $hit myself.looks like they were looking for sender.They found it:mad: At least they did not cut the strap mounts. While cleaning all the stuff the guy left in car.I found tan t-top shades brand new in the box. to bad i am swapping to black interior.

Attachments

• IM000283.jpg
    IM000283.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,483
Pretty common. A lot of people do that rather than dropping the rear. I can see a "race" car doing that as it makes changing the pump easy. But why mess up a nice car by hacking it up? The rear was dropped in mine :)

Looks like they're jealous of the Toyota's that have the fuel pump access door under the back seats. :p

Thats sad. Funny thing is, with an air tools I can have a tank out in less than 45mins. Add a little time if I have to pump the fuel out. Are you going to be selling your tan t-top shades? If you please PM me a price and if they are the correct TTA tan.

There's more than a few threads on 3rdgen.org about this exact "shortcut" to a fuel pump change. All though I understand why they would want to do this, I wouldn't want to hack up a floor to shave off a few hours of work. And Hardway, I envy your skills to get a third gen tank on the ground in less than 45 minutes. It takes me that long to get the car up high enough on jackstands!!!

Hey trust me you dont know what your missing getting loose with the sawzawl is very liberating ...............................i guess im a hack , i prefer what my buddy called me once "Neanderthal racing " should be the name of my operation . Hey the body cost me a $100 the blades cost almost as much ................if you want i can take pic to add to this post " How a Hack gets the the top rear shock bolts "

And Hardway, I envy your skills to get a third gen tank on the ground in less than 45 minutes. It takes me that long to get the car up high enough on jackstands!!!

I know some peope jack up all corners of the car but I only jack up the rear. I also only jack it up as high as the rear end can fall with the brake lines still attached. I support it at the sub-frame ends in front of the LCA's. Once the fuel lines and sending unit connector is disconnected, I use hand tools to unbolt the exhaust but air tools take off everything else, the wheels, bottom of shocks, and gas tank straps. To make things easier, make the first thing you do, soaking all bolts with some penatration fluid.
I live by the saying, there is no job worth doing if you are not going to do it right. Plus, if you are installing a quality fuel pump and are careful with the sending unit an owner should not have to drop the tank again for a very long time.

Hacking up rear floor

Yes, it took me forever to put in an older version of the Walbro pump, and if I ever go to the next level, I hate to think about doing it again. Maybe I go w an external and a double pumper setup, like I have on my Typhoon.

My next level, if I ever get there, will be the stroked TA Al block. I was thinking of trying that twin turbo kit that somebody is making for the GN - not sure how it will fit into the TTA. Might as well spend it all, the kids will just waste it.

Back