How Arrogant does your TTA make you?

Who Needs 8

So I drove the TTA to work today, haven't driven it in a while. At lunch I stopped at a Parts Store (Oreilly) to pick some cleaner up. I walk in the door and the "kid" behind the counter says "Man, I used to have one of those."

My first thought was "No you haven't" :D But before I could respond he said, "Not a Pace Car, mine was a Red GTA." LOL.

It was when I walked around the isle to get some cleaner that I realized, that car has made me so arrogant toward people who own or owned regular GTA's. :cool: I'm not sure that it's a good thing.

Anyone else experience this?

I hate it when I go into the parts store and tell them I need something for my 89 Turbo Trans Am with a 3.8 V-6, The very next reply is They never made a Trans Am with a V-6 they were all V-8's and then want to argue about it :mad: The best one was I needed a trans pan gasket asap so I went up to Advance Auto Parts told them what I had and it's a 200r4 tranny and was told they never put a 200r4 in a Trans Am. He didn't even bother to look it up because he was right he knew his F-body's :rolleyes: :mad:

Oh the list can just keep goin and goin. Parts stores are always fun cause it takes a second fort them to find it and i feel it only confuses them the more i give input. Yes its a v-6 trans am, and no i'm not obbsessing over a 2.8 v-6 thirdgen.

Last night however was the first time the rain has really let up in the past month, So of course i went mobbin around and my friend and i kept running into different D1 Drift crews in the Oakland hills. My buddy has a tricked out Nissan 240sx nothing im really interested in but thats really what got us talking to these guys. First we ran up on an Turbo RX-7 and two Subaru's goin fairly fast in the opposite dirrection. We turned around and caught up and after we pulled over these guys where in disbelief when i popped my hood. They assumed it was the 240 making all that noise and i was just a random Trans Am that could keep up in the twisties!!! One guy goes, wait GM put that thing there from the factory!!! After i say u know its just a v-6 im interupted by another guy who goes NO NO wait its a grand national! So thats how notorious GN's are but how infamous TTA's are. The evening progress's and two more 240's show up one with a turbo, as well as a new BMW m3. After several ass whoopings i have officially shocked and awwed the D1 crowd. None of them talked **** and they all respected the TTA. Plus they kept trying to get my to drift with them, I'm not a drift fan so i passed. Something about having some guy tail u while ur sideways doesnt appeal to me and the forseeable future of my car. But on the way out i burned em through second correcting both left and right hopefully leaving my iggnorrant imprint of the ultimate sleeper on all of the new found believers!

David

Or, Man that's a nice Trans Am. What that's got a 305 or 350 in it. A V-6!! So it's a converted Firebird :rolleyes:

Jas89TTA said:
The best one was I needed a trans pan gasket asap so I went up to Advance Auto Parts told them what I had and it's a 200r4 tranny and was told they never put a 200r4 in a Trans Am. He didn't even bother to look it up because he was right he knew his F-body's :rolleyes: :mad:

When I needed one, I went onto their website to check the part number for the pan gasket/filter. The part number for the '87 GN is one number off the part number for the '89 TTA. They're the same, but the part number for the TTA is special order, and the part for the GN is always in stock. :confused:

I was out on the Blvd. with the car not that long ago. The Blvd. is a 12 lane highway with a bunch of traffic lights. 6 lanes each way with a island in the middle of each 3 sections with cross overs from time to time. Well there is some nice long strips where you can get into it. On the weekends people race up and down it. Well I see a late 90's Rotstang GT zig zagging thru traffic trying to catch up to me. Loud exhaust on it. I was in the front at all the lights.. so we got to an open part maybe 4 miles with no lights. Well just as he caught up to my rear bumper I got on it and left him in the dust just pulling and pulling away from him till I didn't see him in my rear view anymore. when he got next to me a few lights later he yells out the window.. "what the hells in that thing!? NOS???!!! I've raced a bunch of GTA's and I always kill them!" I said well next time you see one with the word TURBO on the fender you'll know better next time. :D Just then the light went green let him jump off ran him down in seconds and left him in my rearview again.

The kids won't play with me in the GN. I guess the open dump, Nitto's on the back, and black paint and blacked out windows scares them away. So far only the dumb ones like to try and play witrh the TTA :D For some reason when I'm in the TTA it's much more fun to hand someone's a$$ to them then killin them in the GN :D

phillyturbosix said:
The Blvd. is a 12 lane highway with a bunch of traffic lights. 6 lanes each way with a island in the middle of each 3 sections with cross overs from time to time. Well there is some nice long strips where you can get into it. On the weekends people race up and down it. :D

Oh you luckyDog!!! MAN do I miss the Roosevelt Dragstrip!!

I have to drive ~15 miles just to get to a 2 lane highway with a few lights...
NO Racing up here.....SUCKS!!!

I can't help but smile every time see the expression on peoples faces when I tell them it's a 3.8

I like all F-bodies, especially when your looking down on the lesser cars ;)

Nothing can compare in my eyes :cool:

I just loved last weekend when one kid tried telling me that Pace cars never came with a V6 in them. I asked him if we was willing to bet $20 on it. Unfortunatly he wouldn't bet, but I guess he just thought that he knew more about my car than I did.

I don't normally get too many compliments or even comments fromm people who are around my age (18), but I love sitting there and talking with guys in their 40s who talk about how they remember when these cars came out and they always wished they could own one. It's always nice getting compliments from your elders, especially at car shows.

Yep got all those response in the TTA, I also get them with my 1st Gen lightnings, Im always being told "thats not a lightning","you just put the stickers on" hahahaha

Sounds like you TTA guys have the same problems that us GN owners have. Stupid people saying stupid things!

Even when I'm driving my V-6 Ranger, I've grown intolerant of Wannabe hot rodders (usually import cars with fart cans driving at 6k RPM and barely moving). I'm intolerant more than arrogant, but do have a lot of confidenct in the performance of the TTA @ 18 PSI w/ Alchy :biggrin:

I confess that my head did swell a bit when a Z06, sporting a 415 hp badge showed a lot of respect on a main street here in town. :D I later gave him a ride and he was very complementary. He was proud of his 12.4 ET at altitude.... ;)

72firebird said:
I just loved last weekend when one kid tried telling me that Pace cars never came with a V6 in them. I asked him if we was willing to bet $20 on it. Unfortunatly he wouldn't bet, but I guess he just thought that he knew more about my car than I did.

I don't normally get too many compliments or even comments fromm people who are around my age (18), but I love sitting there and talking with guys in their 40s who talk about how they remember when these cars came out and they always wished they could own one. It's always nice getting compliments from your elders, especially at car shows.
It's cool that at age 18 you even know about these cars. It doesn't surprise me that much that people don't know about TTA'S, but I can't believe how many people (mostly younger kids) don't know about Regals or Gn's. I was at the pontiac dealer the other day and this kid salesman never even heard of a Grand National. He told me he had a supercharged Grand Prix on the lot, and it was just as good. What a loser :confused: Oh well I guess everyone on this sight is lucky cuz we love the Buicks and TTA's :biggrin:

missed

I am sure most of the kids today don't read Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. That's why they don't notice us.

:biggrin: Hot Rude and Car Crap don't know your either.

Pronto said:
:biggrin: Hot Rude and Car Crap don't know your either.

Hot Rod had a couple TTA articles back when they first out but GM High Tech has run quite a few cars recently. And so has Hemmings Muscle News and one of the Pontiac Magazines (I think it's High Performance Pontiac but it might have been Pontiac Enthusiast).

Jas89TTA said:
I hate it when I go into the parts store and tell them I need something for my 89 Turbo Trans Am with a 3.8 V-6, The very next reply is They never made a Trans Am with a V-6 they were all V-8's and then want to argue about it :mad:
hehe, I can't tell you how many times I've been at the auto store for something on one of my TA and the guy has to ask who makes the Trans Am....complete idiot.
As far as buying parts in general..I always find the part# on the internet and then go buy it as those idiots always seem to get you the wrong part.

For those who are not familiar with these cars it can be very entertaining for us, but for those who know these cars they will not embarrass themselves, two days ago I was driving down Route 202 a 4 lane divided highway, when I noticed coming in the opposite direction a brand new shiny corvette with a kid about 26 years old driving, and his hot little girlfriend, so I immediately made a u turn, he was already several red lights up from me, he already was engaging in a few races with some imports, and was driving very spiritedly, I felt for sure this would be a very good race, considering the fact I run mid 11's, as soon as I caught up to him at a red light that was the beginning of a long straight away he suddenly looked over and started driving like a baby, as soon as the light changed I ran off the line 10 pounds.

When we came to the next red light I actually had to sit there and wait, after the light had turned before he came up. His car was wearing Pennsylvania tags but for some odd reason he turned off at the very first chance he got, to get back to Pa all he had to do was to go straight for about two miles, but for some reason he took a road that leads him back almost two miles from where he started. Funny??

That these cars almost 20 years down the road can still intimidate a guy with a nearly hundred thousand dollar corvette. Speaking of grand nationals I actually had to sell my grand national because I could not get into any races, the only people that would race me were other grand nationals, no import would ever come near me. But then again the car runs low 10's and having a fuel cell dropped out the bottom is probably no help especially with two bright half-inch stainless steel lines coming from the big red tank. I wondered if this gives me away.lol