You can type here any text you want

How Fast On Stock Rods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta1240

CAMEL TOE
im getting ready to assemble my engine and was wondering if i should replace
the rods.the car should be in the lower 10s with steel crank and roller cam.i will be running about 25psi with a gtq 70.
thanks jim

I would replace them. By the time you machine and prep the old rods, for about another hundred bucks, you can get a set of K1 rods. Think of it as a little more insurance. I re-did my motor and regret that I did stock rods because the k1's came out right after mine was completed.

Stock connecting rods

And if you can't afford the K1 rods, you may want to consider SCAT h-beams thru Ebay for around $407.00 a set.

If you are planning on a steel crank then i would not waste time on the stock rods.

Replace them.. at that horsepower level, theyre definitely the weak link with what you have.

I've seen LOTS of bent rods, but have never seen one break that wasn't caused by crank/piston failure. If you plan on making more than 600hp. then be safe and use K1 rods. The factory rods will live at 700 hp. IF, and only IF, there is NO detonation. Period.

Has anyone tried the ebay stainless headers?I'm sure they are from China but for street applications they should be ok unless they don't fit.Let me know.Howard.

Has anyone tried the ebay stainless headers?I'm sure they are from China but for street applications they should be ok unless they don't fit.Let me know.Howard.

yes do a search and you will find alot on these headers but i wouldnt hijack someone elses thread.some guys dont like it.fyi some fit good some dont

I have made over 50 passes on my new DLS built 109 with factory rods. Just for the record at over 750 hp. It can be done, it may be better with after market rods though? Good Luck.

SCAT H-Beam Connecting rods

9SECVSIX, refer to ebay motors, enter: Buick Grand Natuibal 3.8 Turbo Connecting Rods Scat H

I have made over 50 passes on my new DLS built 109 with factory rods. Just for the record at over 750 hp. It can be done, it may be better with after market rods though? Good Luck.

Just proves they will last with no detonation. Aftermarket are definitely worth it though. I have 2 sets of old ATR h-beam road and they have been in several engines and they still are going strong and have never been re-sized. I have a lot of confidence running them.

Easy as it is to beam grind and shot peen, why waste the money on a set of after market rods that you do not need. Stock Buick rods are plenty good.
For added security (if you want,) have them cryo'd.

I've seen LOTS of bent rods, but have never seen one break that wasn't caused by crank/piston failure. If you plan on making more than 600hp. then be safe and use K1 rods. The factory rods will live at 700 hp. IF, and only IF, there is NO detonation. Period.

Again, the key is Detonation!!

hi 9s low 10s on a beater street car with alky @138+ .. would I recommend them in a rebuild ??? nope.. like others have said the aftermarket ones are cheap by the time ya do the stock rods over... oh ya NO DETONATION :p

Back