How much boost are you all runnin' on 93 octane?

Originally posted by tracer
forzfed, who sells 94 in the peg? Out west here the best I can find is Mohawk 92.

Mohawk! They actually got rid of it for one summer till a bunch of car guys and clubs sent them a petition and rang the phones off the line.:D Thank god it is back, these turbo cars absolutely love the ethanol blended fuel. You can't even compare regular 92 with the ethanol 92. Think of the boost levels I could run with alchol injection. That will be next year.

I tried the "new" Sunoco 94 in my GN. The "new" Sunoco 94 is less expensive for Sunoco to produce as it's nothing more than their mass produced 93 dosed with ethanol.

My GN hates it. IME, it's a big step back from the "old" Sunoco 94. I doubt I could run much more than 15 PSI on a typical summer day without significant KR. And I have an ME-16, a V-2, and ALL the other bells and whistles so far as bolt-ons go.

I don't know how you guys do it, but more power to ya. As it is, I'm running about 20 PSI with 100 octane at $3.499 per...

:)

Originally posted by strikeeagle
I don't know how you guys do it, but more power to ya...
How about someone stepping up and telling us how they do it..?

I have seen a lot of admissions but noone has told us just HOW they run so much boost on 93 octane. Are you guys running as rich as hell to cool the air charge or what..?

I run 21#'s in all 3 gears on 94 with no alchy - I could probrobly go a little more(I get 0.0 KR and 800 02's)but feel I'm already pushing pumpgas further than it should go,it does run good though :D

As for how,I don't know and probrobly wouldnt belive it if I hadnt done it myself.Actually I didnt belive it the first few times I turned it up,with my old car 17-18#'s was pushing it(1-2* KR) - this car 20#'s is no sweat.

Oh I run a Testa street chip

Steve

ok, how much is it gonna cost for you guys to divulge your tuning secrets to us? (getting out wallet:D ) LOL

I have worked and tuned on allot of TR’s. All TR’s are different and will not respond to exact set ups. Things like timing chain wear/stretch, dirty injectors, week coil pack, plug wires, low fuel volume, loose cam sensors even week O2 sensors play a major part in ones ability to reach high boost levels on 93 octane fuel. Kevin Wood’s T that I mentioned in the above post is one of those exceptional running TR’s. I think the chip can be dead on the first. I think this was the case with Kevin’s chip. It was dead on and did not require any timing or fuel adjustments. I have sent chips back several times to get the proper tune. My new motor with mildly ported irons, Comp 212/212 etc. will only run 17 psi. of boost on 93. This may be due to a stock I/C with a big neck. I know every thing else is fresh and in tune. I tune it the same way I tune all of the TR’s. This is by reading O2’s and KR. Some TR’s turn out better than others.

I do feel that the Power Plate plays a major part in allowing higher boost levels. Not to mention the use of larger I/C’s, front mount or stretch. I will notice a 1-2 psi increase in boost with the weather cooling down. Some will see boost increases as much as 4 psi. with a cold weather change. My .02

Cold Weather/Altitude

Chris, you said a change to cold weather will up the boost without doing any changes. I think my boost might have gone up a bit since it has gotten colder but didnt know why. Also, when tuning with o2's, is having o2's in the 800's to rich?
Can atitude affect boost, when running at buds creek which is I think 50 ft above sea level or so, i was running 15-16 psi, now back in Richmond, i am seeing it jump as high as 18, could this be a by product of altitude or am i just rambling like a madman? :)
Do larger intercoolers allow higher boost on the street, i would think they would but just want to confirm this, I know it will be car specific but what have you guys found?

For every day driving I run 26, and if in a hurry 28.
But, continued 28 always seems to lift a head.... Still working on trying to run 28 Full Time.

Generally it takes alot of work to run the big numbers.

Smoothing out the combustion chambers, and having enough injector are biggies. If your running a static injector chip, all I can say is good luck. Using something like a Translator Plus gives you some tunibility, and it corrects the oem ecm's problems.

We've got Sunoco 94 around here, and that's all I've ever run. With my PT51, Red stripe 40#' injectors, and a 18# ME thumbwheel I was able to run 17-17.5psi with the stock intercooler.

-Banning.

Before I installed the SMC Alchy kit & the RJC Power plate, I was able to run 17 lbs. of boost w/ no knock with 93 pump gas & a 93 chip, but then I installed the RJC Power plate I was able to run 19 lbs. of boost with 0 knock. I then installed the SMC Alchy kit & have run 24 lbs. of boost w/ 0 knock.
I've since added a LT1 maf, transator +, an extender chip, a big mouth cold air kit & now adding a 340 walbro fuel pump, so up it goes again....:D

The Darkside:cool:

I also thought it would be close to impossible to run >15lbs. w/ pump gas alone.But I have proved myself wrong with my father's car.He has a 60-1 turbo,new 50lbers,stretched i/c,RJC powerplate(helps alot), & a Jim Testa chip w/19* timing(also helps alot).Like stated before,It takes time and patience to get all settings right ie. (TPS,IAC,boost,FP),and making sure everything is up to par as far as your fuel delivery,all sensors,ignition,turbo/headers(no leaks),and motor(no loss of compression).I'm still a novice at this "tuning thing" and probably have lots more to learn,but as far as running more than 15lbs of boost ,I've done it with with the combo stated above on my pop's GN.We've got the boost now at 17-18psi all the way to the top of 3rd gear with the FP (line on) at 38psi,02's at 812mv and 0 knock.With the weather getting colder we've decided to look at the affect it will have on the 02's before we turn the wick up tho 19-20psi.HTH

:)

Right now on one I'm running 15psi (TE61) and on the other 18psi (stock turbo) on the street.

This is my gas mix :
- 33% pump gas 91-92 or 94
- 33% aviation gas 100
- 33% Xylene

Next season I'll run 23psi in both car with the SMC dual nozzle alky kit ;)

Originally posted by turbo buicks
bruce did you mean 26-28 lbs on straight pump or w/alky?

Pump gas,
no alky, no adders, just straight out of the pump.
Lots of timing tuning.

Originally posted by bruce
Pump gas,
no alky, no adders, just straight out of the pump.
Lots of timing tuning.

hahaha
ahould have read,
Lots of TIME, tuning

Originally posted by turbo buicks
bruce did you mean 26-28 lbs on straight pump or w/alky?

straight pump

i asked him about this about a week ago, i cant believe it! well.. i can believe it considering its him, but still, its hard to imagine!

hotair right here i run 15psi, used to run 17 but cant anymore.. the car runs better @ 15psi with the ATR dp than it did before at 17 with the stocker..

Guys,

What the hell TUNING are you talking about? If you don't burn your own chips/have a thumbwheel, and you use the stock MAF, then you're pretty much limited to:

IAC (set and forget)
TPS (set and forget)
Boost
Fuel Pressure
Spark Plug Type (i.e. Heat Range) and Gap (set and forget)

I must be missing something???

:D