You can type here any text you want

How much for a complete stage 2 motor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNJesse

I wanna run tens
I was just wondering how much stage 2 motors cost to build. I would like to run low 9's but i hear that those motors can be really pricey. thanks. Jesse

Use the search feature too...

You can easily do a "Search" on this subject and you will find it generally runs $15-20K depending on selection of parts.

I agree with Nick.. it really depends on your shopping ability. The best way to go in my opinion is find a complete motor already assembled. If you buy it in pieces and have to go through the "machining" phase, it will cost you a great deal more. Assembling these motors from scratch is ungodly unless you are real good friends with a reputable machinest, you can't buy anything from Autozone for these, it's like everything has to be custom made or machined to fit with proper guidelines on clearances. Stage II motors are definitely in a "league" of their own. There are a few guys on here who I'm sure have a set-up that would be of interest to you when the time comes. Best of luck to ya.

Stage 2

You want a stage 2, well do i have a deal for you. Complete motor with headers, pt 88 turb, cotton IC, Fast engine managment, with 400 trans and converter. Every thing you need, still in the car never been hurt at all. 256cu in. on center.Runs 9.2's at 149+. All you need is to add gas.

Stage 2

This is the complete set up 160# inj. laptop computer, waste gate, all piping for IC, Solid roller cam. Stage 2 heads , 4 barrel intake converted To FI. Fast is a sequential with WB 02. No junk here. $ 21,500 takes it all.

Re: Stage 2

Originally posted by Big88
This is the complete set up 160# inj. laptop computer, waste gate, all piping for IC, Solid roller cam. Stage 2 heads , 4 barrel intake converted To FI. Fast is a sequential with WB 02. No junk here. $ 21,500 takes it all.

You are talking about the whole car correct?I ASSume so because ou could buy a S2 car for near that price.

Drew, I have seen parts collections excluding turbo/s engine management, intercooler, wastegates, etc, go for nearly 15k. I'm not saying I would pay that much, but I could see just the motor going for over 20k.:)

The cost posted here are in the ball park. The part that has not been brought up is the rest of the stuff that must go with the Stage II motor. Safety equptment, roll cage, tranny shield or blanket, fire suite, gloves and a lic. Usually a different drive shaft with 1350 U-joints and maybe even a different rear end with different suspension to put the power to the ground.

Just a few more things to consider.

Good Luck

Re: Re: Stage 2

Originally posted by broke1
You are talking about the whole car correct?I ASSume so because ou could buy a S2 car for near that price.
Broke1, if you want a complete stage 2 GN car and engine you will double your price, close 40k if not more depnding. $20k for a stage 1 and not even that fast

True, but with engine cost and other options to get it legal on track, your getting up there on cost, unless someone is willing to give a car away and not request true value. But turn key, 9 sec Gn stage 2 and evrythng is mid 30's and up in most cases, thats all. Thanks for the reply though
:)

:rolleyes:

Apparently not worth $30k or thats what the guys would be asking.Seems under $25k will get you a VERY NICE S2 complete turn key race car(except for 1 of those)

Originally posted by broke1
:rolleyes:

Apparently not worth $30k or thats what the guys would be asking.Seems under $25k will get you a VERY NICE S2 complete turn key race car(except for 1 of those)
not in those cases, but in most in the last 2 years. I know since I had mine, the nicer the stage 2, the more it will carry period. You get what you paid for always in the end. I liked mine to be able to show and go, so all the ones I looked at through out the us for 2 years where up and down on price. Better ones where more costly and the less clean, less finished out where not, so it varries. If someone doesnt have the money to get the best, you take the ones not as clean, either way they are expensive, and fixing and replacing parts is too.:)

A "pro-built" chassis is upwards of 30-40k alone. The cars you see for 20-25k are usually just backhalf cars, and a lot of the work is so so anyway. I am doing almost all of my car myself, including the wiring, fabrication, and trying to find deals here and there as much as I can. I will still be about 70k into it when I am all done.:) I don't see the point of arguing about this, if you find a nice stage 2 car for cheap, then by all means, buy the f**king thing....

Originally posted by GNJesse
I was just wondering how much stage 2 motors cost to build. I would like to run low 9's but i hear that those motors can be really pricey. thanks. Jesse

Jesse, Hope this helps.

Stage II Block $2000-3000
Steel Crank $1100-1750
Good Used Rods $700-900
Pistons & Rings $600-800
Machine Shop Charges $1200-2500
SFI Balancer &v Flex Plate $600
Roller Cam/Chain & Lifters $1000
H.V Front Cover $ 200
Deepend Oil Pan $350
Duttweiler Oil Sys $350

SHORT BLOCK TOTAL ONLY $8100-11,450

Then Add Heads,Intake,Inj.,Fuel Managment,Trans & Converter, Headers,Turbo & Wastegate.

Thats another $9000-10,000

Then add any Gaskets,Shipping, & any labor charges on stuff you dont do yourself.

I'm not trying to sale Big 88's motor or anything, But thats a very fair price. Plus you dont have to wait 6 months on the machine shop or piston manufacturer.

Hope this helps you & GOOD LUCK
:)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155101&highlight=Stage

Being as that first ad was Big88's and the whole car was listed for 24K I would think his offer of 21500 is the whole car. I have yet to see a publicly advertised Stage car go for above 28K, excluding the full tilt tube chassis twin turbo racecars. I have offered mine off and on for the past couple years at 30K and had almost zero interest. Somewhere in the lower 20K range is the easy selling market. To get that extra 5 grand takes the right combination of seller and buyer. Problem is too many guys want the 9 second streetable GN and already have a GN to get rid of. if they would just sit down and realistically add up the money they would sell their car for 10K, buy one of the many done cars for 25K and still save a ton of money.

If any stage cars are selling for upwards of 30K they are doing so privately in small circles. Even Andersons personal car he sold a few years ago went for 28K and it was immaculate.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas
9.05@150--streetable, NHRA legal, showcar

Stage 2

I appreciate all you guys' help. I had no idea that a stage motor would cost me that much. Thats a lot of money. I dont think ill be getting one for a long, long time.

Re: Stage 2

Originally posted by GNJesse
I appreciate all you guys' help. I had no idea that a stage motor would cost me that much. Thats a lot of money. I dont think ill be getting one for a long, long time.

Thats the exact same thing I said about 8 yrs ago.:eek:

Most guys who are currently driving 11 second rides and decide they want to go low 10's or even 9's have no idea what they are really asking for or getting into. Making the jump from a 10 second car to a 9 second is world apart than the 11 second to 10 second jump. As far as the cost--to push 3500 pound cars to low 9s will cost $25K from scratch, no matter what motor you start with. Any GN guys I meet with relatively stock cars saying they only want to go 10's I tell to start with another car to race and keep enjoying their Buick as a driver.

Greg

Back