How to build a cool gauge panel for your GN

Stroker-ace

Boosted-brick
So I finally acquired all the gauges I need to build my panel, and started on it tonight. I will be going from the stock panel in the GN to a 4 gauge one filled with Autometer Cobalt series gauges. I have had a donor gauge panel and bezel kicking around the garage for months so I didnt have to hack up the original one.

First up, the donor regal stock gauge panel:

IMG_0303.jpg

The donor bezel, notice the baller status wood-grain:

IMG_0304.jpg

And finally the gauges that will be replacing that boring ass old panel: Fuel level, volts, 160MPH speedo with trip ODO and tachometer. I am using 2 1/16" for the aux gauges and 3 3/8" for the speedo/tach.

IMG_0301.jpg

I started by stripping the stock panel of all internals, so i had room for the wiring assembly on the new gauges.

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Then I measured out the speedo and tach on the plastic cover to see if i had enough room to mount all 4 gauges. My intial intention was to cram everything into this bucket so i could remove it with ease down the road and so i could still have functioning turn signal lights in the stock location. WELL, that was wishful thinking cause there is only enough room to mount the speedo and tach.:mad:

IMG_0315.jpg

So a NEW idea popped into my head. I pushed the stock panel to the side for another project I have in mind for a later date and got my dremel out. My new plan is to trim out the bezel as shown and put a cover over it with the holes cut out for the gauges. I'm going to find some green LED bulbs and mount them in the corner for turn signals, and have them feed of whatever wire controls them from the stock harness. Same thing with the High-beam bulb, only blue;)

IMG_0317.jpg

So I am going to be cutting the new panel out of this stuff that a buddy gave me to play with...I don't remember what he called it but its some sort of resin-lookin stuff covered with stainless steel lookin stuff. if I scratch it up too much, I'll just paint it black, lol.

IMG_0318.jpg

That was my stopping point for the night, I should have it almost completely finished by tomorrow minus installing it, which will be at a later date. Plans for tomorrow include cutting out the new bezel panel, cutting out the holes for the gauges, sanding and painting the wood-grain bezel black, attaching the new bezel panel to the stock one, acquiring and installing turn signal bulbs and making a wiring harness. I'll update with more pics tomorrow

Cover the entire thing in tape. Draw your lines and cut and drill, remove the tape and use a Scotch brite pad to fix any scratchs. It should look real good.

Coach

Looks familiar:D Listen to coach, It took me more time to remove all the scratches than to cut everything. Had originally thought I'd have the aluminum powdercoated, but didn't want to wait for the install.
Gauges.jpg

interior.jpg

Looks familiar:D Listen to coach, It took me more time to remove all the scratches than to cut everything. Had originally thought I'd have the aluminum powdercoated, but didn't want to wait for the install.
Gauges.jpg

interior.jpg
Nice looking........"on the list" for next shop project!!!!

Stroker keep the pictures coming. Been sure to show the wiring and speedo connections. I think I going to try this too!

Stroker-Ace: Just curious, have you seen these Cobalt gauges in action in the dark? I installed a set for a friend. I hated them! They looked cool during the day but at night they were so friggen bright that it was hard not to be blinded by them... (Kinda like driving with a bright blue flashlight in your face...)

I like your idea, just questioning the use of those particular gauges. Either way, good luck on the project.:cool:

I run the cobalt guages and love them in mine. Mine don't seem to bright at all to me but everyone is diffrent. I was running the digital guages and they were WAY to bright even after I put a layer of window tint over the lens. If they are to bright to suit you after you put them in that is an idea to keep in mind. Gives them a cool smoked look in the daytime and tames them down at night. Daniel Ray

I like the thread so far and I'm enjoying your commentary. Keep up the good work!

Nice work from Roc87!

looks sick....i totally wanna do this...just if there was a cutout of the guage panel to buy...im sure plenty of people would buy it

I got my wiring harness done tonight for it...I'll post pictures in the morning...i ahvent forgot about this thread!!!

Im doing the same thing I have VDO guages now but may change to somethingdigital. I bought one of the precut panels to use.
12170912451.jpg

Stroker-Ace: Just curious, have you seen these Cobalt gauges in action in the dark? I installed a set for a friend. I hated them! They looked cool during the day but at night they were so friggen bright that it was hard not to be blinded by them... (Kinda like driving with a bright blue flashlight in your face...)

I like your idea, just questioning the use of those particular gauges. Either way, good luck on the project.:cool:

Bringing up an old thread BUT i have the GS gauges (green LED backlighting, in pillar pod and console pod) and mine were way TOO bright At night. Sooo, i installed a resistor inline and it turned the brightness way down. I had to play with a couple fo diff resistors but finally got it to where i liked it.

SUBSCRIBED

Nice work but i cant help to notice there is no boost gage anywhere or is that on your pillar? Nice job though!!!!

Looks like this thread was forgot about. but if anyone reading my post has done a similar swap i was wondering if they had the pinout of the cluster plug(s) to wire up blinkers, hi-beam etc....gonna start this project soon and this info would save alot of time for me. also where to wire up the tach.....thanks