You can type here any text you want

How to properly torque crank bolt?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I went out to the store to grab a few things and my friend helping me with the car decided to torque the crank bolt while I was gone. He used a long starter bolt through one of the holes in the balancer up against the oil pan rail he torqued it enough to bend the bolt and the lip of the pan (folded it out), not enough to make the torque wrench click though. Hopefully my helper didn't mess up my new TA front cover.

What is the proper way to hold the engine to torque that damn bolt to 219ft/lbs?

Proper way would be a flywheel turning tool too hold and obviously you what's needed on the front...if you don't have a turning tool, then a screwdriver in the teeth works too just have to find a good spot to hold it.

Done that for flywheel bokts, didnt know if it would work for the crank bolt.

Ive always just ran them in with an impact and hammered down a couple times with a little blue loctite. Yes I know it can "disrupt" the harmonics, but I've been doing it for years and never had a problem.

Lol, what harmonics? Unless you are talkin aftermarket there isn't anything to disrupt on a stocker

Ive heard people say that it throws off the crankshaft, but these people are hardly reliable sources. Ive also been told that it can throw off the rubberband style balancers. I can vouch that those are fine to the 455 had one and that one has been off about 4 times.

Thanks all, I will try and torque it correctly tonight. Do you think there is a chance that my helper messed up anything? It's always great to have friends who want to help on your projects, but sometimes they think they know more than they do :confused:

I use some blue loctite and an electric impact that I got at Harbor Freight...mark the position of the bolt and keep tightening with the impact until the bolt isn't moving anymore...usually takes about 3 times...5-6 second bursts of the impact...have done it that way many times and never had a problem

in car i run a jack handle ( 18"pipe ) over the frame through the hole in fly wheel on starter side (converter dust shield off)

on engine stand you can put a 1/2 deep socket into the recess of the first crank bob balance hole

Back