You can type here any text you want

Hv Oil Pump Kit/oil Pressure Issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOKA72

Whats Up Guys....have A Question....engine Is Fresh...oil Pressure At Start Up Is 67#...warms Up It Drops Of Course...where It Will Hold 4-6# Smoking Hot....pressure Comes Up Very Quickly Way Above The Required 10# Per 1000 Rpm...i Had The Booster Plate In It And I Had To Use 2 Gaskets For The Oil Pump To Turn..so Now I Ordered The New Filter Adapter And Removed The Plate...same Thing Oil Pump Wont Turn With Supplied Gasket...so I Used A Fel Pro Gasket..just One And It Turned Freely...so Now With New Adapter And One Gasket This Is My Oil Pressure Readings On A Elec Guage....there Are No Noises And Everything Seems Fine...only Slight Silver Dust In Oil..when I Changed It.....i Did The Timing Cover Mods And I Have To Say When I Primed The Engine You Can Clearly See The Difference In Volume.....so Should I Put The Kit In To Boost Idle Pressure Or Not...eng Builder Put Eng Together With Std Mains And 001 Rods So I Dont Think Thats An Issue....sorry So Long....lmk What You Guys Think...thnx Vinny

Whats Up Guys....have A Question....engine Is Fresh...oil Pressure At Start Up Is 67#...warms Up It Drops Of Course...where It Will Hold 4-6# Smoking Hot....pressure Comes Up Very Quickly Way Above The Required 10# Per 1000 Rpm...i Had The Booster Plate In It And I Had To Use 2 Gaskets For The Oil Pump To Turn..so Now I Ordered The New Filter Adapter And Removed The Plate...same Thing Oil Pump Wont Turn With Supplied Gasket...so I Used A Fel Pro Gasket..just One And It Turned Freely...so Now With New Adapter And One Gasket This Is My Oil Pressure Readings On A Elec Guage....there Are No Noises And Everything Seems Fine...only Slight Silver Dust In Oil..when I Changed It.....i Did The Timing Cover Mods And I Have To Say When I Primed The Engine You Can Clearly See The Difference In Volume.....so Should I Put The Kit In To Boost Idle Pressure Or Not...eng Builder Put Eng Together With Std Mains And 001 Rods So I Dont Think Thats An Issue....sorry So Long....lmk What You Guys Think...thnx Vinny

Verify pressure readings with a good mechanical guage.

K.

TA Performance sells a real nice oil pump shim kit. They are plastic shims that vary in thickness by .001" Oil pump gaskets vary in thickness as much as .008" depending on manufacturer.
If you are using an aftermarket timing cover, check the cam sensor to oil pump alignment. I have had two aftermarket timing covers with poor alignment. It can cause the cam sensor shaft to grab the lower bushing (due to excessive side load) and spin it in the housing. I had this happen, and it sent aluminum powder through the engine. The engine bearings were good, and it took me a while to figure out the problem. Pull the cam sensor and check it out.
I try to maintain .0015"-.0018" of gear thrust clearance in the pump. It takes alot of hand lapping and gasket/TA shims to get it just right. Another possible source of oil pressure loss, and aluminum dust, is cam bearings.
Good luck!

TA Performance sells a real nice oil pump shim kit. They are plastic shims that vary in thickness by .001" Oil pump gaskets vary in thickness as much as .008" depending on manufacturer.
If you are using an aftermarket timing cover, check the cam sensor to oil pump alignment. I have had two aftermarket timing covers with poor alignment. It can cause the cam sensor shaft to grab the lower bushing (due to excessive side load) and spin it in the housing. I had this happen, and it sent aluminum powder through the engine. The engine bearings were good, and it took me a while to figure out the problem. Pull the cam sensor and check it out.
I try to maintain .0015"-.0018" of gear thrust clearance in the pump. It takes alot of hand lapping and gasket/TA shims to get it just right. Another possible source of oil pressure loss, and aluminum dust, is cam bearings.
Good luck!

Ken,

Never heard/seen of oil pump shims!? Got a picture and where/how do they fit the pump?

I'm wanting more idle pressure, will they work for that?

Thanks,
Jerry

Ken,

Never heard/seen of oil pump shims!? Got a picture and where/how do they fit the pump?

I'm wanting more idle pressure, will they work for that?

Thanks,
Jerry

TA%201704.jpg

TA Performance Products Inc.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Back