You can type here any text you want

Hydraboost??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Am converting the 55 to HB, and have a ?? on the hoses.
I'm not particularly "fond" of that much black rubber hose, and am considering ss braided, to dress things up a bit.
In looking @ the working psi limits of -6AN teflon hose, it appears I'm about at the max. [The HB works at as much as 2400psi]

NE1 have a suggestion ??

TIA,
:D

Hey Chuck, I've had a few nightmares with the braided teflon. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me!!!!! I cant stress enough STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

I know it has worked many times but I've had two failures now with the braided teflon and they werent pretty. These were both on that POWERBRAKEBOB guys kit that he was trying to push on here till he got booted. The braides popped and punchured the teflon. With the pressure the HB system is under, it was a total disaster. Luckily both times the car was in the garage. Stick with the stock lines or have all steel lines made.

I've had the ss teflon hose on my car a couple years now. No problems.

I just put another hydro boost system on a customers car.

Apr21_0005.jpg

Like i said, it's worked many times. But....I personally have had two failures now. One left the car stranded 6 hours from home. Luckily my buddies dad, who is retired, offered to trailer the car home for me.

There's two ways to look at it, do the braided lines work....yes. Have the braided lines failed.....yes. I've never had one problem with the steel lines. Jst my two pennies!:D

Thanks, guys....
I have a good "in" at the NAPA store. I could just have the hoses made w/ the JIC rated hose, and live w/ "ugly"...
However, as I understand, the HB has the inlet psi @ what the p/s operates at, [12-1500+/-], and the 2400 psi is only at the brakes..
I checked the DOT specs on the rubber hoses @ the calipers. It's good to something like 6000 psi.:eek:
I wonder why the teflon, being rated to 2500, let go at somewhere in the 1200-1500 psi area??
Was the hi psi to the wheels, plumbed w/ teflon/ss? Is that where they failed?

More thot time, B4 I jump on this....:D

One of each has busted on me. One was due to a pressure problem, the other was due to a braid punchuring the line and popping a hole in the teflon. I cant remember which was which to be honest. I contacted that POWERBRAKEBOB about the issues and he pretty much told me to get bent. So I just swapped back to the stock 84-85 booster lines since they are tried and true for the past 28 years now.

Chuck;
use the std pressure rated hose, you'll sleep better!
if you wanna dress it up, buy the fancy covers you slide over the hoses, cheaper and you still have the pressure rated hoses!

I kinda like the standard rubber hoses... looks more factory to me. I like the factory look. You can put some of the black plastic loom over the hoses like they do on some of the later model stuff....

Check with a company that makes hydraulic hoses Chuck. We've got one in Fort Worth that I've used before and they have the HD hoses with a stainless mesh on the outside and no teflon lining. It's used mostly in industrial apps and heavy equipment. Never had one fail and I believe they'll hold up to 10000 psi. You have to use weatherhead fittings instead of those pretty aluminum ones but they still look better than the stock ones.:)

Once the HB shows up, I'll get the fittings, make the measurements, have my NAPA guy make them up. [He did the ones on the car, now. Work fine] I'm done w/ pretty...Or, at least thot I was, til I looked in the mirror this am!:D:p

Thanks all!

Another plus with the rubber vs. SS is you dont have to worry with the SS braid "Grating" against anything it touches.

I bought a roll of aeroquip braided teflon line fittings made them myself and havent looked back or had an issue yet on my astrovan HB setup....

Well, after a couple brain farts, and 1 bad fitting, it's hooked up and working. I've got 2100psi at the ft wheels with a significant level of pedal pressure. ["Normal, common sense" braking puts a good modulated psi to the wheels.. 600 to 1200.]
Now, I get to redo the pump hi psi line!:mad: Seems as tho Eaton Corp didn't do a good job of crimping..:rolleyes:

Next, a driving test. Good thing I live in the country, and have a truck & trailer.:D

More, after I drive it.....:cool:

Check with a company that makes hydraulic hoses Chuck. We've got one in Fort Worth that I've used before and they have the HD hoses with a stainless mesh on the outside and no teflon lining. It's used mostly in industrial apps and heavy equipment. Never had one fail and I believe they'll hold up to 10000 psi. You have to use weatherhead fittings instead of those pretty aluminum ones but they still look better than the stock ones.:)
IMAG1431.jpg

What's wrong with the stock ones? I thought the looked good. The macboost guy has braided on his conversion. I saw it last time I was out to K-dale and he was running. I'll ask him about them next time I see him.
On a side note my brakes work better than the ever worked with the power master. I will do this to my GS when the time comes.

What's wrong with the stock ones? I thought the looked good. The macboost guy has braided on his conversion. I saw it last time I was out to K-dale and he was running. I'll ask him about them next time I see him.
On a side note my brakes work better than the ever worked with the power master. I will do this to my GS when the time comes.
If you need lines made go to Kims international off University in Fort Worth Rich. I've used them for quite a bit of hose work in the past and they do quality work and are resonable.:)

Am converting the 55 to HB, and have a ?? on the hoses.
I'm not particularly "fond" of that much black rubber hose, and am considering ss braided, to dress things up a bit.
In looking @ the working psi limits of -6AN teflon hose, it appears I'm about at the max. [The HB works at as much as 2400psi]

NE1 have a suggestion ??

TIA,
:D
I'm slightly confused. Are you talking about the lines to and from the HB, or the lines from the master to the calipers?

I'm slightly confused. Are you talking about the lines to and from the HB, or the lines from the master to the calipers?

From frame to calipers. I have ss lines from the m/c to the frame.
I left the rubber lines there, and called it "nice"...This heap is so fast, noone can get close enuf to see what kind of hoses are there!:D

Back